U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,064 times

Advertisements

Hiya folks. I'm originally from Wyoming, MI, went to school at GRCC, but at 19 moved to Kansas.

I plan on moving back to the Grand Rapids area sometime this year, but I'm not familiar with many of the other suburbs in terms of cost of living/housing prices and all that adult-type issues since I left the state so soon after graduation.

Wants/Needs/Ideas
*I will be finishing school probably online or at GVSU/Davenport & working PT, maybe in Wyoming, just off 131 near M6.
*He'll be working as well, probably painting/home repair type stuff
*Will be a couple looking to start a family in a few years.
*Mixed couple - I'm white, he's mixed, I'm looking for an area that won't judge that too hard - here in KS it's pretty common place
*Cost will be a factor, but he's pretty handy. We're thinking about looking at foreclosures in decent areas.
*EGR/Rockford is out of reach, cost wise. Wyoming, Kentwood type pricing is probably best, but again, not super familiar with the many suburbs surrounding GR.
*A little bit of land would be nice, or on the outskirts but near a highway, but I know that's not super realistic. It would just be nice to have a yard for a garden, etc
*I'm looking to find a halfway decent school district. I know we won't be able to afford an EGR or forest hills school, but I'd prefer something that performs at or above average, at least.
*Downtown area is a consideration, as long as is safe and at least has off street parking/small yard
*Would like an area/neighborhood that has a nice area for good weather type stuff, just walking, enjoying the outdoors - nice parks or trails

Any specific cities, neighborhoods, areas for an idea? I might stick with Wyoming, but I'm also not exactly sure how much it's changed since I've left.

Last edited by backtomi; 05-23-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,742,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomi View Post
Hiya folks. I'm originally from Wyoming, MI, went to school at GRCC, but at 19 moved to Kansas.

I plan on moving back to the Grand Rapids area sometime this year, but I'm not familiar with many of the other suburbs in terms of cost of living/housing prices and all that adult-type issues since I left the state so soon after graduation.

Wants/Needs/Ideas
*I will be finishing school probably online or at GVSU/Davenport & working PT, maybe in Wyoming, just off 131 near M6.
*He'll be working as well, probably painting/home repair type stuff
*Will be a couple looking to start a family in a few years.
*Mixed couple - I'm white, he's mixed, I'm looking for an area that won't judge that too hard - here in KS it's pretty common place
*Cost will be a factor, but he's pretty handy. We're thinking about looking at foreclosures in decent areas.
*EGR/Rockford is out of reach, cost wise. Wyoming, Kentwood type pricing is probably best, but again, not super familiar with the many suburbs surrounding GR.
*A little bit of land would be nice, or on the outskirts but near a highway, but I know that's not super realistic. It would just be nice to have a yard for a garden, etc
*I'm looking to find a halfway decent school district. I know we won't be able to afford an EGR or forest hills school, but I'd prefer something that performs at or above average, at least.
*Downtown area is a consideration, as long as is safe and at least has off street parking/small yard
*Would like an area/neighborhood that has a nice area for good weather type stuff, just walking, enjoying the outdoors - nice parks or trails

Any specific cities, neighborhoods, areas for an idea? I might stick with Wyoming, but I'm also not exactly sure how much it's changed since I've left.
Kentwood. It's probably the most culturally diverse area in Grand Rapids, and priced decently. Has a lot of older 1960's type neighborhoods all the way up to newer subs.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:08 PM

157 posts, read 261,180 times
You might also consider Grandville._

Old 05-26-2012, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Kentwood. It's probably the most culturally diverse area in Grand Rapids, and priced decently. Has a lot of older 1960's type neighborhoods all the way up to newer subs.
Do you know any sort of cross-roads for a decent area in Kentwood? I know it has the reputation of being, well, somewhat shady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canewbie View Post
You might also consider Grandville._
I know some places in grandville are fairly expensive, especially due to the mall and the area there being built up, do you know of any specific areas in grandville where maybe houses are older and/or prices a bit lower?

Old 05-26-2012, 09:04 AM

1,426 posts, read 2,655,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomi View Post
Do you know any sort of cross-roads for a decent area in Kentwood? I know it has the reputation of being, well, somewhat shady.
52nd & Kalamazoo. There are some nice, reasonably priced areas in Kentwood.

Quote:
I know some places in grandville are fairly expensive, especially due to the mall and the area there being built up, do you know of any specific areas in grandville where maybe houses are older and/or prices a bit lower?
Immediately SE of Wilson & Prarie and north of Buck Creek. Modest homes, nice area.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,742,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
52nd & Kalamazoo. There are some nice, reasonably priced areas in Kentwood.
What he said. It's a mixture. The only places that seem to be shady are those that have a high concentration of apartment complexes. There are a bunch of nice neighborhoods like Princeton Estates, Bailey's Grove (huge), Crystal Springs (also huge), with a mix of price ranges.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 PM

47 posts, read 87,422 times
I have relatives who live in Wyoming in the subdivision that's right next to Oriole Park and that seems to be a nice subdivision with very affordable housing.

There are also some parts of Wyoming that are in the Grandville school district, and I think the most affordable subdivision that in this category is on the west side of Byron Center between 44th and 52nd, where you can enter at Ancient, Parkview or Windview. There is also a subdivision across from that one on the east side of Byron Center (enter via Ancient or Easy Street), which is a little bit more expensive but you may be able to find a good deal under this housing market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area