Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:59 AM

6 posts, read 13,182 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am a 25 year old single mom of a little girl. I am very familiar with the Grand Rapids area as we visit every few months for my daughter to go to the children's hospital. We live 7 hours away in the upper peninsula of Michigan and have for 18 years. In about 7 months, I am taking my daughter and moving down there because I need a higher paying job as I have just graduated college and get no help from my daughter's (non existent) father. I have very little family down there to help me, but I do know that the Grand Rapids area (or surrounding areas) is where I want to live. My dilemma is that because i'm a single mom, I am very scared to live on my own down there and would like to live in an outside town. I have really liked Lowell and places like that. And because my daughter would be starting Kindergarten next year I would like her in a small school in places like Lowell rather than right in Grand Rapids. But if I find a job in Grand Rapids and she's 25 minutes away at school and something happens and I have to pick her up right away I just don't like that thought of being that far away because I have no one else to help me. I am leery about the schools right in Grand Rapids because of the crime i've been told about. What would you all suggest I do if you were in my situation? Like I said, I have about 7 months before I move, so i'm looking ahead. I am hoping that if I receive a nice job then we won't be low income, but I do know they have some nice houses and apartments on MSHDA as well if that was the case. I just need some input. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 01:27 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
If Lowell is too long a commute, I would suggest the close-in "suburbs" of Grandville, Walker, Plainfield Township, or Jenison.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. The only thing i'm worried about is it being too close to the "crime." I know everywhere has it, but i've just heard a few people complain about it being bad there now, and living alone with my child i'd like to pick a very safe place. Are those pretty safe places?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof11988 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The only thing i'm worried about is it being too close to the "crime." I know everywhere has it, but i've just heard a few people complain about it being bad there now, and living alone with my child i'd like to pick a very safe place. Are those pretty safe places?
Actually, that is the main reason I suggested these places. I am moving to G.R. and that was my major concern. I have not compared rental prices, but some years ago I was told by a real estate agent that eastward to Lowell rents and prices were generally higher, but don't take my word for it.
Small towns like Hudsonville and Byron Center are easy commutes, may be safer due to their distance, but I also have no problem with Grandville or Walker which are close-in and have more extensive shopping and amenities. I will be near the Standale area of Walker.
Again, I have not compared rents or real estate, but it is easy enough to search for comparative rates via trulia or zillow type websites.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 10-06-2013 at 07:25 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 10:32 AM

For outside towns I should have mentioned Comstock Park and Belmont (2 nice "burbs" with nearby shopping and an extremely easy commute) and Rockford and Sparta (slightly longer commutes). These are all on the north side. Major shopping is along Plainfield Avenue and Alpine Avenue.
I met a person working on Alpine who commuted from Kent City (M-37/Alpine Ave moves quite well).
https://maps.google.com/?ll=43.07415...28374&t=h&z=12

Marne is definitely "small town America" and an easy commute along I-96, but don't expect lots of amenities locally.
https://maps.google.com/?ll=43.03832...08256&t=h&z=18

Last edited by detwahDJ; 10-07-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-07-2013, 05:09 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Comstock Park can be affordable and nice if you can find a townhouse or small single family home to rent, but the York Creek apartment complex has a pretty horrible reputation. Plainfield Township/Northview schools quietly has a good reputation and might be more affordable than trendier areas.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:42 PM

THank you all for your help!

Old 10-08-2013, 07:28 PM

For safety, short commute, shopping nearby, I like Belmont on the north side. Jupiter Ave connects conveniently to Plainfield shopping. Can't speak to schools or available housing.
On the south it's Grandville.
Will you get a chance to explore and check these places out? Since we haven't covered it all, you might keep us posted for any further info you need.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Yes i'll get a chance to explore a little. But not much since i'm 7 hours away. THanks for the info! I'm really looking into Rockford...does anyone know of any good apartment complex's there? MSHDA approved or any small town near rockford?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:32 PM

Rockford's claim to fame is as the home of Hush Puppies. It's a small quiet town.
Wolverine World Wide Inc on TheRockfordNetwork.com - Rockford, MI - Serving Grand Rapids, Belmont, Rockford, & West Michigan

Have you checked the MSHDA website? Here's the Kent County listings.
http://www.michiganhousinglocator.re...px?County=Kent
Use this page to select the environs of a city.
http://www.michiganhousinglocator.co...cedSearch.aspx

Slim pickings on craigslist, but it changes almost daily.
grand rapids apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Sparta is similar with an easy commute down M-37 to Alpine.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=6661+...gan+49321&z=15
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area