U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 07:01 PM

1,944 posts, read 2,124,766 times

Advertisements

This evening I walked past a small ranch house on Woodward, south of Boston. The house had five (5) satellite dishes on its roof, and one on the garage roof nearby. Why on earth would more than one be necessary?

Bonus question:
Is any technology underway to make those things less eye-scaldingly hideous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,941,531 times
Were they the old huge ones or the newer small ones like DirecTV or Dish use? If they were the smaller ones some places need one dish for regular programming and another one for local programming. I know DirecTV was that way here when I had them. If the person switched companies, then they come out and install their own dish and leave their competitors dish/s where they are. Swap back and they install new ones, even if older ones from the same company are there already.

I moved into a house once where there was a set of dishes from both Directv and dish, when I signed up for one of them, they came out and installed new dishes again, when I asked about the old ones, the Installer shrugged his shoulders and said they just leave them and never come to get them. That would have left 5 dishes attached to the house so, I took the old ones down and tossed them.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 AM

214 posts, read 614,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
This evening I walked past a small ranch house on Woodward, south of Boston. The house had five (5) satellite dishes on its roof, and one on the garage roof nearby. Why on earth would more than one be necessary?

Bonus question:
More likely than not, the person was a FTA junkie (Free-to-Air). That means that they get feeds from all over the place rather than buying a single dish from a national provider.

You can still get all the time live news feeds (even during commercial breaks on other carriers), most local channels, and many national channels, without paying for cable.

It's a hobby like any other, but one that requires many dishes, a sat receiver, and way too much free time.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:59 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,797,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post

Bonus question:
As a previous poster said, they're likely an FTA enthusiast. Rare hobby though, surprised to hear about on these forums.

Satellite dishes, to me, are quite beautiful, especially when they are large or motorized. For some people, they aren't "eye-scaldingly hideous".

Old 06-22-2012, 02:17 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,736,423 times
My parents had a 12' C-band satellite that when I was younger was able to tune in, ummmm certain stations that we didn't subscribe to

Old 06-22-2012, 03:21 PM

1,711 posts, read 2,716,267 times
[quote=caspper69;24770453]More likely than not, the person was a FTA junkie (Free-to-Air). That means that they get feeds from all over the place rather than buying a single dish from a national provider.

You can still get all the time live news feeds (even during commercial breaks on other carriers), most local channels, and many national channels, without paying for cable.

It's a hobby like any other, but one that requires many dishes, a sat receiver, and way too much free time.[/quote]

I have a friend like that, he's into all kinds of wacky stuff, Russian Operating Systems, Ham Radio, has a giant dish in the backyard, he was showing me a live feed of some dude in India they think is God and people hand feed him grapes.
He was the kind of kid that didn't play with legos as a child, he took radios and tv's apart for fun and put them back together.....probably knows Radio Shacks inventory better than the chief of the company.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,941,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspper69 View Post
More likely than not, the person was a FTA junkie (Free-to-Air). That means that they get feeds from all over the place rather than buying a single dish from a national provider.

It's a hobby like any other, but one that requires many dishes, a sat receiver, and way too much free time.
You learn something new everyday. I never heard of FTA before, sounds interesting; but there is no way I could find the time for a new hobby (I don't have time for 1/2 the stuff I want to do as it is.)

Old 07-03-2012, 08:29 AM

161 posts, read 245,408 times
I was going to mention FTA also, I remember my younger brother talking about this several years ago. I think it was/is big in the Middle East which makes sense.

Topher5150 you sound like my son, he;s always trying to get the 'good' channels lol
Sgt Buzzcut- I wonder if your friend was my youngest brother (kidding) he always did things like that. He discovered at 9 how to take a original gameboy and attach a cut off electrical cord so he didn't need batteries. I'm not sure if those things had plug adapters or not but he created his own. Unfortunately it was the cord to my daughters baby monitor ( I had lived at home for a few months and it got left behind) The little turd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area