Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:11 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,276 times

Advertisements

At least that's what the local realtor association says, unsurprisingly. Considering how bad the market was last year it would have been a big surprise if the stats DIDN'T show improvement.

Calling it a seller's market is a bit self serving. There's a ton of homes still well below what they were 4 - 5 years ago.

Time to list your home? We're in a seller's market, says Grand Rapids Association of Realtors report | MLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
At least that's what the local realtor association says, unsurprisingly. Considering how bad the market was last year it would have been a big surprise if the stats DIDN'T show improvement.

Calling it a seller's market is a bit self serving. There's a ton of homes still well below what they were 4 - 5 years ago.

Time to list your home? We're in a seller's market, says Grand Rapids Association of Realtors report | MLive.com
I'd buy that. I'm hearing about bidding wars, which I've never ever heard of in my lifetime in this area. I assume it's because there are so few homes for sale compared to people looking??

Old 06-13-2012, 03:49 PM

51 posts, read 87,112 times
I'd believe that. Seems like just as I get excited about looking at a home around GR, it's gone! I really need to get a buyer's realtor to get the lowdown on homes going on the market long before they hit all the websites.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 PM

845 posts, read 3,271,626 times
We sold our house this winter. Had competing bids, a third couple that walked away because they didn't want to enter a bidding war and sold our house within 72 hours of putting it on the market.

I think the trick is separating prices from 5 years ago, from whether or not it's a seller's market.

The price argument has more to do with historical averages.
The speed and aggressiveness with which properties are selling has more to do with demand, which is clearly higher right now than it has been in the last few years.

Since we sold this winter, I have seen at least 10 houses within walking distance of mine sell.... most within 60 days (I'd estimate). So yes, I would say it's a sellers' market right now.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:43 PM

Let me preface my comments as the OP to say my experience actually has been similar to others who have posted ... I purchased Sept 1 and no less than 5 homes that had been for sale at that time in my immediate neighborhood have now sold within the past 60 days. As suydam mentions, this is a *conditional* seller's market for sellers who have owned for 5 - 10 years and are willing to take their lumps. Looks like some of the hold outs are starting to throw in the towel, perhaps out of financial necessity, perhaps fearful that another real estate implosion might rob them of the opportunity to bail once and for all ... or to purchase something else at historically low interest rates.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:05 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
School district also still matters a lot. My parents live in a low density residential part of GR that's got a lower crime rate than most of the suburbs. Typical family in the neighborhood is white collar professional with a high education level- a decent number of college professors and such. There's a house the next street over from them- walkout ranch built in the 70s with 3200 sf that's been updated acceptably over the years. Comes with a detached barn and almost three acres from the time when previous owners kept horses there. And they're asking only $225K for the whole thing.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro623 View Post
I'd believe that. Seems like just as I get excited about looking at a home around GR, it's gone! I really need to get a buyer's realtor to get the lowdown on homes going on the market long before they hit all the websites.
Steve Volkers and Diane Griffin are both good realtors. You'll have to google search them. Don't want to break forum rules as the moderator.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Steve Volkers and Diane Griffin are both good realtors. You'll have to google search them. Don't want to break forum rules as the moderator.
I haven't heard the same about either.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:05 PM

157 posts, read 301,951 times
I had a great experience with Pat Peterson of Coldwell Banker as my agent when I was looking to buy. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

Last edited by canewbie; 06-14-2012 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: i was the buyer. wording might be confusing.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
I haven't heard the same about either.
Ha, maybe they're going through growing pains. They both seem like good people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area