U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 PM

1,426 posts, read 2,655,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
Not when the decision is GR vs. MSP.

In that situation, MSP is costlier (according to the post above).

When the decision is GR vs. (say EGR) you might make up the difference in property taxes, or you might choose to live in Ada and avoid both.
Of course it's relevant. All those students for instance working in our huge bar & restaurant industry in GR are getting hit disproportionately with the first dollar taxed. Sure there's other factors but you can't simply dismiss the 1.5% either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 06:50 PM

1,426 posts, read 2,655,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
It may be a bit colder, but it also actively makes the most out of its winters, with festivals and events.
Sunnier there isn't it?

Old 06-30-2012, 06:25 PM

14,543 posts, read 24,888,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxr182gmail View Post
Thanks for the input everyone! Its so hard to make to make a decision when you've never been to either place (or even the region). The furthest north I've been is southern Kansas :-) ... in either case I am a bit intimidated about living in a city the size of Minneapolis, and GR seems more up my alley as for size... Still talking it over with my partner but personally I think i'm leaving towards GR (can't beat warmer temps AND more snow - although I'm sure i'll get tired of the snow pretty soon lol).

While I really like Grand Rapids a lot, I cannot believe that Grand Rapids offers all of the same cultural opportunities of the Twin Cities.

Fundamentally, I think that you have to determine which job opportunity is better and determine if that city is livable by YOUR standards. That should involve several weekend visits.

I will confess that I have spent time in both cities and must say that they are two of the cleanest cities in the Midwest and among the friendliest. And they are two of my favorites to visit when I want to get out of Chicagoland.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 AM

161 posts, read 245,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Sunnier there isn't it?
Yes. Yes it is. Western MN is even sunnier which is why I'm willing to brave sub freezing temps to get the sun. I'm seriously rooting for Fargo, ND/Moorhead, MN. Winter in West Michigan is hell on earth for me, way to cloudy.

NCDC: CLIMAPS - This is a map of the average overall sun hours across the US for a year.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 AM

3,194 posts, read 4,805,535 times
Depends what you want. Do you want the major city lifestyle? Minneapolis. Much smaller, yet still big enough for many of the ammenities? Grand Rapids. Water recreation is a draw, unless you just HAVE to be near the vast expanse of Lake Michigan. The lakes in Minnesota, inlcuding hundreds within the MSP metro, are more than enough to keep the aqua buff satisfied. I personally think having that many lakes in a major metro area is something that cannot be matched. The arts/cultural scene in MSP will blow the doors off anything in GR, which is not to say GR has nothing to offer on that particular front. COL is higher in MSP, but the nicer areas of GR seem to have really high property taxes if you're considering buying. And what is this big debate about which is colder? You will freeze your arse off in both spots during winter, and you will get a good amount of snow in both, as well. Many lament the bone chilling temps in MSP, but the GR cold is more damp in nature due to the proximity to LM, and there is no cold like damp cold. It can be 5 degrees in Minneapolis and brilliantly sunny, while it'll be 25, cloudy, snowy and miserable in GR at the same time.

Job market.....no contest. MSP all the way. Grand Rapids may be up and coming, but it's still Michigan, and this is a risk you take.

Finally, being from the TX/OK region, be sure you want to live in the north before you make such a big decision. It is a totally different world in every way from down there (I lived in TX 7 years), and the culture shock will be immense. I'm from the upper midwest, and I swear by it, but someone from down your way may see it differently. Not discouraging you, just friendly advice.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 AM

51,901 posts, read 47,730,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Depends what you want. Do you want the major city lifestyle? Minneapolis. Much smaller, yet still big enough for many of the ammenities? Grand Rapids. Water recreation is a draw, unless you just HAVE to be near the vast expanse of Lake Michigan. The lakes in Minnesota, inlcuding hundreds within the MSP metro, are more than enough to keep the aqua buff satisfied. I personally think having that many lakes in a major metro area is something that cannot be matched. The arts/cultural scene in MSP will blow the doors off anything in GR, which is not to say GR has nothing to offer on that particular front. COL is higher in MSP, but the nicer areas of GR seem to have really high property taxes if you're considering buying. And what is this big debate about which is colder? You will freeze your arse off in both spots during winter, and you will get a good amount of snow in both, as well. Many lament the bone chilling temps in MSP, but the GR cold is more damp in nature due to the proximity to LM, and there is no cold like damp cold. It can be 5 degrees in Minneapolis and brilliantly sunny, while it'll be 25, cloudy, snowy and miserable in GR at the same time.

Job market.....no contest. MSP all the way. Grand Rapids may be up and coming, but it's still Michigan, and this is a risk you take.

Finally, being from the TX/OK region, be sure you want to live in the north before you make such a big decision. It is a totally different world in every way from down there (I lived in TX 7 years), and the culture shock will be immense. I'm from the upper midwest, and I swear by it, but someone from down your way may see it differently. Not discouraging you, just friendly advice.
Please do remember this. The longest river in Michigan, the Grand River, runs through Grand Rapids. It goes to Lake Michigan. It is possible to take a boat to Lake Michigan through the river if you are willing to take such a risk.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 PM

43 posts, read 49,627 times
on another note the way people are leaving Detroit , Grand Rapids will be the Minneapolis of Michgan, if Lansing was right next to GR it could be our St.Paul lol

Last edited by GreatLakesStateofMind; 07-12-2012 at 10:00 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 PM

7,152 posts, read 7,951,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxr182gmail View Post
Have any of you been to Minneapolis? My partner and I are about to be relocating at the begging of July and I have to decide where to... I am down to the wire... I'm doing research like mad and have a job opportunity in both Bloomington and Grand Rapids... The winters in Minneapolis scare me... I'm from Texas/Oklahoma and the snow we get here frightens me, of course we do not have the road crews... Grand Rapids smaller size makes me think it would be somewhat easier to get around.. plus I think Minneapolis is just worse weather period... But all things Michigan come with a stigma unfortunately when it comes to crime and urban blight... I know Grand Rapids isn't that bad, but I only hear about how good Minneapolis is... I guess it comes down to the me liking the job opportunity in Grand Rapids more, but I'm not sure if I would like the city.

I really cant stand Detroit, and really really hate what they have done to our states reputation. The stigma you talk about belongs to Detoilet and they alone. Michigan is a safe, clean and rural state. It is no different than the other states here in the upper midwest. Mi, Wi and Mn are all very very alike in geography, and culture. Our neighbors do have an advantage on us in the respect they dont have a dead city in thier southeast corner like we do. Detoilet is an albatross around the neck of Michigan, a terrible place that has damaged our state terribly. Im not going to pretend Detroit is not bad, it is as bad as its reputation suggests it is. In fact its worse than that, truly a piece of the third world in the heart of North America. Thankfully though Detroit proper is in one of our 83 counties, and if you choose to live in Grand Rapids that mess will be 150 mile away. Other Michigan cities have issues, Muskegon and Flint come to mind, but they are normal problems you find anywhere. Detroit really is a special case, there is nothing else like it anywhere in the state. If you visit Michgian you will not see any of those negative stereotypes to be true anywhere but Detroit. If you visit Michigan you will find alot of lakes, alot of rural farm towns, alot of forest country and you will find a clean and safe state. Grand Rapids is a fine city, clean and growing. Other nice Michgian cities: Traverse city, Ann Arbor, Midland, Bay City and even the suburban ring around Detroit. (Just Detroit proper is bad) Come on up and check it out, just avoid Detroit. (thats what we do up here) We Michiganders treat Detoilet like an unwanted step child, we avoid them and ignore thier antics. We'd give the place to Canada if we could, but Im sure that would start a war. lol
Oh and about the weather difference between us and Minnesota, they are colder than us in Minnesota but we get alot more snow. (lake effect) Its a trade off I guess. Michigan= More snow Minnesota= more cold Good luck on your move to the upper midwest, whichever state you choose. Both are equally nice.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 AM

43 posts, read 49,627 times
I was interested in moving to Minneapolis also could someone help me out on some things? It would be appreciated

Old 07-15-2012, 02:14 PM

161 posts, read 245,538 times
What kinds of things? Minneapolis is on my radar of places to look into. I kinda want to the west side of MN too though-lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area