U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:10 PM

43 posts, read 49,610 times

Advertisements

for starters is it really gray most of the time? I don't know if I could deal with that type of wether everyday(kinda depressing). Also how much is it like Grand Rapids because from google mapping, it looks like GR x2 with more culture and does it really feel isolated? , as aposed to being in GR and having Detroit and Chicago 2 1/2 to 3 hours away and last but not least is Minne a mix between Northwestern(think Seatlle, Portland) and Mid-West(Milwaukee, Chicago) if anyone could just answer a few of these questions it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Last edited by GreatLakesStateofMind; 07-15-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:42 PM

16,409 posts, read 27,045,743 times
There's only so much information that you're going to get from a forum. If you're serious about moving, and you're going to be living here.. do you really want to base everything on other people's opinions? You've been given a ton of information, now it is time for you to visit and make your decision.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:13 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,741,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorestateofmind View Post
I was interested in moving to Minneapolis also could someone help me out on some things? It would be appreciated
Your best bet is to post Mpls questions in the Mpls forum.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:24 PM

43 posts, read 49,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Your best bet is to post Mpls questions in the Mpls forum.
Thanks ,I don't know why i didn't think about that lol

Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 AM

15,996 posts, read 37,256,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCanDoIt View Post
This is really funny to see a forum topic like this! I'm a Detroit native, who lived in Dallas, moved to Minneapolis (where I currently live) and will be moving to Grand Rapids in August.

First of all, Minneapolis and Grand Rapids aren't going to be that much different weather wise. So don't let that be a huge deciding factor.
I would strongly disagree. Although if you have a Dallas reference, they might seem more similar to different.

I grew up in Michigan, and moved to Minneapolis for 18 months, the winters in Minneapolis were shockingly colder. I'd never heard of plugging in your car battery at night before. It was commonplace in Minneapolis, and people looked at me strange to hear that I'd never heard of that before, having come from Michigan.

It seemed like it was always at least 10-15 degrees colder in Minneapolis. Felt drastically different to me.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:05 AM

15,996 posts, read 37,256,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorestateofmind View Post
for starters is it really gray most of the time? I don't know if I could deal with that type of wether everyday(kinda depressing). Also how much is it like Grand Rapids because from google mapping, it looks like GR x2 with more culture and does it really feel isolated? , as aposed to being in GR and having Detroit and Chicago 2 1/2 to 3 hours away and last but not least is Minne a mix between Northwestern(think Seatlle, Portland) and Mid-West(Milwaukee, Chicago) if anyone could just answer a few of these questions it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
I lived in both Minneapolis and Portland Oregon...and Minneapolis had a lot in common with Portland, Oregon. There were differences, but both were very progressive-minded, and had a lot of young hip people who valued bookstores, libraries, coffee shops, record stores, etc.

Whereas when you get to the bigger places like Chicago and Seattle...you feel a more business environment feel.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 AM

25 posts, read 33,251 times
Well ive never lived in either city but Grand Rapids i think seems too the better option i mean it still michigan like the other poster said but GR and its surrounding suburbs are kind of a bright spot in the state i think the biggest difference besides size is probably culture now if the ploitical views of a city are included in ur decision then heres the diff between the two GR and its surrounding suburbs= conservative and republican Detroit and its surrounding suburbs=Democratic and Liberal economy wise both dont have awesome booming economies like they once did but GR and the region as a whole is doing slightly better also religion does play a bigger part in lifestyle in the surrounding suburbs ie Holland,Zeeland,Houdsonville ect but the suburbs east and north dont have as much religion involved but are still religous pace of life is A LOT slower here so u have more time for things here COL is lower here which shouldnt be too much of a shock property taxes in those particular areas are. high but in the farther away the suburb from downtown the lower the property taxes....beaches are beautiful on the west side and the farther away from detroit u r on te east side the more beautiful the beaches also i think GR is better for raising a family as its a little bit more family oriented. and anything medical is better in GR i mean the medical mile is quite nice i note i do not live in either city i have visited both numerous times oh one more thing schools schools are. a lot better in the suburbs of both cities for example detroit= bloomfield hills GR= Rockford but both have great school in their respective areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area