U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 11:27 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,562,349 times

Advertisements

Got some wonderful news for those of you that have been looking for more transportation options to East Lansing, Detroit, and Chicago. It appears that Megabus is set to debut this new route in a couple weeks:

Chicago -- Grand Rapids -- East Lansing -- Detroit

I'll be pursuing grad studies at MSU pretty soon and will need to return to Chicago fairly frequently so I know I plan on making use of it. I'm sure Grand Rapids will benefit as well.

Great for folks that can pack light, aren't in a huge rush, and need greater frequency than Amtrak can offer. Plus if you're going to Chicago, you don't need a car out there most of the time. Megabus will be traversing this route 3x a day in each direction. I believe one run will be overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,746,739 times
Where are you moving from in order to go to MSU? While the Megabus option is great - I'll remind you most people in Michigan are used to their own cars and would think nothing of driving to Chicago. Megabus services are most useful in areas where people use mass transit sans owning a car (e.g. DC, NYC, Boston, Philly). I wish them well - and it will come in handy - but for such a short distance with a high percentage of car ownership - I'll be curious to see demand.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:17 PM

I'm coming from the Chicago area. I do have a car, but I don't think it would be necessary for me to waste energy, wear & tear, gas & time driving back to IL every single time that I want to go back. Once I get back to IL, I don't really need a car since I have access to my brother's vehicle back home (plus I can easily get to the suburbs from the downtown train station as well).

Keep in mind that I'd probably return to IL a bit more frequently than someone from Michigan that drives into Chicago here & there.

Also, if your end destination is somewhere near downtown Chicago, parking can be crazy expensive (traffic entering the city can be very ridiculous). I don't think most folks from Michigan want to come to Chicago and blow $40 per day in parking fees in the downtown areas. That being said, I'm sure the market for Megabus will generally be a younger crowd and folks such as myself that are packing relatively light and don't really need the vehicle the whole time at the destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Where are you moving from in order to go to MSU? While the Megabus option is great - I'll remind you most people in Michigan are used to their own cars and would think nothing of driving to Chicago. Megabus services are most useful in areas where people use mass transit sans owning a car (e.g. DC, NYC, Boston, Philly). I wish them well - and it will come in handy - but for such a short distance with a high percentage of car ownership - I'll be curious to see demand.

Last edited by reppin_the_847; 06-27-2012 at 04:29 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 07:21 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,746,739 times
Oh I agree 100%. When I lived in DC and NYC - I used to take it all the time. Just the tolls in Jersey/tunnels are enough to leave you hurting. I just was pointing out - I'm more curious (from a business side) how successful that route will be. Anything that brings in out of state dollars (via Megabus) to spend in Michigan is good in my books =)

Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 AM

Well, from what I've observed, Chicago - Ann Arbor - Detroit has been a huge success. Therefore, I think this new route has great potential as well. You have to consider that Chicago has a HUGE MSU alumni network, and some of these folks wouldn't mind hopping the bus to MSU for football games this fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Oh I agree 100%. When I lived in DC and NYC - I used to take it all the time. Just the tolls in Jersey/tunnels are enough to leave you hurting. I just was pointing out - I'm more curious (from a business side) how successful that route will be. Anything that brings in out of state dollars (via Megabus) to spend in Michigan is good in my books =)

Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 PM

14,551 posts, read 24,920,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Got some wonderful news for those of you that have been looking for more transportation options to East Lansing, Detroit, and Chicago. It appears that Megabus is set to debut this new route in a couple weeks:

Chicago -- Grand Rapids -- East Lansing -- Detroit

I would really like to use the Chicago-Grand Rapids route as it avoids the real hassles of driving through Chicago.

My only concern is that the bus will be FULL or very nearly full coming out of Detroit and that the GR riders will be left with just a handful of seats on the bus or worse, no seats.

Just remember ONE THING. The earlier you plan your trip, the lower the fare. I have received several $1 fares.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:10 AM

161 posts, read 245,824 times
If I lived downstate I would take advantage of this in a heartbeat. Even though I'm older than the intended crowd (37) I have no problem taking transportation like this. Just avoiding the hassle of driving and parking would be enough for me. I hope it takes off.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 PM

I'm not anticipating that the bus will be full or nearly full upon leaving Detroit. I say this for a couple reasons. Detroit already has a couple quicker Megabus runs to Chicago that stop in Ann Arbor. And in fact, I think more passengers get on at Ann Arbor than they do in Detroit.

Similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if East Lansing may yield a greater # of passengers than Detroit. Keep in mind that Detroit has not only the Ann Arbor connecting Megabus runs, but Detroit & its surrounding suburban stops also have decent Amtrak coverage (3x a day to Chicago) which both East Lansing & Grand Rapids sorely lack (these towns only have 1X a day service to Chicago). Detroit also has fairly frequent Greyhound service, which is a very different market, but important to point out as well. Additionally, for the upscale, time sensitive and business travelers, Detroit has a ton of flights to Chicago as well (I don't think that Lansing or Grand Rapids can boast this).

For all these reasons, I think you'll have ample room on that bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I would really like to use the Chicago-Grand Rapids route as it avoids the real hassles of driving through Chicago.

My only concern is that the bus will be FULL or very nearly full coming out of Detroit and that the GR riders will be left with just a handful of seats on the bus or worse, no seats.

Just remember ONE THING. The earlier you plan your trip, the lower the fare. I have received several $1 fares.

Last edited by reppin_the_847; 07-04-2012 at 10:17 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 09:46 PM

14,551 posts, read 24,920,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I'm not anticipating that the bus will be full or nearly full upon leaving Detroit. I say this for a couple reasons. Detroit already has a couple quicker Megabus runs to Chicago that stop in Ann Arbor. And in fact, I think more passengers get on at Ann Arbor than they do in Detroit.

Good points. I hope that is the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area