U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2012, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Us
43 posts, read 49,619 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
That's a bit of an overstatement. There are a ton of college kids that live in that area due to the cheap rent. I'm not saying it's totally safe, but I spent a LOT of time in that area. Between Eastern and Fuller is much better. I'll agree that west of eastern, and towards Madison is pretty rough.

I wouldn't raise a family there or anything, but if a bunch of Calvin kids can live there anyone can.
I don't completely disagree with you but even though that whole stretch is bad its actually worse going towards fuller especially Wealthy Street Market and Bemis Ave , the college kids stay north of wealthy in the nice area, but wealthy on towards south is the hood, on another note Grand Rapids is just wierd like that in a sense that you can be in Eastown or East hills and just go a little southward and be in Baxter which is a complete contrast

Last edited by GreatLakesStateofMind; 07-13-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2012, 10:24 AM
 
47,531 posts, read 62,171,166 times
Reputation: 22306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamadp View Post
Thanks for the input. She did the bus transfer thing this year so that's ok just wondered if there was a stop near there to take to the transfer? She had to walk a distance this year. I had heard south of Wealthy wasn't good so wondered if Wealthy itself was ok especially walking to the bus. She does have good instincts but I worry about safe practices as she always thinks nothing will happen!
I think your last sentence should be a good indication that she should probably live somewhere else. If she's naive and thinks nothing can happen, she will likely be too careless and there are safer neighborhoods to choose from. I would not want my daughter living in that area but in part because she's not street smart and also not used to living in a high crime part of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,742,937 times
Reputation: 3833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorestateofmind View Post
I don't completely disagree with you but even though that whole stretch is bad its actually worse going towards fuller especially Wealthy Street Market and Bemis Ave , the college kids stay north of wealthy in the nice area, but wealthy on towards south is the hood, on another note Grand Rapids is just wierd like that in a sense that you can be in Eastown or East hills and just go a little southward and be in Baxter which is a complete contrast
That's not that weird. Every city in the country has bad areas next to not-so-bad areas. Much of it stems from red-lining by banks and real estate agents back in the 60's and 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 11:31 AM
 
1,426 posts, read 2,655,507 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Your crime map shows nothing along Wealthy Street, and only burglaries and a drug bust South of there on Logan.
Try setting the time frame for something other than a week ... say 3 months. It's a disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Us
43 posts, read 49,619 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
That's not that weird. Every city in the country has bad areas next to not-so-bad areas. Much of it stems from red-lining by banks and real estate agents back in the 60's and 70's.
i understand there are bad and goods areas, i was just saying how in Grand Rapids how quick the type of neighborhood your in can change by just a few streets bro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2012, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,409 posts, read 27,048,745 times
Reputation: 16531
I wouldn't be living on Wealthy street and I'm a 24 year old guy. The East town area is good, but wealthy street is the main division between nice area and hood. Too many things can go wrong on that street and the further east you go the worse it gets. I'm sorry, but find a different place to live or go way up by East town. It can be seedy in East Town, but for the most part you don't have to worry that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 AM
 
1,210 posts, read 2,736,008 times
Reputation: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorestateofmind View Post
I don't completely disagree with you but even though that whole stretch is bad its actually worse going towards fuller especially Wealthy Street Market and Bemis Ave , the college kids stay north of wealthy in the nice area, but wealthy on towards south is the hood, on another note Grand Rapids is just wierd like that in a sense that you can be in Eastown or East hills and just go a little southward and be in Baxter which is a complete contrast

Well again I'm just speaking to my experience in the area, which was quite a bit. I had friends in college that all lived on Bemis, Sigsbee, Benjamin etc, right off Fuller. But now that I think about it, my friends that lived in really bad areas further west were actually south too. More like Hall and Eastern.

I do agree that south of wealthy is far less ideal than north of wealthy. But again, plenty of college kids that live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Us
43 posts, read 49,619 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Well again I'm just speaking to my experience in the area, which was quite a bit. I had friends in college that all lived on Bemis, Sigsbee, Benjamin etc, right off Fuller. But now that I think about it, my friends that lived in really bad areas further west were actually south too. More like Hall and Eastern.

I do agree that south of wealthy is far less ideal than north of wealthy. But again, plenty of college kids that live there.
now I get what your sayin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,742,937 times
Reputation: 3833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorestateofmind View Post
i understand there are bad and goods areas, i was just saying how in Grand Rapids how quick the type of neighborhood your in can change by just a few streets bro
That's every city in the U.S. bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Us
43 posts, read 49,619 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
That's every city in the U.S. bro.
True lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top