Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:21 PM

82 posts, read 300,666 times

Advertisements

For those living in GR, what are the odds this whitewater project comes together? Do most GR residents even know about it? Is there any buzz about it?

Being an outdoor enthusiast, maybe my opinion is a little skewed, but I think this would be a HUGE boon for the downtown area.

http://grandrapidswhitewater.org/wp-...nstraints1.pdf

Denver has something of a whitewater course in Confluence Park. Neat little spot. I think if the GR project ever got done though, it would have a much bigger impact on the city than CP has had on Denver. The Grand River is much bigger and it would be a bigger focal point in the city. I think it would be great. What's the word?

CP:
Grand River Whitewater?-confluence-park-denver.jpg

Grand River Whitewater?-ss-090219-denver-15_grid-7x2.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 01:57 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,849,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Granger View Post
For those living in GR, what are the odds this whitewater project comes together? Do most GR residents even know about it? Is there any buzz about it?

Being an outdoor enthusiast, maybe my opinion is a little skewed, but I think this would be a HUGE boon for the downtown area.

http://grandrapidswhitewater.org/wp-...nstraints1.pdf

Denver has something of a whitewater course in Confluence Park. Neat little spot. I think if the GR project ever got done though, it would have a much bigger impact on the city than CP has had on Denver. The Grand River is much bigger and it would be a bigger focal point in the city. I think it would be great. What's the word?

CP:
Attachment 99106

Attachment 99107
They just recently got their engineering report back as to the feasibility. It sounds pretty cool. They just need to raise $27 Million to make it happen.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
They just recently got their engineering report back as to the feasibility. It sounds pretty cool. They just need to raise $27 Million to make it happen.
Sounds way cool.

Now, granted I can't write a check to make it happen, but I actually thought the $27M price tag was somewhat lower than I was expecting.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Granger View Post
Sounds way cool.

Now, granted I can't write a check to make it happen, but I actually thought the $27M price tag was somewhat lower than I was expecting.
I think it will look a little more natural than the two examples you posted. They posted some pics on their Facebook page a few weeks ago:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old 08-01-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I think it will look a little more natural than the two examples you posted. They posted some pics on their Facebook page a few weeks ago:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Thanks for the link. That looks great. Hope it happens.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Wow, sounds and looks like a very cool project for the City. I hope it goes.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:14 PM

447 posts, read 1,245,415 times
While I'd rather see a sedate river like in San Antonio, full of little tour boats and gondolas and bordered by restaurants and shops--that's never going to happen! So, this would at least be some some of utilization of the waterfront, which has, for the past 100 years, been no more than an ignored "back door" for business along the river. How this ever happened is beyond me!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbusiness View Post
While I'd rather see a sedate river like in San Antonio, full of little tour boats and gondolas and bordered by restaurants and shops--that's never going to happen! So, this would at least be some some of utilization of the waterfront, which has, for the past 100 years, been no more than an ignored "back door" for business along the river. How this ever happened is beyond me!
Grand Rapids would probably have to create some sort of inlet off of the Grand to make that happen. Providence did something similar. In fact, I think the little river in San Antonio is not "real."

All of the dams were added to control the river for all of the industry that used to line it (sawmills, water cooling for furniture mfg, etc.). That's all gone now. Time to bring back mother nature!

Old 08-04-2012, 11:05 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,688 times
Quote:
Grand Rapids would probably have to create some sort of inlet off of the Grand to make that happen. Providence did something similar. In fact, I think the little river in San Antonio is not "real."

All of the dams were added to control the river for all of the industry that used to line it (sawmills, water cooling for furniture mfg, etc.). That's all gone now. Time to bring back mother nature!
Aaarrgghh.... 5 times tonight I've tried to add reputation to folks but it won't let me.

Yes, I agree. As an avid kayaker I would love for them to put in some rapids like the two photos in one of the posts above.

I hadn't visited downtown in GR in years but went down for a weekend afternoon last month and was pleasantly surprised by the riverwalk they do have now and the restaurants and such nearby.
Definitely worth cultivating further in my opinion.

(I was a cable installer downtown in the 90's so I took a drive down Division etc..... was surprised at all of the gentrification that's been going on. I wonder where all of the people who were displaced live now???)

Old 08-05-2012, 06:05 AM

235 posts, read 536,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
Aaarrgghh.... 5 times tonight I've tried to add reputation to folks but it won't let me.

Yes, I agree. As an avid kayaker I would love for them to put in some rapids like the two photos in one of the posts above.

I hadn't visited downtown in GR in years but went down for a weekend afternoon last month and was pleasantly surprised by the riverwalk they do have now and the restaurants and such nearby.
Definitely worth cultivating further in my opinion.

(I was a cable installer downtown in the 90's so I took a drive down Division etc..... was surprised at all of the gentrification that's been going on. I wonder where all of the people who were displaced live now???)
Just curious...what cross streets of of Division did you seem to think were undergoing gentrification?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area