Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 09:08 AM

16 posts, read 116,336 times

Advertisements

As Ive been looking for rental houses it seems like 99% have been in the southeast side of the city. The same can be said for houses for sale within our price range, <100K. So what is this part of the city like? There must be a reason real estate cost are so low in this area. I'm pretty sure we will end up in this area so I'm looking for some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:19 AM

845 posts, read 3,270,532 times
Depends where you are.

The "Southeast side" can be anything from Heritage Hill (rentals for college students and expensive historical king-sized home) to tougher neighborhoods.

For someone moving in from outside the area, the directional thing can be very misleading because the four quadrants are too large to put a single label on any of them.

Use this neighborhood map to help:
http://maps.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/website/CommunityDevl/viewer.htm (broken link)

I find that the neighborhood delineations are much better for figuring out what's nice and what's not.

Personally, if you're looking for a rental in the city there are plenty of good neighborhoods from which to choose. My personal favorites are Heritage Hill (walkable to downtown), East Hills (great places to eat) and Eastown (funkier than the others...in a good way).

Your price range ( less than $100k ) certainly should afford some options, but you will want to make sure you buy into a neighborhood on the way up, not the way down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area