U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2012, 01:18 PM
 
Location: East Grand Rapids, MI
845 posts, read 3,018,467 times
Reputation: 236

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitly check out artprize. I'm trying to figure a couple things out though. if you guys can provide suggestions:

She wants to visit a university. I've never been to University of Michigan, but is that a good place to visit, to get that college campus style vibe? good place to take pictures? I believe there is also an 'olde town' nearby?

She wants to go picnic. My first thought would be to take her to the beach and have a picnic there and watch the sunset, include a stroll Is that even possible? I did drive to Grand Haven once. Will that work? If not, is there a park nearby?
If you're in GR, there are no "traditional" college campuses (bricks, ivy, etc) but I do think there are some fun opportunities for photos in GVSU's downtown campus which is walking distance from the center of downtown GR. That said, it's a very new campus, so it's not what you're describing.

U of M is part of the city of Ann Arbor. The Law Quad has that old college feel and would be great for photos. But this is 2 hours away from GR in Ann Arbor.
You mentioned "Olde Towne," which as far as I know is a neighborhood in Lansing. Michigan State University is in East Lansing. Very pretty, old buildings, central campus.

The poster above me mentioned Evanston, IL and Northwestern. I think that's probably my favorite Big 10 campus, so I would suggest you do that while in Chicago and spend your time in Grand Rapids doing ArtPrize. In all seriousness with 2,000ish artists spread across hundreds of venues, you'd never see it all. Do that at night, hit Meijer Gardens and the Lake Michigan shoreline (Holland or Grand Haven) and you could kill 8 days here easily. The town of Rockford has a nice picturesque river/dam/downtown setting that you'd get some nice photos of. Heritage Hill has a myriad of cool historic homes (walking tour on the first weekend of October; http://www.heritagehillweb.org/pdf/walkingtourmap.pdf ). East Grand Rapids has a nice little downtown on Reeds Lake and a walking path around the lake which is worth a visit too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,742,937 times
Reputation: 3833
Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
If you're in GR, there are no "traditional" college campuses (bricks, ivy, etc) but I do think there are some fun opportunities for photos in GVSU's downtown campus which is walking distance from the center of downtown GR. That said, it's a very new campus, so it's not what you're describing.

U of M is part of the city of Ann Arbor. The Law Quad has that old college feel and would be great for photos. But this is 2 hours away from GR in Ann Arbor.
You mentioned "Olde Towne," which as far as I know is a neighborhood in Lansing. Michigan State University is in East Lansing. Very pretty, old buildings, central campus.

The poster above me mentioned Evanston, IL and Northwestern. I think that's probably my favorite Big 10 campus, so I would suggest you do that while in Chicago and spend your time in Grand Rapids doing ArtPrize. In all seriousness with 2,000ish artists spread across hundreds of venues, you'd never see it all. Do that at night, hit Meijer Gardens and the Lake Michigan shoreline (Holland or Grand Haven) and you could kill 8 days here easily. The town of Rockford has a nice picturesque river/dam/downtown setting that you'd get some nice photos of. Heritage Hill has a myriad of cool historic homes (walking tour on the first weekend of October; http://www.heritagehillweb.org/pdf/walkingtourmap.pdf ). East Grand Rapids has a nice little downtown on Reeds Lake and a walking path around the lake which is worth a visit too.
Totally not true. Aquinas College has a traditional ivy brick feel. It's a beautiful campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 01:23 PM
 
157 posts, read 261,157 times
Reputation: 48
Go to Meijer Gardens on a Tuesday when it is open late. Definitely spend time on Lake Michigan. If you are in Grand Haven and do not like crowds and are not afraid of stairs, Rosey Mound Park is beautiful. Also check out some stops on the Kent Harvest Trail for apple picking, horse drawn hayrides, fresh apple cider and donuts, etc.

It is also really nice to walk around Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids. If she likes to read, the library is nice and has some scenic reading areas with views of the lake.

You might even consider things like going horseback riding through the woods... Fall is an amazing time here.

What does she like to do at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 04:28 PM
 
Location: East Grand Rapids, MI
845 posts, read 3,018,467 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Totally not true. Aquinas College has a traditional ivy brick feel. It's a beautiful campus.
DOH! I completely forgot (how could I do that?!).
Sorry Aquinas! Absolutely beautiful (though very small) traditional college campus.

Entirely my bad. Thanks for correcting me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 PM
 
301 posts, read 714,961 times
Reputation: 71
thanks for all the suggestions. So I think I got it all planned out. I will instead take her to evanston in illinois, and also want to take her to lake michigan.

So just so I understand. I live in Grand Rapids. How/where is the best way to get to the Lake? I was looking at "experienceGR.com" and under lake michigan it gives a lot of lakes. Which one do you guys reccommend?

Also, for picnic purposes. Is there a beach with a sitting area?

Grand Rapids Beaches - Lake Michigan - Michigans West Coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 06:39 AM
 
Location: East Grand Rapids, MI
845 posts, read 3,018,467 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
thanks for all the suggestions. So I think I got it all planned out. I will instead take her to evanston in illinois, and also want to take her to lake michigan.

So just so I understand. I live in Grand Rapids. How/where is the best way to get to the Lake? I was looking at "experienceGR.com" and under lake michigan it gives a lot of lakes. Which one do you guys reccommend?

Also, for picnic purposes. Is there a beach with a sitting area?

Grand Rapids Beaches - Lake Michigan - Michigans West Coast
In terms of beach recommendation it depends what you want to do.
They all have benches (so I guess you'd call that a "seating area") but for the most part you go there for one of three things:
  1. Swimming - I'd go to Oval Beach in Saugatuck
  2. Sitting up high and gazing off into the distance - I'd go to Kirk Park in Ottawa County, or Tunnel Park in Holland
  3. Strolling in sand, enjoying natural beauty - I'd go to Hoffmaster State Park north of Muskegon (frankly this might be where I'd go no matter what... best "overlook" too)
  4. Downtown stroll from bar/restaurant to the beach - Go to Grand Haven, eat in town and stroll to beach

The beaches listed on ExperienceGR.com show much more than Lake Michigan. You really cannot go wrong one way or the other if you just drive toward Lake Michigan and pick a spot. That said, I've listed my favorites! Have fun!

Just out of curiosity, did you mention that you live in GR, but haven't been to the Lake before? Wow... that's pretty uncommon. You're going to love it as much as your visitor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 PM
 
56 posts, read 85,630 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
thanks for all the suggestions. So I think I got it all planned out. I will instead take her to evanston in illinois, and also want to take her to lake michigan.
Sweet. Let me know if you need any help with directions to Evanston, and where all the campus landmarks are, places to eat, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2012, 09:10 PM
 
301 posts, read 714,961 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalTDP View Post
Sweet. Let me know if you need any help with directions to Evanston, and where all the campus landmarks are, places to eat, etc.
Yes! I need help! Lol.

What are your reccommendation on all you mentioned? I'm curios about too where to park so we can walk around campus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 AM
 
56 posts, read 85,630 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
Yes! I need help! Lol.

What are your reccommendation on all you mentioned? I'm curios about too where to park so we can walk around campus
Hey, I left a big message on your profile wall... It's split into six parts, because they only allow 1000 characters, and it's in backwards order... let me know if it's incomprehensible, I'll send it another way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top