U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:14 AM

85 posts, read 266,637 times

Advertisements

Having been born in, and lived virtually all of my life in Grand Rapids, I have always heard random references to there being a park (or possibly parks) located somewhere in the city that has a view/bluff/point that overlooks downtown Grand Rapids. I know that probably one of the best options for a nice, posh park with a great city view is Ah-Nab-Awen Park/The Lawn at Gerald R. Ford Museum. But I'm convinced that there's probably a park in town I've never known about with an even better view. Are there any such parks in Grand Rapids that have a view/bluff/point that overlook downtown and you could lay down a blanket for a picnic or reading? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 02:24 PM

82 posts, read 112,912 times
Lookout park in the Belknap Hill neighborhood.

Speaking of which, I found this postcard of Lookout Park. Anyone know if the statue in the postcard is the same statue found at the intersection of State and Cherry? Why was it moved?

Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 PM

8,870 posts, read 17,737,702 times
Belknap Lookout Park. Crescent Park is good as well, next to Van Andel Institute.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,505 times
Yes, the statue is the very same one at the intersection of State Street and Cherry Street. As to why it was moved, I don't know just yet.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:40 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,038,887 times
Yep, the "lookout" is here I believe.

http://binged.it/1qs3HYT

Old 09-25-2014, 05:39 PM

125 posts, read 132,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFales View Post
Yes, the statue is the very same one at the intersection of State Street and Cherry Street. As to why it was moved, I don't know just yet.
From what I can find from superficial research on Google, apparently in the mid-fifties there was some lobbying by veterans groups to move it to a more prominent spot and they proposed to have it moved to Veterans Park which at the time was going through a major remodeling. I don't think you can literally find a more prominent spot in the city than the top of Lookout Park. I think the real concern was vandalism. Lookout Park had a reputation as a pretty rowdy place back then. Why it ended up in Foster Park at Cherry and State instead of Veterans Park is unclear. One theory is that being a statue rather than a obelisk, it didn't fit the new design for Veterans Park. Interestingly in the last year, Bruce Butgereit, the old civil war re-enactor who got the civil war monument on Fulton restored, has asked the city to again consider moving it to Veterans Park.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:43 PM

125 posts, read 132,863 times
Another good lookout spot on the west side of town is the pavilion at the top of John Ball Park. The access road to get up there is at the southwest side of the park off of Butterworth over by the Coke bottling plant.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:55 PM

10 posts, read 20,867 times
There's also a great view from the end of the Sunset Ave NW, but this is purely residential and there are no extra spots to park or set up a picnic or anything fun. Just take a photo, enjoy the view, and go.

223 Sunset Ave NW
https://www.google.com/maps/place/22...pids,+MI+49504

View from Lookout Park is much different to that on the postcard as the hillside has been allowed to overgrow.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,751 times
I grew up on Livingston, a block away from Lookout Park, and as a kid I often played around (and on) the statue. It was very sad when they moved it. But I now live on Madison, half a block from the same statue -- funny how things like that happen!

Old 02-17-2016, 10:20 AM

284 posts, read 938,252 times
We've lived in Grand Rapids for about a year now and despite the nice hills around the city, have only found a couple spots with great views. One of the best by far is coming down from I-196. Can't help but wonder why they don't put a look out in this location. Would be a great asset to show off the city!

https://goo.gl/maps/4QmhBdLxEru
Attached Thumbnails
Parks Overlooking Downtown Grand Rapids?-i196grdowntown.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area