U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Mvl

102 posts, read 126,039 times

Advertisements

"How is meijers a copycat of Walmart when Walmart stole everything from meijers. Meijers invented the supercenter concept."

Pls reread my post. I never said it was a copycat of Walmart. I said it was "walmartish."
I am not a Walmart nor Meijer fan. Prior to moving here to MI 3 months ago i was used to a higher quality grocery store aimed at a better clientele therefore carrying better quality products and more prepared foods. Case in point......, I went to the Rockford Meijer and asked for "prosciutto". The 2 women working at the deli looked at me like I had 3 heads and one asked me if I meant " Parmesan cheese." A customer next to me laughed and said "I hate this store." And she told me of a specialty store to go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 AM

85 posts, read 190,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Before everyone loses their dignity, these are DEVELOPERS making these pronouncements, not the companies themselves. In other words, you're getting all moist in the panties on the say of people in the same profession as Donald Trump.
Agreed on cautious enthusiasm, though it was mentioned elsewhere that H&M has already secured a space.

Quote:
If you do know your way around a kitchen you're much better off going to real ethnic stores for real ingredients and save yourself a ton of cash although that's too scary for a lot of people. Whatever.
On this note - where are the good Asian/Indian markets in GR? I don't see TJ's and ethnic grocers as competitors as I buy different stuff at each. Well, I do get some prepackaged Asian/Indian stuff at TJs when I want something quick, but we also cook quite a bit and buy "real" ingredients elsewhere.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 PM

5,367 posts, read 2,842,926 times
Quote:
On this note - where are the good Asian/Indian markets in GR? I don't see TJ's and ethnic grocers as competitors as I buy different stuff at each. Well, I do get some prepackaged Asian/Indian stuff at TJs when I want something quick, but we also cook quite a bit and buy "real" ingredients elsewhere.
Head out to Division. Lee's Market, also there's a place on Division right off 47th (there's a restaurant attached and kind of a mall-thing) also 47th & Breaton next to a garden store. I also seem to remember an Indian place like on Kzoo and 28th.

Not unlike of of the Hispanic places on Division, there's out there if your not a 'frady cat and are willing to work a little bit to get the real deal.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:58 PM

Aw, nuts. I stand corrected.

WOODTV: Trader Joe's not coming to GR

Quite disappointing. With the size of the metro area and the large EGR-Forest Hills demographic it's really surprising that there is no national brand "specialty/upscale" grocer in GR. I don't believe TJ's market really detracts too much from either the large grocers or the small natural food stores. It simply offers some alternatives to each (my opinion): better quality/more interesting prepared foods than big box stores, and cheaper organic stuff than natural food stores. People will still go to the other stores for the many things that TJ's doesn't have. But nowhere else can you find two (or three) buck Chuck wine.

How about Forest Hills Foods? Is it comparable at all in price or selection? Reviews on Yelp are generally positive but don't talk about price. Most common complaints are the store/parking lot are super crowded, more evidence that the area should be able to support a TJs.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 PM

5,367 posts, read 2,842,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadr View Post

Quite disappointing. With the size of the metro area and the large EGR-Forest Hills demographic it's really surprising that there is no national brand "specialty/upscale" grocer in GR. I don't believe TJ's market really detracts too much from either the large grocers or the small natural food stores. It simply offers some alternatives to each (my opinion): better quality/more interesting prepared foods than big box stores, and cheaper organic stuff than natural food stores. People will still go to the other stores for the many things that TJ's doesn't have. But nowhere else can you find two (or three) buck Chuck wine.

How about Forest Hills Foods? Is it comparable at all in price or selection? Reviews on Yelp are generally positive but don't talk about price. Most common complaints are the store/parking lot are super crowded, more evidence that the area should be able to support a TJs.
A developer popping off before papers are signed? Go figure.
The best part is how the Governor got punked too!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 PM

8,870 posts, read 17,737,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadr View Post

It's never over til the fat lady sings. The PR people know better than to fuel speculation.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 PM

8,870 posts, read 17,737,702 times
Quote:
WF at Centerpointe would be a fairly decent fit, especially since dirt is being pushed around on the site already. I could also see a TJ at the 28th & Cascade location. I'm sure there's an equally distressed strip mall out near Granville that could accommodate TJ making a twofer debut in the area. However, no way, no how will a Whole Foods go into the Knapp's Crossing development unless:

1. D&W abandons their store there.
2. Any developer associated with allowing a Whole Foods to setup shop in the same project as an established Spartan Stores location intends to commit professional suicide and never work in West Michigan retail development again.

I suppose anything is possible though. Pretty sure Spartan is not making a dime at Knapp. If they are it's because they're making it up on margin rather than volume (the $25 million dollar convenience store) since their basket size counts appear to be pretty small, as well as clues like the produce being kept a few days longer than a higher volume store would experience and the reduction of the fresh fish offerings. Who knows, maybe they will decide to stop the pain, cut a deal and move on.
There's hardly anyone in that store, for sure. I think they overestimated the growth rate of that area.

But you may have described Steve Benner to a "t". I remember when he erected a sign on the site that a trailer park was coming, when he was fighting with the planning commission. What a jackass.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:31 PM

204 posts, read 299,584 times
That's seems weird that store us always empty when they could have built a d&w at the old duthlers site in Michigan and fuller on the medical mile. But changed their minds at the last minute saying the demographics aren't right. That would have been a good spot for a trader Joes on the medical mile. Near Aquinas college and near east grand rapids.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 AM

1,944 posts, read 2,124,766 times
dadr, Forest Hills Foods is just a regular supermarket. The prices are D&W-ish, and the parking lot is always jam-packed with enormous, hulking vehicles. You'd think a cadre of Alaskan trekkers shopped there.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
dadr, Forest Hills Foods is just a regular supermarket. The prices are D&W-ish, and the parking lot is always jam-packed with enormous, hulking vehicles. You'd think a cadre of Alaskan trekkers shopped there.
Oh well, I read that they have a variety of organic foods. I also read about the jam packed parking lot but not the hulking vehicles. I drive a 13 year old hatchback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area