U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:10 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,742,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
dadr, Forest Hills Foods is just a regular supermarket. The prices are D&W-ish, and the parking lot is always jam-packed with enormous, hulking vehicles. You'd think a cadre of Alaskan trekkers shopped there.
I don't think that's true at all, about it being just a regular supermarket. Jeff Vandenberge the owner is quite innovative with how he runs that place. He gets a lot of accolades in the local foodie community, including local farmers. Does a Whole Foods store manager even know any local farmers?

Granted, if you're a food snob, it probably doesn't compare to a higher end store. But it does carry a lot more diversity than a Meijer or D&W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 PM

1,953 posts, read 2,128,495 times
^ point taken. I did not know that about the owner.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
^ point taken. I did not know that about the owner.
I didn't mean to jump all over you. He gives a lot of support to a foundation I'm involved with so I took it a bit personally.

I would agree that the parking lot looks a bit funny sometimes with all the SUV's in it. It does look like an army girding for battle. I'm sure it's due to the demographics in that area (high income households with kids). We don't shop there a lot, just for certain things.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 PM

14,543 posts, read 24,885,847 times
A thought ...

Aldi carries about 200+ skus that are also carried by Trader Joe's including German chocolates, crackers, and the like.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM

85 posts, read 190,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A thought ...

Aldi carries about 200+ skus that are also carried by Trader Joe's including German chocolates, crackers, and the like.
Except virtually none of the things that I buy at Trader Joe's (we shop at both).

Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,771,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A thought ...

Seems Aldi's was also selling horse meat "beef." Quite a bit was between 50%--100% horse. NOT that Aldi's was involved--it was strictly a supplier decision.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM

14,543 posts, read 24,885,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Seems Aldi's was also selling horse meat "beef." Quite a bit was between 50%--100% horse. NOT that Aldi's was involved--it was strictly a supplier decision.
That problem has been isolated to Europe.

And there are a lot of additives routinely added to ground beef in Europe.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 PM

85 posts, read 190,620 times
Default Update

After moving to GR I am more convinced that Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods would do well here. Already we had a bad meat experience with one major grocer, and from the other major grocer got some almond milk that was 3 months expired (it was not on some back shelf either!). We also visited a fairly large natural foods store since we have some specific dietary needs, and found the prices for similar items were sometimes double what we could get them for at Trader Joe's.

Prices are not that competitive at the major grocers anyway, so it's not as if Trader Joe's would outprice the market here. I would even welcome SuperTarget or SuperWalMart as I am used to those where we moved from, and although they're not good for certain things, for the basic stuff their prices are good and I haven't had the quality issues cited above. They could provide some needed competition, but I bet they're not here out of some agreement with Meijer/Spartan?

I'll obviously give it more time and shop around, but based on quality and price experiences so far I really hope TJ's makes an entry here soon.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadr View Post
After moving to GR I am more convinced that Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods would do well here. Already we had a bad meat experience with one major grocer, and from the other major grocer got some almond milk that was 3 months expired (it was not on some back shelf either!). We also visited a fairly large natural foods store since we have some specific dietary needs, and found the prices for similar items were sometimes double what we could get them for at Trader Joe's.

Prices are not that competitive at the major grocers anyway, so it's not as if Trader Joe's would outprice the market here. I would even welcome SuperTarget or SuperWalMart as I am used to those where we moved from, and although they're not good for certain things, for the basic stuff their prices are good and I haven't had the quality issues cited above. They could provide some needed competition, but I bet they're not here out of some agreement with Meijer/Spartan?

I'll obviously give it more time and shop around, but based on quality and price experiences so far I really hope TJ's makes an entry here soon.
There are Super Targets and Super Walmarts here already. Don't get your hopes up though, they're pretty lame.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:34 PM

109 posts, read 179,678 times
^ Not truly a Super Target I believe, but the new Rivertown location does offer a decent food selection, and the Alpine and 54th st locations offer grocery as well. The only super Walmart I know of is on Alpine ave. As the above poster mentioned, nothing special about either one but they do offer employment. I tend to think Meijer offers the over all best prices for full retail.

Most independent variety stores are on the city's SE end. I am not sure how the prices are at the new downtown market. If price is the biggest concern for some, however, minus fruits and veggies there is a store on Chicago Dr. just west of Port Sheldon and one in Sand Lake that offers good pricing but watch the expiration dates. Bread items are not the best to buy at these locations.

I do hope the plans are still in the works for Trader Joe's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area