Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 8,255 times

Advertisements

My family with 2 kids (7 and 1 year old) going to move from Texas to Grand Rapids area. The time is quite flexible from November this year to march next year. But it will be very cold there during that time. Will that be a problem to move in the winter there. Is winter a ok season for house shopping and school transferring in GR? Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:19 PM

47 posts, read 98,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croc View Post
My family with 2 kids (7 and 1 year old) going to move from Texas to Grand Rapids area. The time is quite flexible from November this year to march next year. But it will be very cold there during that time. Will that be a problem to move in the winter there. Is winter a ok season for house shopping and school transferring in GR? Thanks a lot.
It'll be cold indeed, but should be fine to move as long as there's not a winter storm or something. As for house shopping, the selection's probably less than in the spring but probably a better chance of finding a bargain. Not to mention you'll be able to see how the house appears/functions in less than ideal weather conditions.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:32 PM

Thanks a lot!

Is snow storm a common thing there in the winter?
I am thinking to rent first then buy a house. Is that a smart thing to do?

Old 08-15-2012, 05:51 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot!

You could probably rent, although it's getting harder and harder to find homes to rent in good school districts.

We get a couple of "snow storms" a year with blizzard like conditions. Otherwise it's just snow snow snowing most of the time. The area is accustomed to it though so snowplows are out all the time. Most of the real snow accumulation doesn't start until around Christmas and goes through late March.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot!

I don't think it's a bad idea to start out renting, as it would allow you to do more house shopping and try out a school. It may be hard to find a home to rent in the location/school district that you want, but I'd think finding an apartment or perhaps a townhome would be no problem. If you're planning on being here for the long haul, then I personally would take some time to find the right location and home even if it means renting for some months. Interest rates on mortgages should stay low for a while.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM

235 posts, read 536,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francishsu View Post
I'd think finding an apartment or perhaps a townhome would be no problem.
Maybe my expectations are too high, but I'm just not having that great a time finding rentals. I'd prefer a house to an apartment (which abound for days), and there aren't too many that I'm finding in my ideal neighborhoods (at a price I'm willing to pay). There are a ton of scams on the GR craigslist, and the other rental sites just don't have that much inventory. :\ Just my experience thus far--which probably isn't much.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 PM

still self debating about when to move......

I will work in the downtown area, and probabaly choose a house in ADA or EGR, because of their better schools. Is winter driving in these area a problem? I have 2 cars in Houston, normal two front wheel drive car. Will they be fine in GR winter driving? Another concern is the "winter blue", I was told West michigan has too much snow without sunlight that make people depressed. Is that a problem? does it affect kids' emotion? and how do you fix it?

Fransishsu had a great point that I may get a good bargain if buying home during winter time. In GR, is March considered as winter or is it spring already and how is the house market at that time? I have two options: one is around new year, another is March 1. who can help me to make a decision?~~~

Old 08-17-2012, 07:59 AM

I wouldn't count on many sunny days during the winter and it can get depressing to me at least. Some years are better than others. My kids don't seem to be affected much and they do like the snow.

Your cars should do fine in the winter as roads are usually plowed in a timely manner, at least in the city and suburbs. If you live in more rural area on less traveled roads, it might be different.

I do consider March to be part of winter here. Nevertheless it's close enough to spring that I think you would start seeing the quantity of new listings pick up in March. A local real estate agent should be able to give you better advice in this area.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Also, the east side of town gets significantly less snow than the western suburbs since you're further from Lake Michigan.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:30 AM

57 posts, read 105,340 times
Front wheel drive cars will handle just fine, I've never driven anything else. It may take some time for you to get used to it. In EGR, the roads will be plowed and salted before you even wake up in the morning. Most of Ada will be too, but I don't know about some of its more remote parts. Also, some of the newer housing developments out there have private roads, so I can't say whether they have plow service as reliable as the county roads do.

I grew up in MI so I'm used to Winter. I like the brisk weather in the Fall months, and always cheer on the snow in December and January. Usually by February or March I start getting sick of it and am ready for Spring. I don't know about about "Winter Blue," but a harsh Winter makes Spring weather all the more uplifting. So remember, you can't just think of Winter or the other seasons in a vacuum, they each have an effect on each other. I've spent years in warm climates too, which I thought were boring. At the end of the day, I prefer Michigan weather.

The neighborhoods are quite different, and you'll want to see which fits you better:

EGR = Classic Victorian houses, densely-populated neighborhood, walkable and quaint downtown, close to the city.

Ada = Newer housing developments interspersed between forests and ponds, low density, much more rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area