U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:20 PM

10 posts, read 20,879 times

Advertisements

Depending on your expectation of "safe", I'd stay clear of the rectangle between Wealthy(N) and Burton(S) and between Fuller(E) and roughly Clyde Park if not a tad further(W). However, with the fairly recent gentrification of some areas there can be crime in all areas and all four quadrants. There are parts of Kentwood I'd not care to be too late, such as some of the sub-divisions around 44th Street. Downtown is attracting a lot of attention but there is a drastic divide between a lot of low income housing and a lot of high end market rate apartments, if your income falls in the middle you won't find much. Plus there are a lot of shelters in the area around Division/Wealthy-Oakes and that can wear you down after a while. East Hills and Eastown are the go-to areas for hip and trendy.

Additional info regarding trash, if you're in City of Grand Rapids, the city picks up trash for $4, $6 or I think $8 per tip depending whether you have a 32, 64 or 96 gallon bin which they supply. You top up the account online and can see what your balance is. They also have a recycling program which reduced your trash cost immensely, glass, paper and most plastics can be recycled in a single bin - again provided by CoGR - and you even earn points which can be redeemed for coupons valid at local businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 06:11 AM

30 posts, read 41,931 times
Thanks!
Yeah, it's hard to judge what people mean by "safe" sometimes. We currently live in a downtown neighborhood that a lot of people I know consider unsafe because of it's "diversity", but we love it and have never had any issues of any kind in the 15 years I've been here. I don't leave piles of money overnight in an unlocked car but I wouldn't do that in any neighborhood and expect it to be there in the morning.
Safe = low crime. That is all.

As an aside - when we started researching GR I kept seeing the word diversity in many posts from different message boards all across the wide, wide world of web. GR is proud of it's diversity. This place is great because it has so much diversity.
And even rarely: Watch out, you might run into some diversity.
I certainly don't mean to offend, but I just find that word amusing. I live in a city where we pasty pale white people are just barely the majority - it's pretty much the norm in any southern city - and it's going to be really, really different to move to a city with a clear white majority that prides itself on it's diversity. Obviously that's a good thing, but it's just going to be amusing to this southern gal. Bless your heart.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:34 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,741,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaTome View Post
Thanks!
Yeah, it's hard to judge what people mean by "safe" sometimes. We currently live in a downtown neighborhood that a lot of people I know consider unsafe because of it's "diversity", but we love it and have never had any issues of any kind in the 15 years I've been here. I don't leave piles of money overnight in an unlocked car but I wouldn't do that in any neighborhood and expect it to be there in the morning.
Safe = low crime. That is all.

As an aside - when we started researching GR I kept seeing the word diversity in many posts from different message boards all across the wide, wide world of web. GR is proud of it's diversity. This place is great because it has so much diversity.
And even rarely: Watch out, you might run into some diversity.
I certainly don't mean to offend, but I just find that word amusing. I live in a city where we pasty pale white people are just barely the majority - it's pretty much the norm in any southern city - and it's going to be really, really different to move to a city with a clear white majority that prides itself on it's diversity. Obviously that's a good thing, but it's just going to be amusing to this southern gal. Bless your heart.
Yes, the city of GR and even Kentwood are pretty diverse population-wise (64% white, 20% black, 16% hispanic), yet they are still pretty segregated (the city of GR especially).

Kent County on the other hand, will be shockingly white to you coming from the South (80/10/10 mix).

You can live in a lot of the suburbs of GR and go an entire day without seeing someone of color, except an occasional Middle Eastern family.

It's only because GR was settled by the Dutch and French hundreds of years ago, and never saw the huge influx of African Americans during the industrial revolution like other Great Lakes cities did. And Grand Rapids industrial past in the early 1900's was mostly furniture building and woodworking, not assembly lines like Detroit where fairly unskilled African Americans moving up from the South could easily get a job.

We're also pretty far from the Mexican border, so traditionally most Hispanics/Central Americans only made their way all the way up here to work in the huge agricultural fields between Grand Rapids and Holland (why Holland has a large Hispanic community). Obviously many more Hispanics have moved here for jobs in the last 20 - 30 years for non agricultural work, but that's the history of why we're so white.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
but that's the history of why we're so white.
Yeah, that and a severe lack of melanin.
Where I live it's pretty close to 51/49, so even 60% white is going to seem really pale in comparison.

We're still looking around online. Spouse will be in GR the 1st week of Dec. and will cruise some more neighborhoods while he's there to get a better feel. I have a long list of houses for him to drive by and they're all over the place. He's going to be pretty tired.
We have a nibble on our house - haven't even signed with the realtor yet.
Co-worker of a friend coming to see it this weekend. If this works out, magellan, I'll be in touch.

I'm hopeful this is all going to be a piece of cake. Hah!

Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 AM

I just re-read my 2nd to last post up there and realized my wording could be misunderstood. And since I couldn't figure out how to edit the post, thought I'd better clarify in a new one.

Quote:
I live in a city where we pasty pale white people are just barely the majority - it's pretty much the norm in any southern city - and it's going to be really, really different to move to a city with a clear white majority that prides itself on it's diversity. Obviously that's a good thing, but it's just going to be amusing to this southern gal.
So just for clarity, when I said "Obviously that's a good thing" I meant that I think it's a good thing Grand Rapids is proud of it's diversity.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:55 AM

137 posts, read 132,326 times
You are so wrong about the SE side, that area is GHETTO! I wont even drive thru there because of the shootings, car jackings, and robberies! Stay far far away!

The SW side is decent, it depends really what part you live in. I live in SW Wyoming, West of Byron Center Avenue and it is really nice! I live across the street from a really nice park and close to the Kent Trails. Honestly, I would stay away from anywhere in Grand Rapids. You should check out Grandville, Wyoming (parts of it), and Jenison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area