Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,026 times

Advertisements

Where would you advise starting a house search? I'll be working at Meijer in Walker. Married - no kids. Good salary. Need SPACE and something nice. Hate cookie cutter neighborhoods with every house the same. $400k realistic? Could go higher, would love to go lower though.

Considering an older home or building custom.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 PM

17 posts, read 34,003 times
I hope I'm allowed to do this, if not maybe someone can delete it. I'd advise you to contact my wife, Julie Grevengoed Realtor/Owner at JGR Real Estate. (Julie Grevengoed, REALTOR JGR Real Estate, Grand Rapids and julie@juliegr.com) She's helped quite a few relocations lately that sound similar to yours. She was just telling me about a couple from Boston she helped sign a contract on a house today. Best wishes. (she does a great job, but I may be biased...) =)

Old 10-16-2012, 08:42 PM

13,260 posts, read 22,667,152 times
On the job end, Meijer's headquarters is insanely convenient to get to (smack off the Walker Rd. exit of I-96) and you can have a reasonable commute for anything from Grand Haven to the west by Lake Michigan to the far eastern fringes of Forest Hills. $400K will go far in the area. When you're talking space, are you talking home size, lot size or both? Do you prefer more urban, suburban, or small town? Are you interested in waterfront on an inland lake? Are nightlife and good restaurants nearby important to you?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:23 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,048,643 times
400k will go a long way in the greater GR area. Depending on how much space you really want and how far you want your money to go...I would look north along 131. You could also look on the NE side off the East Beltline. There are a lot of homes out there that are isolated and have some breathing room but still have easy access to the rest of Grand Rapids.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,026 times
Default Thanks

By space - I meant square footage more than acreage. We currently live in more of an urban/historical setting with 3K sq foot houses and really small yards. We like houses with character (older), but given the winters I'd not want it too costly to heat.

I guess traffic isn't a concern since near Philly 15 miles eaquals 45 minutes at least. I wouldn't mind living close to downtown as long as it doesn't come with too many of the typical city downsides - noise, crime, higher taxes, etc..

I never really considered living on a lake, but would like the view more than use it.

Thanks for all of the advise.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz01 View Post
By space - I meant square footage more than acreage. We currently live in more of an urban/historical setting with 3K sq foot houses and really small yards. We like houses with character (older), but given the winters I'd not want it too costly to heat.

I guess traffic isn't a concern since near Philly 15 miles eaquals 45 minutes at least. I wouldn't mind living close to downtown as long as it doesn't come with too many of the typical city downsides - noise, crime, higher taxes, etc..

I never really considered living on a lake, but would like the view more than use it.

Thanks for all of the advise.
Your neighborhood is probably similar to Heritage Hill or Cherry Hill. Downtown proper doesn't really have much housing. It is safe though and pretty quiet aside from the occasional sirens from the police station.

Schools are often a big decision. If you have kids you will probably either want to send them to private schools, or live outside of GR proper. Grand Rapids Public Schools are pretty bleh.

You should be able to get a 3k sq foot house for 300-400k just depending on the area.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 PM

13,260 posts, read 22,667,152 times
East Grand Rapids- small city with its own school district- lots of older fairly large historic homes, walkable downtown area adjacent to a nice lake.

Forest Hills/Ada/Cascade- just east of EGR- more suburban feel, bigger lots, not as walkable in general

Rockford- north of GR- another pretty suburban area. Rouge River flows through a cute and walkable downtown area, a number of nice lakefront developments are just east of the town proper

Grand Haven- nice small town along Lake Michigan (though 400K doesn't get you lakefront on the Big Lake) nice and large public beach areas, and a number of marinas if you're into boating. Downside- you can get Buffalo-like lake effect snow, so you've got to be a confident winter driver on your commute.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:43 PM

235 posts, read 533,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Schools are often a big decision. If you have kids you will probably either want to send them to private schools, or live outside of GR proper. Grand Rapids Public Schools are pretty bleh.
He clearly said he had no kids. Not all of GRPS is bad.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdeconcentrate View Post
He clearly said he had no kids. Not all of GRPS is bad.
I never said they were all bad. Thanks though.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 PM

235 posts, read 533,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I never said they were all bad. Thanks though.
No, but you always tell people the same thing --stay away from all of GRPS. Though I recall you having no kids and not living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area