U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 AM

28 posts, read 124,584 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are considering moving to Byron Center. She's Caucasian and I'm African American.

We have both lived abroad and enjoy culturally diverse places. I mean that in regards to the people, ethnic food availability, and the expression of international culture.

Since returning to the Grand Rapids, MI area we have accepted the fact that our ideal place location-wise may not exist at the price point we are hoping for.

Originally, we had our hearts set on living in a high-rise condo downtown. However, we noticed how much larger of a home we could have if we changed our wish list a bit.

We are considering Byron Center because there are a lot of nicely sized new homes in the area and it's not too far away from Grandville and everything it has to offer.

We are interested know how others living in Byron Center feel.

Do you like living there? In another thread, I read about it being very conservative and having a lot of "closet racism".

Is it noticeable; does it cause problems? Or is that a thing of the past?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give us!

Last edited by Maipenrai; 12-07-2012 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,736,935 times
Byron Center is pretty conservative and blue-collar. You won't get attacked or anything, but it isn't exactly open-minded or culturally diverse. About 1% of the population is African American and 98% is white. I think it was actually me that posted about it being "closet racist" in the other thread a while back.

Maybe things have changed in the last 2-3 years but I'm skeptical. If you want more space than downtown has to offer you don't have to go to Byron Center. Try Kentwood maybe.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 PM

8,236 posts, read 16,839,941 times
I'd agree with going to Kentwood or even Grandville before looking in Byron Center. It's not as bad as it used to be (I remember the whole sad Gerry Crane affair) but it's still a place you go if you like it homogenous.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:11 AM

8,872 posts, read 17,750,098 times
I'd put Byron Center in the top 5 most closed-minded communities in West Michigan. They may even find a passage in the bible that says that interracial relationships are sinful.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:42 PM

142 posts, read 671,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I'd put Byron Center in the top 5 most closed-minded communities in West Michigan. They may even find a passage in the bible that says that interracial relationships are sinful.
If you would please name the 5 communities (Byron Center included) - It would limit the areas around the Rapids that I'm looking into.

Thanks many...

Old 12-08-2012, 08:11 PM

8,236 posts, read 16,839,941 times
I's say the Hudsonville-Jenison-Zeeland part of the I-196 corridor still clings to the old 'if you ain't Dutch, you ain't much' mentality to a fair degree.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I's say the Hudsonville-Jenison-Zeeland part of the I-196 corridor still clings to the old 'if you ain't Dutch, you ain't much' mentality to a fair degree.
That's what I was going to say. Rockford can be that way at times too.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 PM

28 posts, read 124,584 times
Thanks for all the advice. When I was growing up, Kentwood was considered an upscale neighborhood. Now, imo, parts of it have gone downhill. It's sad that "culturally open-minded and diverse areas seem to have high crime rates.

After listening everyone's advice on Byron Center, we decided to cross it off our list. I'm sure it's not a daily occurrence out in the open but, it's something we definitely do not care to deal with.

Grandville sounds like a much better choice.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maipenrai View Post
Thanks for all the advice. When I was growing up, Kentwood was considered an upscale neighborhood. Now, imo, parts of it have gone downhill. It's sad that "culturally open-minded and diverse areas seem to have high crime rates.

After listening everyone's advice on Byron Center, we decided to cross it off our list. I'm sure it's not a daily occurrence out in the open but, it's something we definitely do not care to deal with.

Grandville sounds like a much better choice.
There are parts of Kentwood that are nice. It stretches pretty far South past M-6 and over almost to the airport.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 PM

56 posts, read 85,713 times
For everyone's clarification, Kentwood's school district boundaries extend south of M-6. However, Kentwood's city limit ends at 60th street.

As a native Kentwoodite, I'd still recommend looking there. Kelloggsville and the western neighborhoods are have pretty modest housing stock, but you'll still find newer, larger houses east of Kalamazoo Ave. Bailey's Grove, specifically... If you don't mind the cookie cutter houses.

Growing up, the neighborhoods south of 60th - especially Cutlerville - were known to be pretty homogenous and conservative. Nowadays, they've built a ton of houses in Crystal Springs and Dutton. I've noticed the district has gradually concentrated its elementary schools to the south, as younger families seem to be moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area