Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 06:44 PM

9 posts, read 42,774 times

Advertisements

Though originally from Coldwater, I've been away for a long time. I now have an opportunity to relocate to Grand Rapids but know very little about the area outside of what you can find in C of C materials. Can anyone tell me what are good and not so good parts of town? What would be the best area to look for a house? I'm a middle-aged professional, single, not in any way interested in children, love the arts, love the outdoors and enjoy nice restaurants. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 10:06 AM

810 posts, read 3,302,988 times
GR is a family friendly town. Loft living in the downtown area might be your best bet. That way you can do the shows and enjoy the restaurants downtown. Just my opinion.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Downtown Grand Rapids

Thanks for the response. I don't think a loft would quite meet my requirements, though. From what I've been able to find online, there seem to be some interesting neighborhoods near downtown and wondered if they were good, bad, whatever. It appeared in general that anything SE or NE is fairly decent but I can't get any feel for NW and SW. Any comments?

Old 10-05-2006, 10:18 AM

I suggested loft living because it sounds like you don't want to be near children.

I grew up in the SE side of GR (49506 zip code) near Shawnee Park school. It's still pretty safe neighborhood with shopping nearby and maybe a 20 minute drive to downtown GR.

Another neighborhood I like is Heritage Hills. It's near downtown and this neighborhood has many historic homes. It's probably in the 49503 zip code if I remember correctly.

Currently we live in Ada (49301), about 12 miles east of the neighborhood I grew up in. It's more rural with bike paths all over the township and large lots compared to GR. We like where we're at, off the beaten path and away from the busy town scenes. We moved here mainly for the excellent schools for our children.

If you have any more questions, shoot away!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:51 PM

I appreciate your thoughtfulness. It's not so much no kids whatsoever as I don't think I would be a good neighbor in an area that is very much set up for young families. The historic neighborhood sounds good. Hope I can afford it!

Old 10-06-2006, 06:53 AM

3 posts, read 10,165 times
My niece and nephew live in Heritage hills neighborhood and like the old homes. They have fixed one up and have two small children and are close to everything. They don't have a lot of money but seem to be living well and have no intentions of moving.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:47 PM

18 posts, read 94,377 times
Grand Rapids is a wonderful place to live. Right now, I'm living in the 49504 area code, basically right across the street from the John Ball Zoo. I love it, its pretty quiet, but you can find a nice little house if you aren't looking for anything too extravagent. Its about...3 minutes from downtown. Are you looking for a house or an apartment? Don't go North of Lake Michigan Drive towards 131, its not a pleasant area. If I can help any more, let me know

Old 10-07-2006, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll be looking for a house and am very fond of older houses. I just found out I got the job I wanted and they want me to get up there and start work as soon as possible so I'm not sure if there will be much time to househunt. From what I've seen online, there are some very nice homes that seem to be reasonable and Heritage Hills sounds great. I'm looking forward to this.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwater Native View Post
Thanks for the information. I'll be looking for a house and am very fond of older houses. I just found out I got the job I wanted and they want me to get up there and start work as soon as possible so I'm not sure if there will be much time to househunt. From what I've seen online, there are some very nice homes that seem to be reasonable and Heritage Hills sounds great. I'm looking forward to this.
Please chekc your PM

Old 10-08-2006, 02:24 PM

I did and checked it a little bit. It helps a lot and I really appreciate the information. thanks much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area