U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:30 PM

42 posts, read 116,252 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'll be moving to EGR in the coming months and I'm trying to find out what's a liveable salary in Grand Rapids, specifically EGR.

I'm coming from Virginia, where there are no "surprises" when it comes to living costs.

I'm expecting to pay more in property taxes, income taxes, and natural gas, but are there any other surprisingly high costs associated with living in Grand Rapids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 02:44 PM

3,095 posts, read 5,623,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor117 View Post
Hey everyone, I'll be moving to EGR in the coming months and I'm trying to find out what's a liveable salary in Grand Rapids, specifically EGR.

I'm coming from Virginia, where there are no "surprises" when it comes to living costs.

I'm expecting to pay more in property taxes, income taxes, and natural gas, but are there any other surprisingly high costs associated with living in Grand Rapids?
The big one that comes to mind for me is car insurance. Michigan has the highest rates in the nation due to our no-fault insurance law. I spend $300.00 per month for insurance for three vehicles. There is talk of reforming the law, and I hope it happens SOON.

According to this list, your car insurance will cost about twice what it does in Virginia:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_1...ur-state-rank/

Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM

95 posts, read 216,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor117 View Post

I am curious why you expect to pay more on income taxes. Michigan's tax rate is 4.35% of the federal adjusted gross income, which is the 40th highest, and $555 per person, which is the 34th highest. Virginia's tax rate is 5.75% for incomes over $17K, which is 28th highest, and $1,086 per person, which is the 9th highest.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:52 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,945,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The big one that comes to mind for me is car insurance. Michigan has the highest rates in the nation due to our no-fault insurance law. I spend $300.00 per month for insurance for three vehicles. There is talk of reforming the law, and I hope it happens SOON.

According to this list, your car insurance will cost about twice what it does in Virginia:

Auto Insurance Costs: Where Does Your State Rank? - CBS News
The auto insurance rates are HIGHLY individual though so a list like that is next to meaningless. I spent years in Maine (#49 on that list) and when I moved back to MI my insurance rates dropped by quite a bit. Same vehicles, same drivers, same coverage rates. I was expecting to take quite an increase, but was pleasantly surprised with the drop in cost. I think a lot depends on WHERE you are in the State as well. Best bet is to contact their insurer and get an accurate quote, maybe even time to swap companies for better rates and coverage.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 PM

8,870 posts, read 17,739,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
The auto insurance rates are HIGHLY individual though so a list like that is next to meaningless. I spent years in Maine (#49 on that list) and when I moved back to MI my insurance rates dropped by quite a bit. Same vehicles, same drivers, same coverage rates. I was expecting to take quite an increase, but was pleasantly surprised with the drop in cost. I think a lot depends on WHERE you are in the State as well. Best bet is to contact their insurer and get an accurate quote, maybe even time to swap companies for better rates and coverage.
Exactly. I looked at that study and there's no way the average is over $2000. It says: "40-year-old male who commutes 12 miles to work each day, with policy limits of 100/300/50 ($100,000 for injury liability for one person, $300,000 for all injuries and $50,000 for property damage in an accident) and a $500 deductible on collision and comprehensive coverage. The hypothetical driver has a clean record and good credit. The rate includes uninsured motorist coverage."

I fit that description (a bit older) and I pay $720/year. Both of our vehicles in the household are $1371 per year, full coverage. Both vehicles less than 5 years old.

Car insurance rates | Insure.com

I can't think of any "hidden" costs we have around GR. Michigan vehicle registration comes up once a year, about $220/year for two cars for us. Sales tax is a flat 6% for everything, except groceries and prescription medicine which isn't taxed (I believe those are the only two).

Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 AM
Mvl

102 posts, read 126,039 times
I just relocated to GR from upstate NY 3 weeks ago. Here are a few observations. Property/ school taxes here are 1/4 of what I pd for a house worth $100,000 less in NY. Housing prices are very comparable to where I came from, but I'm saving almost $600 a month on taxes! HUGE difference. Gas prices are much much lower here. When I left NY it was $3.95, same day here was $3.45. I saw gas here for $3.03 yesterday. Huge savings on a weekly basis. Food prices tend to be lower here overall. I miss my grocery store, Wegmans, something fierce but reluctantly learning to accept the Walmart feeling of meijer. The only shock was the car insurance difference. Due to MI no fault auto insurance, my premium more than doubled. From $59 to $131 a month. But, I'm still way ahead due to the taxes. And the ppl I have met here so far have been just lovely. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 PM

42 posts, read 116,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomRShine View Post
I am curious why you expect to pay more on income taxes. Michigan's tax rate is 4.35% of the federal adjusted gross income, which is the 40th highest, and $555 per person, which is the 34th highest. Virginia's tax rate is 5.75% for incomes over $17K, which is 28th highest, and $1,086 per person, which is the 9th highest.
I was referring to the property taxes and the local income tax. We do have some high state taxes here in Virginia but the property taxes are low in most places. I currently pay $1200 on a house worth about $220k. For a similar house in GR, it looks like that number will at least be tripled.

Understandable though, we don't have sidewalks, snow, streetlights, or great schools in my locality.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 AM
Mvl

FYI....my home here, my husband paid $280,000 a few yrs ago, assessed at a little less now, but his taxes are rt around $3000.
We are in a private subdivision so we have to pay for street plowing and garbage pickup etc. I'm not sure what the school district is like as neither of us have young children.
In NY, upstate NY, my home sold for $180,000 and my taxes were over $9,000. Still had to pay for own garbage, but had good schools.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM

8,870 posts, read 17,739,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvl View Post
I just relocated to GR from upstate NY 3 weeks ago. Here are a few observations. Property/ school taxes here are 1/4 of what I pd for a house worth $100,000 less in NY. Housing prices are very comparable to where I came from, but I'm saving almost $600 a month on taxes! HUGE difference. Gas prices are much much lower here. When I left NY it was $3.95, same day here was $3.45. I saw gas here for $3.03 yesterday. Huge savings on a weekly basis. Food prices tend to be lower here overall. I miss my grocery store, Wegmans, something fierce but reluctantly learning to accept the Walmart feeling of meijer. The only shock was the car insurance difference. Due to MI no fault auto insurance, my premium more than doubled. From $59 to $131 a month. But, I'm still way ahead due to the taxes. And the ppl I have met here so far have been just lovely. Good luck!
I thought New York was a no fault insurance state too? I believe there are 12 or 13 states that are no-fault. All it really means is if you get in an accident, your insurance company pays for your claim (whether you were at fault or not), not the other person's insurance company. Seems like it would all even out to me, without the added costs of insurance companies suing each other all the time.

There is a medical liability portion of Michigan no-fault, but I think it's usually about $130/year.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Mvl

Michigan apparently has the only" true no fault insurance" in the country. Or so my State Farm agent told me. This was why my insurance more than doubled. One aspect of the insurance, (can't remember which tho) I was paying $29 a yr for w State Farm in NY, here in Michigan it is $290.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area