U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Memphis, TN
61 posts, read 56,533 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

We have read about every West Michigan post for the last 2 years and have learned a lot. Our move from New England to West Michigan is imminent.

Background; I am an executive and we enjoy eating and walking our New England downtown area. We are empty nesters and live on 2 acres with a 4000 sq ft home. We're in an upscale area and our home is built for entertaining both indoors and outdoors. We have a summer home here also on a lake. Both will sell quickly once listed and will fetch a pretty penny. I spend 15-18 hours a week commuting in the worst traffic on the planet. Boston. We enjoy Boston for restaurants, entertainment, shopping and sports. Our interests are boating, water, fishing, hunting, golf, shopping, walking. Did I say my wife enjoys shopping. My new office will be at 131 and Leonard in GR.

Needs; Reduce my commute. We have to have some property around us and cannot live on a postage stamp lot. A planned community would be great, ameneties would be a bonus. An existing NEW home would be ok too. Based on initial internet research, we didn't find anything on the big water or small lakes that would fit the bill unless we're told other wise, so a new lake home might have to wait. We want to build a high end home within 30-40 mile commute above 3000 sq ft. Need leads on developers and builders too, and a great little downtown area with restaurants and simple shopping.

All thoughts are welcome......

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM
 
447 posts, read 1,122,620 times
Reputation: 226
131 and Leonard...Mercantile Bank? ;-)

I think you will find that a home like that on a lot like that will not put you very close to a wonderful downtown area. You will be relegated to a large development or exclusive lakeshore (Lake michigan) property.

I guess I'd suggest Rockford, Holland or Grand Haven as great small towns that would be within a 30 minute commute each way. Each have great downtowns, dining, pubs, breweries, etc. But your desire for a large home on acreage really limits how close you will be to the downtown areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Memphis, TN
61 posts, read 56,533 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbusiness View Post
131 and Leonard...Mercantile Bank? ;-)

I think you will find that a home like that on a lot like that will not put you very close to a wonderful downtown area. You will be relegated to a large development or exclusive lakeshore (Lake michigan) property.

I guess I'd suggest Rockford, Holland or Grand Haven as great small towns that would be within a 30 minute commute each way. Each have great downtowns, dining, pubs, breweries, etc. But your desire for a large home on acreage really limits how close you will be to the downtown areas.

Grand Haven and Holland are already on the radar, because of proximity to water and great downtown areas. The property size might have to come down in order to still have a great house in a great location.

Any suggestions on large developments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 PM
 
1,648 posts, read 2,743,997 times
Reputation: 1438
Just out of curiosity, why do 2 empty nesters need 4,000 sq feet? Of course, you're entitled to buy whatever you want as you can afford it - but, personally, I'd rather sacrifice the size of the dwelling for location, location, location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,744,725 times
Reputation: 3833
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue8 View Post
We have read about every West Michigan post for the last 2 years and have learned a lot. Our move from New England to West Michigan is imminent.

Background; I am an executive and we enjoy eating and walking our New England downtown area. We are empty nesters and live on 2 acres with a 4000 sq ft home. We're in an upscale area and our home is built for entertaining both indoors and outdoors. We have a summer home here also on a lake. Both will sell quickly once listed and will fetch a pretty penny. I spend 15-18 hours a week commuting in the worst traffic on the planet. Boston. We enjoy Boston for restaurants, entertainment, shopping and sports. Our interests are boating, water, fishing, hunting, golf, shopping, walking. Did I say my wife enjoys shopping. My new office will be at 131 and Leonard in GR.

Needs; Reduce my commute. We have to have some property around us and cannot live on a postage stamp lot. A planned community would be great, ameneties would be a bonus. An existing NEW home would be ok too. Based on initial internet research, we didn't find anything on the big water or small lakes that would fit the bill unless we're told other wise, so a new lake home might have to wait. We want to build a high end home within 30-40 mile commute above 3000 sq ft. Need leads on developers and builders too, and a great little downtown area with restaurants and simple shopping.

All thoughts are welcome......

Thanks in advance.
There are some pretty large homes on acreage within the city of East Grand Rapids, within walking distance of its downtown (Gaslight Village).

"New developments" and vacant land near a downtown area are pretty hard to come by. Unless you take an existing home and tear it down. You might find something in Saugatuck. To me, it's about as close to a New England feel that you can get in West Michigan. However, it's right at the outer edge of your 40 mile commute.

I can do some checking around for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Memphis, TN
61 posts, read 56,533 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Just out of curiosity, why do 2 empty nesters need 4,000 sq feet? Of course, you're entitled to buy whatever you want as you can afford it - but, personally, I'd rather sacrifice the size of the dwelling for location, location, location.
Funny,... you must have been at our kitchen table this morning. Same question I asked my bride of 30 years. We love to entertain, and our large family and extended family like to be, entertained. She is the oldest of 9. Lots of family within 6 hour drive of GR. Couple of other thoughts. We like our space. Plans we are looking at have 3 large bedrooms to accommodate guests. Mostly a first floor plan with a large kitchen hearthroom space, grand room, dining room, master suite w/sitting area and a office/den. Full height walkout basement with bedrooms, entertainment area, bar etc. We have architectual plans for a craftsman from Garrell Associates already. So, the footprint is not that big. Reality, is 2500 of space on the first floor and the rest on the walk out that can be finished now or later. Hope that helps....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Memphis, TN
61 posts, read 56,533 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
There are some pretty large homes on acreage within the city of East Grand Rapids, within walking distance of its downtown (Gaslight Village).

"New developments" and vacant land near a downtown area are pretty hard to come by. Unless you take an existing home and tear it down. You might find something in Saugatuck. To me, it's about as close to a New England feel that you can get in West Michigan. However, it's right at the outer edge of your 40 mile commute.

I can do some checking around for you.
Interesting EGR keeps coming up. We put that on our list. I think architecually our plan would fit in nicely. But initial search does not show a lot of "land" or available building lots there. Looks like a fun area that we might enjoy with all the activity.
Saw some large old homes in the Heritage Hill area that have been re-outfitted and actully some large lots. My bride likes the style, just not the age or internal amenities. Takes away from new and off topic.
What is a "renaissance zone" ? This had my interest since NH has no state income tax and no sales tax, which has been a real benefit living here.

Saugatuck is on my wife's radar and we added it to the list. 40 minutes each way is better than 70-90 minutes each way. We may be too far from quality shopping and amenities out there though......

Thanks in advance for your help.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,744,725 times
Reputation: 3833
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue8 View Post
Interesting EGR keeps coming up. We put that on our list. I think architecually our plan would fit in nicely. But initial search does not show a lot of "land" or available building lots there. Looks like a fun area that we might enjoy with all the activity.
Saw some large old homes in the Heritage Hill area that have been re-outfitted and actully some large lots. My bride likes the style, just not the age or internal amenities. Takes away from new and off topic.
What is a "renaissance zone" ? This had my interest since NH has no state income tax and no sales tax, which has been a real benefit living here.

Saugatuck is on my wife's radar and we added it to the list. 40 minutes each way is better than 70-90 minutes each way. We may be too far from quality shopping and amenities out there though......

Thanks in advance for your help.....
Yes, Saugatuck would put you pretty far from any shopping, except you're closer to Chicago. It's also pretty quiet in the off-season, but just a thought.

Renaissance Zones were set up in the late 90's to help infill areas in Michigan that hadn't seen investment in a while. It exempted the business owners or residents of a number of city and state taxes (income and property taxes mainly). Most of the zones expired in 2011.

There are still a few condo projects downtown on Monroe Center that are in a Ren Zone until 2017. The projects are all completed, so you'd have to keep an eye out for one to come up for sale.

There's one development in East Grand Rapids that I don't think shows up on the MLS/real estate sites anymore (?) It was a huge old French inspired estate that they parceled up into homesites. Beautiful setting, and right off Lake Drive and easily walking distance to Gaslight Village and Reeds Lake. They're more like 1/2 acre sites, if I remember correctly.

Oh hey, it looks like they split up the old Brookby estate property (that was donated to Aquinas College last year) and you can now build right on Fisk Lake. Wow.

http://www.grar.com/property/mls/12013262

http://binged.it/13q7SLS

It includes the gate house too on Robinson Road, which is kind of cool if you wanted a guest house (or split if off and sell it maybe). That area along Robinson Road and Plymouth Avenue is probably the the most beautiful areas in the county.

Last edited by magellan; 01-12-2013 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
2,201 posts, read 3,738,693 times
Reputation: 2275
Not sure if this would be your cup of tea but on the north side of Holland and Zeeland farmers are selling their fields, some are selling them in lots. You wouldn't be to far from a main road that leads to the highways, and pretty close to the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 04:32 PM
 
157 posts, read 261,220 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
There's one development in East Grand Rapids that I don't think shows up on the MLS/real estate sites anymore (?) It was a huge old French inspired estate that they parceled up into homesites. Beautiful setting, and right off Lake Drive and easily walking distance to Gaslight Village and Reeds Lake. They're more like 1/2 acre sites, if I remember correctly.

Oh hey, it looks like they split up the old Brookby estate property (that was donated to Aquinas College last year) and you can now build right on Fisk Lake. Wow.

1950 Robinson Rd Southeast, East Grand Rapids, MI 49506 | Grand Rapids Association of REALTORS ®

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

It includes the gate house too on Robinson Road, which is kind of cool if you wanted a guest house (or split if off and sell it maybe). That area along Robinson Road and Plymouth Avenue is probably the the most beautiful areas in the county.
If you have the disposable income, Magellan nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top