Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 02:07 AM

19 posts, read 41,694 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am moving to Grand Rapids very soon for a job transfer.
NEVER been there but all I have researched looks great.
More snow that where I grew up in Southern Illinois but that's what Timberlands are for, right?
I am thinking about breaking a common rule and buying right after moving there (rather than renting first)
This is in part because I have pets, I hate to rent and dearly want to buy a home again. (After renting in Hawaii for the last four years)
Anyone with any insight regarding buying right away? Versus renting initially? Seems there are a lot of nice homes that would have lower house payments than similar rentals. I love owning over renting.
I have a realtor and she seems experienced.
I am not worried about school districts, but want a nice area with things close enough to walk to, but still peaceful. I do like older homes with character. House is a must (no condo).
Have heard a little on Heritage Hills, Eastown. Any particular areas that are nice, but fun and easy to get to downtown via walking or bicycle? Any particular downtown areas that are better to be close to? (I like fun and maybe a little classy bars or restaurants, coffee shops, little shops, etc....)
I am clueless about GR at this point, so any input, on any topic would probably be enlightening.
Really looking forward to getting settled in and making some friends.
Thanks for any input. Can't wait to get there and let it all unfold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,064,086 times
Easttown/East Hills is probably what you are looking for. Of course Heritage Hill is pretty much adjacent to those neighborhoods, so a quick bike ride isn't out of the question. That said, most of the homes in Heritage Hill are massive. Way too big for one person for the most part.

There are a decent amount of bars/restaurants along Wealthy street and Lake Drive. Aside from downtown itself it's probably the second most developed "urban" feeling area in GR. Easttown will also put you in a quick bike ride or even a walk to Gaslight Village in East Grand Rapids.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 PM

109 posts, read 205,644 times
Grand Rapids is fairly safe all over. There are many great locations. East town certainly has a nice vibe to it but most of Wealthy street does now. Any area by the river north of downtown could be great too with three West side districts and one real Northeast district (West Fulton, Stockbridge, and West Leonard on the west side and Creston on the Northeast) as we have some great paved paths by the river with all but a short stretch going from downtown way up north. Over all housing is cheaper in these districts but some blocks are a little rough on the edges. These districts are not quite as lively but offer plenty of options.

The uptown district includes East Hills, East town and East Fulton and all are nice districts. Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids is close by and is a popular walk, jog, bike destination. Housing here might be a tad more but the neighborhoods have a bit more night life. Downtown, however, is really where the night comes alive. Housing can be cheaper just south of downtown but some blocks again can be a tad rough. Roosevelt Park district is quite diversified with a bike path connection (through black hills) not far away. All other city neighborhoods are a bit further away from bike paths.

Over all, Grand Rapids is safe enough and small enough to enjoy without a lot of effort yet large enough to see major concerts and events that many cities our size never have the option to see. And with all that, Chicago is only 3 hours away and Detroit only 2 1/2. The near by lake shore is a must see. Keep us updated on your move and I wish you the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area