Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 11:33 PM

142 posts, read 731,694 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

Due to its abundance of fine breweries and pubs in the Grand Rapids metro area... - Is it time to re-think the minimum drinking age?

Should it be legal once again for 18 year olds to freely drink at all the fine establishments which Grand Rapids possesses?

Do you agree with these thoughts that Camille Paglia trumpets to society?

Her article appeared in Time Magazine.

Thank You Time Magazine!

Agree or disagree?

Cheers!

The Drinking Age Is Past Its Prime

Camille Paglia April 23, 2014

The age-21 rule sets the U.S. apart from all advanced Western nations, and it has pushed kids toward pills and other antisocial behavior.

<snipped> copyright violation

Last edited by magellan; 05-21-2014 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:21 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Agreed.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:47 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,200 times
Default I tend to agree, but...

When Michigan allowed drinking at age 18 some years ago, wasn't there a problem with kids going to class half-drunk? And didn't it trickle down into the arena of middle-school students?

Alcohol tolerance varies by individual, as well as restraint. There are plenty of twenty- and thirty-somethings who have never learned to handle alcohol.

I'm all for getting rid of all nanny laws, including seat-belt and helmet laws.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
When Michigan allowed drinking at age 18 some years ago, wasn't there a problem with kids going to class half-drunk? And didn't it trickle down into the arena of middle-school students?

Alcohol tolerance varies by individual, as well as restraint. There are plenty of twenty- and thirty-somethings who have never learned to handle alcohol.

I'm all for getting rid of all nanny laws, including seat-belt and helmet laws.
All so true - dealing with various tolerance levels and different personalities. The age cutoffs are a better-than-nothing solution for the masses - probably no other way to do it except for sending drivers periodically to a shrink.

But don't forget, people who get seriously hurt in accidents require expensive ER care with the cost absorbed by hospitals or passed off on others. It took a while, but I have gotten quite used to using my seatbelt.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,480 times
I do not see what having lots micro brews has anything to do with issue.

I do think that the 21 year drinking age is a joke. I would prefer 18 years and have a high school diploma/GED. When you are old enough to go to be drafted for war or vote you are old enough to drink.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:28 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
Yes the 21 drinking age is a joke, especially on college campuses.

Like alpineavenue says, if you are old enough to be drafted or vote, then you are old enough to drink.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:52 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,991 times
There are less toxic ways to find pleasure and release. Alcohol is toxic and should be outlawed or regulated by doctors' prescription.

I'm 38 years old, have never experienced alcohol and have no desire to because my dad was an alcoholic as was his father. Alcohol makes people act loopy and throw up in the morning. It is dehydrating and it ages the skin. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram but contains no nutrients.

Any antioxidant properties alcohol offers can also be found by eating whole foods. And Food has nutrients!

Imagine living & experiencing life with a clear, happy mind, finding pleasure and release in healthy ways. Sex, yoga, sports, kayaking, jumping on a trampoline, running, aerobics classes, bungee jumping......

Why fry the brain with toxic alcohol?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:11 PM

905 posts, read 790,809 times
Yes, the drinking age should go back to 18. People like Zelpha are just sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
View detailed profiles of: