Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:29 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times

Advertisements

Best Beer Scene Winners: 2017 10Best Readers' Choice Travel Awards

Grand Rapids named best beer scene by USA today. This is the first list that wasn't shamelessly promoted by local media for votes. Perhaps the city really is branding its image
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 06:55 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,209 times
So.. I'm kind of a beer noob (blame Utah and my cultural upbringing...)

But in my exploration of the beer world, I've decided that I really like wheat beers, like Blue Moon, Shock Top, and Oberon. Shorts makes an American Lager that I quite enjoy as well. I've tried many IPAs and Pale Ales, but can't seem to get past the bitter taste. Are there any microbrews I can pick up at a grocery store or liquor store in Metro Detroit that any of you would recommend to me?

Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post

But in my exploration of the beer world, I've decided that I really like wheat beers, like Blue Moon, Shock Top, and Oberon. Shorts makes an American Lager that I quite enjoy as well. I've tried many IPAs and Pale Ales, but can't seem to get past the bitter taste. Are there any microbrews I can pick up at a grocery store or liquor store in Metro Detroit that any of you would recommend to me?
I'm kind of in your boat. I'm trying to make myself more of a beer person. Like you I haven't gotten past Lagers but I'm having my friends help me learn. I know there are people on here that can answer that question for you!

Old 03-28-2017, 08:08 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:

If they sell Short's in your area, try the Soft Parade. My wife likes it. Or their Beach Wheat which is a seasonal ale.

I highly recommend getting away from the shock tops, oberons and blue moons of the world. They're made in massive quantities by large conglomerates and not nearly the best tasting you'll find. Oberon gets worse every year.

Just look for pale ales, hefeweizens and anything with "sun" in the title but a Michigan craft brewery. Meijer usually has rows and rows of craft beers from Michigan now.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:50 PM

57 posts, read 105,317 times
Quote:

Also, try Arbor Bliss Wheat or Frankenmuth Hef. They're both from the East Side of MI and I think Meijer carries each.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Stay away from the nasty uber hoppy IPAs and from the excessively sweet beers and pretty much everything I have tried from Michgian micro brews is quite good. Most micros will throw out a Meh beer or bad beer before they will ruin their reputation by sending it out to market (except overly hoppy IPAs, then they just rely on marketing to get everyone to say they taste great).

Like you I do not get the love for the super hoppy nasty bitter IPAs. I think people just order them because they think they sound cool and trendy by ordering them. Saying they are awful is a social faux pas and very anti-hip. Maybe it is just emperors new cloths syndrome. Can anyone really like those things?

I have been something of a beer connoisseur for about 30 years and I am not afraid to say those excessively hoppy IPAs are absolutely awful.

Try Porters, wheat, oatmeal, amber ales, and the better balanced IPAs. Generally you can get a platter of beer shots to taste each draft beer offered and figure out what you like.

If you like fruity beers, there are lots of those offered right now. I do not like fruity beer or any kind of fruit in my beer (if you have to add lemon or lime to make it taste decent, then it is not a good beer), but some love it.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:17 AM

Currently the Jolly Pumpkin is renovating the space recently occupied by the Black Herron. There are also rumors of other big breweries within the state opening tap rooms along the bridge corridor. I've even heard it mentioned that some out of state breweries may be eyeing that area. In a couple years all of those breweries could become somewhat of an adult amusement park along Bridge St. Has anyone else heard rumors of more breweries coming?

Old 11-01-2017, 08:05 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
It's going to be come a craft drink mecca for sure:

Three new Michigan-based pubs joining Bridge Street on the West Side - GRNow.com® - Grand Rapids, MI's local restaurant, event and entertainment guide.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a few more announcements soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area