U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 05:17 PM

8 posts, read 17,607 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a job in Kentwood, MI and we are looking to relocate to an apartment/home rental in that area. We are originally from Tawas, MI (East side on Lake Huron) but relocated to SC for six years. We've lost touch with the "good" and "bad" area news, and we aren't very familiar with the Grand Rapids area. We're looking to be within 20 miles-ish of Kentwood. As mentioned earlier, we're looking to rent for the moment until we figure out exactly which area we want to be in. Suburban, decently lowish crime rate... you know, the American dream.

What are your thoughts on....

Kentwood
Cutlerville
Jamestown
Caledonia
Byron Center
Georgetown
Zeeland
Gaines
Hudsonville
Wyoming
Alto
Lowell
Middleville
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 02:43 PM

4,397 posts, read 4,200,913 times
Everyplace you mentioned is pretty much acceptable. Just depends on if you want to live in the country, or be closer to the action in the suburbs. Right now the rental market is pretty hot in Grand Rapids, waitlists can go out sometimes 3 months or more. What kind of things do you want about the place you move to? That might help narrow it down.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:24 PM

Thank you mjlo! We are looking for a little bit of country but not too far out of the way (easy access to main roads). We are animal lovers (dog, three cats, and two sugar gliders) so we would like a bit of yard for the dog to pay. Also, we are only hoping to rent for 6 months vs. a full year, as we plan on buying soon after. What would you suggest in that department? Also, are there any specific areas that you would recommend staying away from?

Old 10-16-2014, 06:43 PM

Based on your description I'd look for renting a house south of the M-6 corridor first. More space, room for animals ect. I'd first look into Alto, Caledonia, Lowell, Gaines Twp. perhaps the Byron Center area, or in Wyoming south of 44th st. Rent prices in those areas will be more expensive, a lot will depend on what you're willing to spend. If commuting is an option look into the north metro area Comstock Park and other Parts of Plainfield Twp. That will max out the distance willing to travel but from a living stand point the north side of the metro area is more aesthetically pleasing than the perfectly laid out grid of the south metro. It gets a bad rap but Craigslist has the the widest variety of options. The volume of listings is plentiful and it's usually pretty easy to tell the scammers from the legit posters.

There aren't too many areas that you need to avoid. Kentwood and Wyoming are both pretty diverse suburbs, if you're worried about crime prone areas there aren't too many. Some patchy neighborhoods at best but you can pretty much avoid them if you stay south of 36th/44th St. Even if you were too find a place in those areas you're not likely to have many problems.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:11 AM

8,885 posts, read 18,181,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truepacific View Post
My husband has accepted a job in Kentwood, MI and we are looking to relocate to an apartment/home rental in that area. We are originally from Tawas, MI (East side on Lake Huron) but relocated to SC for six years. We've lost touch with the "good" and "bad" area news, and we aren't very familiar with the Grand Rapids area. We're looking to be within 20 miles-ish of Kentwood. As mentioned earlier, we're looking to rent for the moment until we figure out exactly which area we want to be in. Suburban, decently lowish crime rate... you know, the American dream.

What are your thoughts on....

Kentwood
Cutlerville
Jamestown
Caledonia
Byron Center
Georgetown
Zeeland
Gaines
Hudsonville
Wyoming
Alto
Lowell
Middleville

That's a lot of places to choose from. If you're going to be working in Kentwood, the area West of where M-6 and I-196 meet is a pretty far drive, especially in the winter. So I'd probably concentrate on Gaines, Byron Center, the Southern end of Wyoming, Kentwood, maybe Caledonia.

You're not going to find a lot of crime in many of those areas. Suburban teenagers getting into trouble and your occasionally drunk driver.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:55 PM

Awesome. Thank you both very much! I took your advice(s) and found a couple nice place places in Gaines and Caledonia. I also have some family located in Lowell, so they're keeping their eyes open for me around that area. Thank you again!

Old 09-07-2016, 07:52 PM

341 posts, read 324,048 times
Default I have an interview in Kentwood, MI latter this week. What can you tell me about the area other then the google stuff?

I have an interview in Kentwood, MIlatter this week. What can you tell me about the area other then thegoogle stuff? How far from St Joseph, MI or Grand Rapids, MI is it? Thank you.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:13 AM

8,885 posts, read 18,181,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post
I have an interview in Kentwood, MIlatter this week. What can you tell me about the area other then thegoogle stuff? How far from St Joseph, MI or Grand Rapids, MI is it? Thank you.
It's basically a suburb of Grand Rapids. The two cities border each other. It's a big suburb with malls and homes and schools and stuff.

It's an hour and 20 minutes from St Joe though, or so.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:35 AM

341 posts, read 324,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
It's basically a suburb of Grand Rapids. The two cities border each other. It's a big suburb with malls and homes and schools and stuff.

It's an hour and 20 minutes from St Joe though, or so.
Thank you. Do you know the rental market?

Old 09-09-2016, 10:52 AM

So you asked how close Kentwood was to St. Joe, and Grand Rapids. That's basically like asking how close Oakbrook is to Chicago, and Peoria. They are not really related. Gonna need a little more of the specifics on what you're looking for in order to provided you with accurate information. Your one line posts aren't enough to help

If the job is in Kentwood how far are you willing to travel for work? Is there anything specifically important about the neighborhood your living in? What kind of price range are you looking to staying bedrooms/bathrooms ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area