Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 07:40 AM

5,251 posts, read 5,966,068 times

Advertisements

Downtown movie complex plans grow to include housing and retail | MLive.com

This has been around for almost 3 years. I actually thought the concept had died. Now it looks like it's going to include retail and residential as well, and of course parking. $8.5 million price seems low to me given the price tag of other big projects. No renderings, but they only asked for a six month extension on the purchase option so that seems optimistic.

The question has been raised if downtown can support a movie theater and lots of examples pointing to other urban cinemas that failed (notably in Kzoo). It would seem with the addition of residential and retail it would provide supplemental income to offset the cinema if residents didn't flock right away. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:11 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,565,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Downtown movie complex plans grow to include housing and retail | MLive.com

This has been around for almost 3 years. I actually thought the concept had died. Now it looks like it's going to include retail and residential as well, and of course parking. $8.5 million price seems low to me given the price tag of other big projects. No renderings, but they only asked for a six month extension on the purchase option so that seems optimistic.

The question has been raised if downtown can support a movie theater and lots of examples pointing to other urban cinemas that failed (notably in Kzoo). It would seem with the addition of residential and retail it would provide supplemental income to offset the cinema if residents didn't flock right away. Any thoughts?
The theater in downtown Kalamazoo that closed has re-opened as the Alamo Drafthouse. I haven't been there, but the online reviews are very good. Hopefully it can stick around.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:37 AM

5,251 posts, read 5,966,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The theater in downtown Kalamazoo that closed has re-opened as the Alamo Drafthouse. I haven't been there, but the online reviews are very good. Hopefully it can stick around.
For some reason I thought that the Alamo Drafthouse also closed.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:59 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,771,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
For some reason I thought that the Alamo Drafthouse also closed.
They still have a website, with fresh content:

Kalamazoo Movie Theater | Kalamazoo | Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,042,099 times
I'd much rather have a mid sized music theatre. We have the intersection (cap at about 1400) and venues smaller, then we have the van andel (cap at 12,500). There's NOTHING in between. Most bands worth seeing generally play venues in the 3,500-6,000. Sure, we have devos hall, but they don't utilize it, and when they do have a rare show worth seeing it just seems stuffy in there. We need something similar to like the fox theatre, or royal oak theatre, where they have 3-4 bands per week, not 3-4 bands per year... So a 4,000 cap theatre would be great, and a 10,000 cap ampitheatre would be awesome. Meijer gardens is cool, but it's so small that it makes it so expensive, and again they don't get enough shows. Music>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Movies, especially since I can't even remember the last time I saw a good movie in theatres. Maybe I am legend? What was that, 2006?

Old 03-14-2015, 02:59 AM

447 posts, read 491,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
They still have a website, with fresh content:

Kalamazoo Movie Theater | Kalamazoo | Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
Still open and thriving, The Rave did not so much as go out of business in downtown Kalamazoo, as they had a dispute over the lease with the owner of the building. It seams that rents are rising and they did not like it. The building owners quickly found a better tenant with Alamo.

For anyone that is not familiar with the Alamo chain, their theaters have tables and as you enjoy the movie, wait staff take your food and drink orders. They offer a full diner menu along with a huge beer list, wine and cocktails. I have been hooked since the first time that I tried it and will no longer go to a regular theater. The best way that I can describe the difference is by liking it to having the option of going to and watching a football game from either the sideline stands or an fully stocked bar and catered, corporate box seat.

Having a theater downtown is great and the people of Grand Rapids are going to love it!
Hit a few breweries, tour some galleries, go out to diner, see a movie or a show, and then bar hop afterword and all without ever getting into your car.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:12 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,125,031 times
I'm not familiar with venues in Grand Rapids, but does Grand Rapids not have a "performing arts" theater (not movie theater) downtown?

Old 03-14-2015, 03:25 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,771,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I'm not familiar with venues in Grand Rapids, but does Grand Rapids not have a "performing arts" theater (not movie theater) downtown?
Yes, it does, several. Devos Hall, St Cecelia's, Civic Theater, Circle Theater at GRCC, and the ballet has its own venue downtown. I think Westownrambler is saying there's nothing in 3000- 5000 seat range to see live music. Although, that's unrelated to a movie theater discussion.

The new Venue at The Bob I think will handle 1500 - 2000 I believe.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:00 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,125,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Yes, it does, several. Devos Hall, St Cecelia's, Civic Theater, Circle Theater at GRCC, and the ballet has its own venue downtown. I think Westownrambler is saying there's nothing in 3000- 5000 seat range to see live music. Although, that's unrelated to a movie theater discussion.

The new Venue at The Bob I think will handle 1500 - 2000 I believe.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area