U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 593 times

Advertisements

I have been renting a "Finished" basement in Michigan since October 2014, with me and my boyfriend in the basement and the landlord and her boyfriend upstairs. Everything started fine until a few weeks later.
Me and my boyfriend started renting the place after having lived in a car for a month, and the rent was originally 380, but raised to 405 after we got a dog. We pay for the basement, shared kitchen upstairs and shared bathroom. Originally, we did not pay utilities, however, our landlord asked us to pay half, so all together we pay about $600 a month.

The problems started in November. I got a facebook message from the landlord where she was yelling at me about the lights being left on (Although I ALWAYS turn off the lights because I was used to it from my dad being energy saving like). Later on, she got on us about food, saying we need to contribute, although we do. I started taking my EBT card to get food (I get $194 a month.). Unfortunately, this turned bad as well. The food would be gone literally within five days, even though we bought $194 worth, because my landlord and her boyfriend are larger and eat ALOT. Many of the two liters I bought I never got the even drink because they would take them and drink right from the top of it. I eventually started taking my own two liters downstairs and hiding them to avoid this.

Around December was when the severe issues started. My landlords dog had puppies and she started CONSTANTLY running an electric heater nearby to keep them warm (Despite the heat being on). We got the electric bill and it spiked severely. I talked to her about it, saying she should be paying that difference with the heater, and she up and said "If you don't like it, you can MOVE!". A few days later on Christmas my boyfriend unplugged the heater because it was burning hot in the room and the pool where the puppies were in was warping because of the heater. We went to his family for xmas dinner and she texted me with the following (copy and pasted exactly what was said) "Im not gonna tell you again! If you unplug the heater again I WILL throw all of your stuff out and you can go live back in your car! You could have killed them!"

We later got into a big argument about it, but later on it settled down. Next came around January 15th when we got our bills. She told us that the heat and electric would be higher that month, so we said okay. Later that day we called the home owner and asked how much everything really is, and he turned around and called my landlord, which then she texted me: "(name removed) is MY landlord NOT yours. If you have a problem with how things are going here you can LEAVE."

Then recently, my landlord told us the electric bill was $300 and that our half would be $150. However, the bill was left on the kitchen counter by accident and my boyfriend seen it. The bill was actually $108. She tried to make us pay $150, when our half should actually have been $54. My boyfriend then confronted her and she accused us of going into her bedroom and "Stealing" the bill from her dresser, and said the bill was "Wrong" and apparantly the website says $300. Well, we got into an argument and she kicked us out, saying we need to pack and go. Since we are not on a lease, we had no 30 day period, we simply had to go. She then came and apologized and we stopped packing.

Now, advance to a week ago. We pay $194 for food a month and they eat the food we buy. They started getting food as well recently, but despite them eating our food, they write "NO" on their food, which isn't right.

I am totally fed up with living here and am seeking advice as to what I should do. I live in a place where its VERY hard to find apartments and me and my boyfriends Mcdonalds jobs only net around $700 a month. We hardly have any extra money and it literally took us 4 months to save $1100 for a new car. We are at a loss of what we should do, as we are basically "Trapped" living in this situation. Please help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 09:27 AM

6 posts, read 8,156 times
I don't know all of your circumstances regarding child support payments, etc.

My advice is to move asap as they clearly don't want you there. They cannot throw you or your things out without proper eviction (1-2 months after notice). If they do, sue them for violation of homeless laws. You need a plan to move...
- My advice is to watch Craigslist ads looking for room-mates.
- My advice is to work at least 30-40 hours a week. 30 hour X 2 x $8.25 x 4.34 weeks = $2,148/month. 40 hours is $2,864/month.
- My advice is to not have a dog if you only make $700 month... adding this expense likely pissed off your current LL. It would anger anyone who was trying to help with affordable housing. Why did you purposely make your circumstances more difficult? Soon you may be homeless with a dog... that is a stupid position to put yourself in and will make it even harder to get someone to lease/sub-lease to you when you have the financial means.
- My advice is to not waste valuable food dollars on cola (and other crap) if you are only making $700/month. It is not healthy and adds empty calories to your diet.

Best of luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area