Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 01:02 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,126 times

Advertisements

Grand Rapids said to have lowest rental vacancy in the country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 02:20 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,217 times
Do you think it's possible for Grand Rapids to overtake Detroit as the largest city in Michigan?

Old 06-12-2015, 02:51 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Saying that it's highly unlikely would be generous. The Detroit area outnumbers the Grand Rapids area by more than 4 to 1. The chances of it being unseated as Michigans Juggernaut would take decades or centuries, if at all.

In the remote scenario that Grand Rapids were to merge with Kent County it would be in striking range of Detroit, if it stayed at it's current rate of decline. Even in that impossible scenario only on paper.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:59 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post

We just bought a house recently to rent out and put it on Zillow/Postlets: 15 inquiries, 8 showing requests, rented it to the 2nd people who went through it, in 3 days (they also had pretty good credit).

We were glad because they're getting ready to build a big luxury apartment complex not far from the house, 230 units I believe (near Knapp's Corner Meijer)

Old 12-12-2015, 11:37 PM

203 posts, read 386,193 times
Does the low vacancy rate primarily affect the City of Grand Rapids proper? Or does it make it difficult to find housing in the suburbs as well?

Is it easier to find housing in less than desirable neighborhoods, or are even those difficult?

What are the practical effects of the low vacancy rate? Waiting lists? Having to look long and hard to find any housing at all? Does it make landlords highly selective about which tenants they will accept?

If it changes anything, I'm primarily interested in studios and 1 bedroom apartments. (Shared housing is not under consideration.)

Old 12-13-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmEverywhere View Post
Does the low vacancy rate primarily affect the City of Grand Rapids proper? Or does it make it difficult to find housing in the suburbs as well?

Is it easier to find housing in less than desirable neighborhoods, or are even those difficult?

What are the practical effects of the low vacancy rate? Waiting lists? Having to look long and hard to find any housing at all? Does it make landlords highly selective about which tenants they will accept?

If it changes anything, I'm primarily interested in studios and 1 bedroom apartments. (Shared housing is not under consideration.)
Not sure what your time frame is but there are a lot of apartment projects under construction. I think there are 3000 in the works just in the city of GR, but they take a while to get through the planning process.

If you like "urban" apartments, 616 Development is one of the larger apartment developers.

616 Lofts | residential property management in Grand Rapids, MI

These apartments by Rockford Construction seem to be moving right along:

Fulton Place Grand Rapids - Apartments Opening Fall 2016

Rockford also has The Morton:

The Morton: Downtown Grand Rapids Apartments & Condos

The Rowe is under construction:

The ROWE

And the Waters Building is being converted into a hotel and apartments:

Residential - Waters Center

A lot of people rent out their condos at Union Square and The Boardwalk too. There are a lot of other resources to find apartments, but that's a good start.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the detailed list of leads!

Curious, any read on how selective these properties are?

Long story short, my timeframe is probably months. However, I plan to start networking in the area. Getting offered long-term, on-site work in the area could accelerate this timeframe to a couple weeks. Or it could be never...there are other cities I'd be willing to relocate to if that's where someone offers long-term, on-site work.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed list of leads!

Curious, any read on how selective these properties are?

Long story short, my timeframe is probably months. However, I plan to start networking in the area. Getting offered long-term, on-site work in the area could accelerate this timeframe to a couple weeks. Or it could be never...there are other cities I'd be willing to relocate to if that's where someone offers long-term, on-site work.
No idea how "selective" they are. I believe they rely heavily on credit ratings.

If you're going to be in the area, AimWest has their holiday mixer this Wednesday. They're a big tech based networking group:

aimWest: The Technology Association of West Michigan

Old 12-14-2015, 11:27 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times
Quote:

I used to live here. It was on short notice:

Home :: The Gallery Apartments

They were great. Even gave me the same rate for a short-term lease while I was waiting for my house to close.

Loved the location.

When I moved, I did have to find an apartment for my ex-girlfriend(ok, didn't have to, but I was trying to be a good guy). The landlords seemed to be picky, but that's what you typically want in a landlord. I would question a landlord that was a "we take just about anyone" type of person.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:49 AM

Upscale buildings in central neighborhoods are obviously going to be selective. And you're right that you don't want the opposite extreme of a management company which will rent to absolutely anyone.

My concern is that in boomtowns with tight rental markets, even minor credit issues or being self-employed can mean not finding adequate housing at all. Is Grand Rapids similar?

Where I am now, there are livable buildings in livable areas which will rent to anyone with no felonies and no evictions who earns 2 or 2.5 times the rent. These buildings are not anyone's first choice, but they are adequate housing. Are there similar places in west Michigan, even if it means settling for suburban and/or marginal areas?

I looked at the website for the Gallery Apartments. Unfortunately even the studios are probably out of my price range.

Thanks for the heads-up about the mixer. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area