Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 01:52 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,052,788 times

Advertisements

6-story downtown office building will get a $3.5 million facelift | MLive.com

We don't really have a thread for general development so I decided to start one here to keep track of some of it. It's a bit late in the game with everything going on.

The Cornerstone building is getting a 3.5 million dollar investment. This is apparently inspired by the complete overhaul of the Morton next door. It is apparently 35% occupied right now with more tenants lined up. One thing that got my attention is that one of the tenants they had lined up were moving downtown to attract young talent. Which goes back to other debates we've had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 03:29 PM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,958 times
Personally, I'm most interested in the new ownership of Oakwood Manor. My husband and I lived there from 1992 to 2000. We loved that great old building, but it certainly never got any love from it's constant stream of owners and managers. We hoped it would become condominiums (we would have jumped at the chance at buying our apartment!) but alas, that never happened. I still dream about that place. Let's hope the new ownership does right by it for a damn change.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Personally, I'm most interested in the new ownership of Oakwood Manor. My husband and I lived there from 1992 to 2000. We loved that great old building, but it certainly never got any love from it's constant stream of owners and managers. We hoped it would become condominiums (we would have jumped at the chance at buying our apartment!) but alas, that never happened. I still dream about that place. Let's hope the new ownership does right by it for a damn change.
You know I read about that transaction. I haven't heard much since. The new ownership said they were going to update it. It was vague however and I couldn't tell If "update" meant they were going to touch it up and put in new appliances in some units, or give it a complete overhaul like on other big projects.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:21 PM

New 400-room hotel proposed for DeVos Place convention center | MLive.com

24 story hotel tower considered on convention center site. It would be city/county owned. I would love to see this building there.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Pretty cool looking, in an area that could use some foot traffic, especially with new retail going in across the street as part of the Calder Plaza re-do.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:34 AM

Grand Rapids development with downtown Meijer store gets $18.5M in state tax break, loans | MLive.com

The west side "super block" gets a pretty substantial tax break. They've already fenced off the area for demolition. This will contain the first urban format Meijer store, and hopefully help boost the downtown retail scene. Although it is a couple blocks outside of downtown. The west side is rapidly becoming the most trendy urban neighborhood in Michigan with all of the cash Rockford is dumping into it.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:21 PM

I thought I would take pictures some of the projects going on in various stages. I'm sure I missed a few. I'll have to do this in a few different posts since I can only do 5 photos per post.

I'll start with the westside.

New Holland Brewery and Barley Flats apartments on Bridge St, by Rockford Development.

One block Further down Bridge 616 lofts on Alabama. Developer: 616 Lofts. Renovation/Conversion of old Warehouse, and construction of 39 units in new building.

Across Seward Avenue from 616 lofts. Westside Super Block. Four buildings flanking Bridge St, Seward, and Lexington Ave lining a central parking structure. The state of Michigan just approved an 18.5 million dollar tax credit.
Developer: Rockford Construction/ICCF

601 Lexington Apartments
Developer: Unsure

Last edited by mjlo; 04-26-2017 at 08:30 PM..

Old 04-26-2017, 06:36 PM

Downtown:

Michigan State University College of Human Medicine Biomedical research facilty. (Across the street is the recently completed Rowe condominiums and apartments.

Venue Tower and 20 Monroe Live(entertainment venue).
Developer: Orion Construction(Venue Tower) The Gilmore Group(20 Monroe Live)
Status: (20 Monroe Live) Complete (Venue Tower) Under Construction.

Site of proposed 42 story Hilton Hotel and apartment tower
Developer: The Hinman Group
Status: Planning (Unclear if market conditions allow this to be brought to fruition)

20 Fulton
Developer: Brookstone Capital

Site of Warner Tower and Hyatt Place Hotel
Developer: Orion Construction
Status: Planning (Orion has been very bullish and has started every project it has planned, I see this happening)

Old 04-26-2017, 06:47 PM

Downtown cont'd

The Keeler Building
Developer: unsure
Status: Planned LIHTC apartments (there is a big shortage of these types of apartments, strong chance this goes through, depending on the developer).

240 Market St. (Southern edge of downtown not sure if it qualifies)
Developer: Maplegrove Properties?

North Monroe neighborhood

Embassy Suites Hotel
Developer: Suburban Inns

Orion Riverfront Apartments
Developer: Orion

An over exposed shot of the low income developement going in across the river from the Orion Apts. Not to sure on the details of this one.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 PM

Belknap Neighborhood

Flanking the corner of Clancy and Trowbridge are the Trowbridge lofts, and the Orion development, both under construction. This pair of developments is transforms two full blocks in Belknap, and compliment several brownstone, and condo projects under way. A lot of the construction in Belknap is smaller in nature and I don't know all of it.

The GVSU Finkelstein center. The first building of on several blocks purchased by GVSU for it's medical mile campus. I believe they also have tentative plans for their lot next to the Cook-Devos center on Michigan.

Midtown Neighborhood

The huge apartment project at Grand and Benson. By a Georgian Developer. Fuzzy on the details of this as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area