Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 01:41 PM

17 posts, read 23,502 times

Advertisements

Hi Grand Rapids!

A local Seattleite here! We are not planning to move anytime soon but really just inquiring, to gain more information about Grand Rapids from locals about the economy, people, schools, culture, weather, etc. what it is like to raise a family there. I read that unemployment is low in GR, and so now I'm more interested to know what the major industries are there and types of jobs that are available? Is it more working class or are there plenty of opportunities for professionals? My husband and I are both college educated and we have a 1 year old with possibly another child in the near future. He works in finance and I am a licensed mental health counselor although I am staying at home right now to raise my son while he's young.

We live in Seattle but like many middle class families in a major metropolitan area, we are really feeling the squeeze with the rising cost of living. The traffic has become horrendous, the public school system are failing in the areas we can afford to own a home, the community doesn't always feel safe and there's a growing homelessness population. The job market in Seattle is doing great for the affluent and college educated, with many high paying jobs, but unfortunately even those salaries are in no way keeping up with the rising house prices. I think it's about 50% more here than GR to own a home and that number is steadily growing because of a lack of inventory. Most people have to drive at least 1.5 hours (one way) from work in order to live in a safer community with good public schools.

There are so many things that I would miss about this area if I were to move (ie, family and friends, the beauty of everything we have here, outdoors - there's so much to do, mild climate, diversity and inclusion, educated and progressive people, culture, just to name a few). But lately it has been feeling like "the grass is greener on the other side" in Grand Rapids and several other Midwest cities, at least in terms of where to raise a family and get a head.

Would you mind sharing your experience of what it's like living there? Thanks for your time!

Samantha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 06:58 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalamojo View Post
Hi Grand Rapids!

A local Seattleite here! We are not planning to move anytime soon but really just inquiring, to gain more information about Grand Rapids from locals about the economy, people, schools, culture, weather, etc. what it is like to raise a family there. I read that unemployment is low in GR, and so now I'm more interested to know what the major industries are there and types of jobs that are available? Is it more working class or are there plenty of opportunities for professionals? My husband and I are both college educated and we have a 1 year old with possibly another child in the near future. He works in finance and I am a licensed mental health counselor although I am staying at home right now to raise my son while he's young.

We live in Seattle but like many middle class families in a major metropolitan area, we are really feeling the squeeze with the rising cost of living. The traffic has become horrendous, the public school system are failing in the areas we can afford to own a home, the community doesn't always feel safe and there's a growing homelessness population. The job market in Seattle is doing great for the affluent and college educated, with many high paying jobs, but unfortunately even those salaries are in no way keeping up with the rising house prices. I think it's about 50% more here than GR to own a home and that number is steadily growing because of a lack of inventory. Most people have to drive at least 1.5 hours (one way) from work in order to live in a safer community with good public schools.

There are so many things that I would miss about this area if I were to move (ie, family and friends, the beauty of everything we have here, outdoors - there's so much to do, mild climate, diversity and inclusion, educated and progressive people, culture, just to name a few). But lately it has been feeling like "the grass is greener on the other side" in Grand Rapids and several other Midwest cities, at least in terms of where to raise a family and get a head.

Would you mind sharing your experience of what it's like living there? Thanks for your time!

Samantha
It's great. You'll love it.

It's pretty hard to answer all of the aspects of living in a place in one thread. If you search this Grand Rapids forum section, you'll find 10 years worth of threads related to all of those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area