Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,049 times

Advertisements

It's in the water. GR had the first fluoridated water in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 06:24 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Breaking news: Grand Rapids still makes things!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:19 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,136 times
Grand Rapids has a very diverse manufacturing base. It ain't just Steelcase but there are so many medium size light manufacturing plants (100-300) employees, especially out by the airport in Kentwood that make it click. There's quite a bit of food production in the area. Great place to make money. I did pretty well being a no degree semi skilled tradesman up there and wouldn't mind going back.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:04 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Construction projects flow into Grand Rapids | 2017-03-24 | Grand Rapids Business Journal

Really cool map that show's all of the different projects around downtown.

Quote:
Since 2000, there has been approximately $3 billion worth of construction in Grand Rapids, including more than $1.7 billion since 2012.

Quote:
Along with the rapid influx in development dollars, more than 4,050 residential units have been added to the city since 2011, including more than 1,500 last yea

I really do think this plays a huge part in Grand Rapids not declining. The article mentions there is a billion $ worth of construction planned for 2017 so far. I don't think people realize how much investment has taken place in GR over the last 15 years.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:17 AM

So the census estimates for 2017 came out yesterday. Grand Rapids surged past its peak population by more than 1000 residents to 198,829. The 2578 resident gain is the largest for this decade. Even if the city has a weaker year for the 2018 numbers it's still likely to surpass the 200,000 point which has been just out of its reach for decades. There are still over 1000 apartment units under construction in and around downtown. I expect that as the housing crunch continues they will get filled.

There was a softening of growth in the inner ring suburbs. I think this is due to the housing crunch as well. The area is still gaining residents at the same rate it has been for the last 6 years, it's just starting to shift to exurban areas.

Couple of points to note from this years numbers:

- They are estimating the city of Wyoming has passed Kalamazoo in population and is now the 2nd largest city in W. MI. Wyoming has been on Kzoo's heels for a while now. The difference is just a bit more than 100 people so it could shift back, though Wyoming's growth has been more consistent than Kzoo which is up and down.

-Grand Rapids has jumped over both Little Rock AR, and Akron OH in the rankings. It started the decade as the 124th largest city in the country, it's now 119th.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:00 AM

https://www.city-journal.org/html/ma...ack-15833.html

Interesting article that confirms some of the reasons GR didn't decline.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
https://www.city-journal.org/html/ma...ack-15833.html

Interesting article that confirms some of the reasons GR didn't decline.
I really liked that blog/article. It didn't pull any punches.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:02 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Rochester was stagnant for a while, but what it was was the old economy (Xerox, Kodak) collapsing as other startups built up. The fact the city hasn't lost jobs when between the two biggest employers lost like 100,000 jobs evaporated is pretty impressive.
However, right now Grand Rapids is probably the healthiest market in the entire Midwest.
This is not true. Healthy, yes. Healthier than Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Des Moines, Columbus etc? No. Maybe close, but I highly doubt it's outpacing every major city in the Midwest

Old 10-21-2018, 08:13 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Ft. Wayne of the some of the worst unemployment rates in the country before the Obama administration bailed them out? Great Republican leadership there in the 00s.
I think you're thinking of Elkhart, RV capital of the world. Had 20% unemployment in 2009. Fort Wayne faced economic downturn in the 70s and 80s, but its downtown and economy have rebounded back quite nicely. Not quite to Grand Rapids levels, but it's a comeback city and is experiencing a lot of growth and investment similar to Grand Rapids.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
This is not true. Healthy, yes. Healthier than Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Des Moines, Columbus etc? No. Maybe close, but I highly doubt it's outpacing every major city in the Midwest
I think you have to define "healthy market." Growth-wise it is outperforming every other market in the Midwest/Great Lakes area, even Indianapolis, Minneapolis and Columbus, averaging 2.5 - 3.0% annual new job creation/job growth over the last couple of years. Are wages up to par where they should be? I don't think so, but actually low labor costs and a mostly non-unionized workforce are some of the reasons that so many manufacturers are doing well here and aren't moving very much work overseas or to Mexico as was the trend in the 90's and 00's. Some still are but most are not.

But diversifying the economy is working and what used to a job market with 20%+ of workers in manufacturing is now only about 12 - 15%. Everyone here seems to be hiring, and I mean everyone. Giant billboards everywhere about job openings and starting pay. And with Amazon opening a distribution center soon, they need 1000 full time workers and are starting to advertise for it. Hopefully that will push wages up as employers compete for workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area