Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2016, 09:50 PM

216 posts, read 755,782 times

Advertisements

What is the Asian population in Grand Rapid Metro in term of percentage? Are there Asian grocery stores, Korean, Chinese etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 04:43 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
The Asian population in Grand Rapids is not significant, they make up around 3% of the current population(it is growing). However the Asian population in GR is fairly authentic and diverse given it's size. For instance the Grand Rapids area has the largest Vietnamese population in Michigan. The Asian population around Grand Rapids is centered in the inner ring suburbs of Wyoming and Kentwood. The few Authentic Asian markets and restaurants I have seen are in this area(the biggest being on Division ave between 44th and 36th streets.) You can get a pretty authentic style Chinese dining experience with the wheel ect, dim sum, and some of the more authentic things you see in a Chinese market. Also there are a couple of good Pho restaurants. My job takes me to Asia a couple of times a years so I have some limited instincts as to what's authentic and what's been Americanized, I am by no means an expert though.

The city of Holland along the lake shore also has a small Asian population cluster. Holland Twp just north of downtown Holland is close to 10% Asian. However I am not as familiar with the businesses in the area. If you do a quick google search for Asian markets in GR it'll pull up a few places.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:38 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,989 times
There's quite a few Asians on the western side of Wyoming. You'll find a few scattered about around the area, but that's where you'll see the highest percentage. This is also where you'll find most of the "authentic" Asian grocery stores.

Funny enough, that's also where you'll find most of the "authentic" foreigners living. There's quite a large Mexican and El Salvadorian population in the exact same area.

On the whole though, the metropolitan area does not have a lot of Asians compared to other major metropolitan areas.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:25 PM

74 posts, read 287,996 times
The Asian population may be growing (slightly) in the metro area, but still makes a very small percentage, and is actually declining within the GR city limits, Im not sure why but this is a factual site connected to specific numbers you can look up. The only area that seems to have a sizable population would be the area where GR/Wyoming/Kentwood all meet around south Division and 36th

Old 12-22-2016, 07:11 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
There's quite a few Asians on the western side of Wyoming. You'll find a few scattered about around the area, but that's where you'll see the highest percentage. This is also where you'll find most of the "authentic" Asian grocery stores.

Funny enough, that's also where you'll find most of the "authentic" foreigners living. There's quite a large Mexican and El Salvadorian population in the exact same area.

On the whole though, the metropolitan area does not have a lot of Asians compared to other major metropolitan areas.
I meant eastern side of Wyoming.

Studying Spanish is making me confuse east and west

Old 12-28-2016, 05:44 PM

107 posts, read 120,374 times
Wyoming has a lot of great Asian grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area