U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2017, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Arden, NC
39 posts, read 58,431 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

I saw a home for rent in zip: 49506. How is that neighborhood?

My husband and I are retired and living in Tucson, AZ. I miss the seasons that we had in Chicago, but Chicago is too cold for us now. Tucson's temperature gets up to 115 in the summer. This is too hot.

Grand Rapids is one city on the 10 best places to live and I know nothing about it. We love art fairs, museums, good restaurants, and especially midwesterners. So, please suggest neighborhoods that resemble Chicago without the weather problems.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2017, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,996 posts, read 66,339,589 times
Reputation: 33424
Grand Rapids is a nice city. I do not know a lot about East Grand Rapids, but there are only a few places where going by a zip code will tell you much. Most zip codes include great places and not so great places.

The only other real City city is Detroit. Downtown and mid-town Detroit are awesome. There are tons of theaters, sports venues, museums, a university, music venues and convention after convention.

Almost everything on the West Coast of Michigan is terrific. Traverse City is beautiful and fun. One of the prettiest little cities you will find. South Haven, Grand Haven, the artist place the starts with an S, everything along there is pretty and pleasant.

Petosky is nice IMO. Most of the upper Peninsula is wrapped in natural beauty.

On the east side, in addition to Detroit: Ann Arbor is one of the best college towns anywhere; Royal Oak and Wyandotte are both fun and nice; Novi is the shoppingest place I have been. Troy is pleasant and has a really fancy shopping mall; The Grosse Pointes are pretty pleasant and right in the edge of Detroit. We love the natural beauty and hominess of Grosse Ile. There are all kinds of quaint small towns and former small towns. Northville, Chelsea, Plymouth, Milford, Romeo, Saline, Marshall (middle of the state). . . and lots of very pleasant newish suburbs with all the normal chain stores restaurants and movie theaters. There are also many lake communities in Northwest Oakland County. Little places where most of the homes are on small lakes and the lifestyle is focused around lake living.

In general, however the west side tend to be generally prettier than the East side. The East side has more going on. However the Southwest part of Michigan is close to Chicago, so you can draw off them for fun and culture and go home to enjoy quiet and pretty. (although surprisingly, Detroit has more theater space, a better Symphony and possibly a better art museum (not positive about the last one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2017, 07:23 AM
 
127 posts, read 136,832 times
Reputation: 194
So the OP asks about 49506 and Coldjensens replies about everything but 49506 including Detroit.

If you do a Google map of 49506 you will see that it consists of mainly the city of East Grand Rapids, and the Eastown neighborhood of Grand Rapids along with a bit of East Hills.

In a nutshell, East Grand Rapids is about the best place you can live anywhere. It’s very walk-able, has good schools, intelligent people and beautiful neighborhoods, and Reeds Lake. For the most part it is high income, sometimes very high income, although there is plenty of good middle class housing but it is valued higher than similar housing elsewhere in the area because of East Grand Rapids desirability. It’s the perfect town that you used to see in sit-coms in the fifties and sixties, maybe even better because of Reeds Lake.

Eastown and East Hills are walk-able too but not for everyone. Eastown for decades has been the city’s hip neighborhood and is more diverse, (East Grand Rapids is almost exclusively white.) Housing stock is not as nice as EGR although the Ottawa Hills neighborhood within Eastown is for the most part as nice as EGR but without the price premium. As you go west you come to the edge of East Hills. Until about ten years ago this wasn’t a place you’d want to live if you didn’t have to. But it’s become gentrified and is the new hip neighborhood; maybe hipster neighborhood is a better phrase. Housing stock for the most part is another step or two down from Eastown since this area was mostly built and occupied by blue collar workers originally, although there is plenty of new construction and remodeling going on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
. . .although surprisingly, Detroit has more theater space, a better Symphony and possibly a better art museum (not positive about the last one).
The Detroit Institute of Arts is in the same class as the Chicago Art Institute. The GR Art Museum, or GRAM as its called, is not even close. There is enough artsy stuff in Grand Rapids to keep you busy if that's your thing but it isn't in the same league as Chicago or Detroit, but then Grand Rapids is only three hours from Chicago or Detroit even if you drive slow like me.

Weather is not going to be much different than Chicago. Because of lake effect, it will be just slightly warmer in the winter and just slightly cooler in the summer, but there will be more snow.

Last edited by walker46; 02-09-2017 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2017, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,996 posts, read 66,339,589 times
Reputation: 33424
Actually the OP asked "What areas are the best places to live?"

They said that zip code was one place they are looking at. If they wanted to know only about East Grand Rapids they would have posted a question about east grand rapids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2017, 07:53 AM
 
127 posts, read 136,832 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Actually the OP asked "What areas are the best places to live?"

They said that zip code was one place they are looking at. If they wanted to know only about East Grand Rapids they would have posted a question about east grand rapids.
Actually in the post I read the OP said "I saw a home for rent in zip: 49506. How is that neighborhood?"

49506 includes the three areas I wrote about.

We must have been reading different posts, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2017, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,885 posts, read 17,872,244 times
Reputation: 3875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Actually the OP asked "What areas are the best places to live?"

They said that zip code was one place they are looking at. If they wanted to know only about East Grand Rapids they would have posted a question about east grand rapids.
"How is the neighborhood 49506? And what about West Philadelphia?"

Makes total sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2017, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,885 posts, read 17,872,244 times
Reputation: 3875
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker46 View Post
So the OP asks about 49506 and Coldjensens replies about everything but 49506 including Detroit.

If you do a Google map of 49506 you will see that it consists of mainly the city of East Grand Rapids, and the Eastown neighborhood of Grand Rapids along with a bit of East Hills.

In a nutshell, East Grand Rapids is about the best place you can live anywhere. It’s very walk-able, has good schools, intelligent people and beautiful neighborhoods, and Reeds Lake. For the most part it is high income, sometimes very high income, although there is plenty of good middle class housing but it is valued higher than similar housing elsewhere in the area because of East Grand Rapids desirability. It’s the perfect town that you used to see in sit-coms in the fifties and sixties, maybe even better because of Reeds Lake.

Eastown and East Hills are walk-able too but not for everyone. Eastown for decades has been the city’s hip neighborhood and is more diverse, (East Grand Rapids is almost exclusively white.) Housing stock is not as nice as EGR although the Ottawa Hills neighborhood within Eastown is for the most part as nice as EGR but without the price premium. As you go west you come to the edge of East Hills. Until about ten years ago this wasn’t a place you’d want to live if you didn’t have to. But it’s become gentrified and is the new hip neighborhood; maybe hipster neighborhood is a better phrase. Housing stock for the most part is another step or two down from Eastown since this area was mostly built and occupied by blue collar workers originally, although there is plenty of new construction and remodeling going on.




The Detroit Institute of Arts is in the same class as the Chicago Art Institute. The GR Art Museum, or GRAM as its called, is not even close. There is enough artsy stuff in Grand Rapids to keep you busy if that's your thing but it isn't in the same league as Chicago or Detroit, but then Grand Rapids is only three hours from Chicago or Detroit even if you drive slow like me.

Weather is not going to be much different than Chicago. Because of lake effect, it will be just slightly warmer in the winter and just slightly cooler in the summer, but there will be more snow.
This pretty much sums it up nicely. ^^^

I'm actually surprised there's a home for rent in that area. It's probably gone already. And watch out for Craigslist rental listings, a lot of them are scams recently (don't send a security deposit and first month's rent Western Union!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 AM
 
4,213 posts, read 3,936,228 times
Reputation: 7068
Pretty well done analysis by Walker46. I live in 49506 between Easttown and the East Hills. If you were looking to move to Grand Rapids and get an urban walkable experience I'd say the neighborhoods east of Division between Fulton and Wealthy would be perfect for you. You could also include the neighborhoods as far north as Michigan when you include the Heritage Hill area. The housing stock heading east from downtown in that area was upper middle class during the early 20th century. The neighborhoods have a ton of character. These neighborhoods were also some of the hardest hit during the decline of the 60s-80s, but have really resurged and gentrified in the last 20 years. The housing and landscape isn't nearly as manicured as East Grand Rapids, but with all of the investment in the area it's rapidly changing.


In terms of the arts Grand Rapids will never be on the level of a Chicago or Detroit. However for a city it's size it performs very well, which is in no part ironic given the deep pocketed philanthropy that supports it.

Last edited by mjlo; 02-09-2017 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2017, 09:29 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
3,112 posts, read 5,679,450 times
Reputation: 4436
I feel like someone should point out to the O.P. that Grand Rapids is only slightly warmer than Chicago. During an arctic cold snap it might be 5 degrees in Chicago and 15-20 in GR. And that depends on wind direction, etc. Other times during the winter there might be no difference at all or it could be colder in GR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2017, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,885 posts, read 17,872,244 times
Reputation: 3875
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I feel like someone should point out to the O.P. that Grand Rapids is only slightly warmer than Chicago. During an arctic cold snap it might be 5 degrees in Chicago and 15-20 in GR. And that depends on wind direction, etc. Other times during the winter there might be no difference at all or it could be colder in GR.
You just did.

I have to say though, having family and friends in Chicago and visiting many times in the winter, it always seems to be windy, which makes the wind chill really bad. Must be all of those plains to the West.

But yeah, Grand Rapids is certainly not "warm" in the winter by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:21 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top