Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,068,190 times

Advertisements

I usually don't post lists because they are fairly meaningless. Grand Rapids certainly gets put on it's fair share. I am often surprised on this website the misconceptions people have about GR, where most people think it's little more than a slightly less sleepy version of Akron. I came across this list from a travel website talking about the 20 most over looked cities in the country and GR was on it at #18.

DK Eyewitness Travel

Per usual GR is represented by a boring picture(this time the Ford Museum). I suppose it could be better than overplayed 3 building river front marquee shot. That view does nothing to show the true scope of the city. Either way, do you think GR is overlooked, overhyped, or gets about as much attention as it should for a city of it's size and out of the way location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 12:23 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
I think that it is overlooked and under-booked. Michigan is not a pass through state on the way to someplace else, the way that many other state/cities are. Hence, its location does not offer it any free advertisement.....and its not really big enough yet to have its own gravitational pull.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:07 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,144,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think that it is overlooked and under-booked. Michigan is not a pass through state on the way to someplace else, the way that many other state/cities are. Hence, its location does not offer it any free advertisement.....and its not really big enough yet to have its own gravitational pull.
You may disagree with me but I think there are 5 things which could have Grand Rapids gain more national attention.

1. A professional sports team. Sort of like Norfolk/Virginia Beach which is overlooked despite its size. My theory is that when a city does not have a professional sports team, it kind of takes a back seat in people's psyches.

2. A few more sky-scrappers.

3. A robust transportation system - even trolley cars would give the city a flair.

4. Consolidation of Grand Rapids with Walker, Wyoming, East Grand Rapids, Grandeville, Grand Rapids Charter Township, and Kentwood. The population would tip it over 392,000 surpassing 400,000 people in the near future; and

5. Grand Valley University rising in its rankings.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:24 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
I think it is overlooked because of the weather.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
You may disagree with me but I think there are 5 things which could have Grand Rapids gain more national attention.

1. A professional sports team. Sort of like Norfolk/Virginia Beach which is overlooked despite its size. My theory is that when a city does not have a professional sports team, it kind of takes a back seat in people's psyches.

3. A robust transportation system - even trolley cars would give the city a flair.

4. Consolidation of Grand Rapids with Walker, Wyoming, East Grand Rapids, Grandeville, Grand Rapids Charter Township, and Kentwood. The population would tip it over 392,000 surpassing 400,000 people in the near future; and

I agree with all those things. However, its hard to get attention with Chicago and Detroit as neighbors, plus Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Cleveland. When you sit out alone like Omaha and Des Moines.....your the BIG DEAL for hundreds of miles.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:07 AM

Really....to me....the biggest sell for Grand Rapids is its proximity to Lake Michigan. I would like to see a more robust tourist strip in Grand Haven, Holland, Muskegon area, with hotels, boardwalks and the like. It should be a destination area for the summer. The Grand Rapids urban area should be contiguously merged with the Lake Shore area. They would be great compliments of one and other. Michigan has to use what it's got to get what it wants, in terms of tourism and growth. Invest more into Michigan Adventure amusement park. The lake shore should be fun and sun in the summer months, with water parks, kind of like Wisconsin Dells.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:19 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:

The metro here is over 1 Million. People don't really care what the population is of the municipalities that make up a metro area. I have no idea how many people live in Aurora, Colorado but I certainly know how big Denver is. If Aurora merged with Denver it would mean nothing to the rest of the US population.

If you don't have a major league sports team, most people are never exposed to you. Having the Goodyear Blimp fly over your downtown on prime time television (even if it's ESPN) does wonders for your image.

A few more skyscapers doesn't really do much.

The number of conventions and visitor attractions here are the only way to really get people to take notice, and in conjunction with IndenturedServant said, the lakeshore helps a lot with that. It's why Experience Grand Rapids uses the lakeshore in all of its marketing. Asheville North Carolina and Branson Missouri don't have skyscrapers to speak of but I rarely find people who haven't heard of either city.

Outdoor competitions as well. People travel from all over the country to participate in biking, running and marathon events here, because the courses are so interesting and challenging. More of those certainly helps.

For a city Grand Rapids' size though, I'd say it's gotten quite a bit of national attention in the last few years.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:30 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,144,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The metro here is over 1 Million. People don't really care what the population is of the municipalities that make up a metro area. I have no idea how many people live in Aurora, Colorado but I certainly know how big Denver is. If Aurora merged with Denver it would mean nothing to the rest of the US population. That is because Denver is already a large city and well known - it doesn't need to have a larger imprint on the books.

If you don't have a major league sports team, most people are never exposed to you. Having the Goodyear Blimp fly over your downtown on prime time television (even if it's ESPN) does wonders for your image. I think having a professional sports team which is televised and being a contender gives the city recognition.

A few more skyscapers doesn't really do much. I completely disagree especially when the city doesn't have that many. If Chicago were to build a few more sky-scrappers, then I would be in agreement. But when a city is trying to carve out a skyline that distinguishes itself, that's a different story. Having a few more sky-scrappers gives more of a big city feel.

The number of conventions and visitor attractions here are the only way to really get people to take notice, and in conjunction with IndenturedServant said, the lakeshore helps a lot with that. It's why Experience Grand Rapids uses the lakeshore in all of its marketing. Asheville North Carolina and Branson Missouri don't have skyscrapers to speak of but I rarely find people who haven't heard of either city. Yes, the lakeshore is part of the quotient in marketing the city, and leaving people with a certain impression of the area.

Outdoor competitions as well. People travel from all over the country to participate in biking, running and marathon events here, because the courses are so interesting and challenging. More of those certainly helps Yes, again another part of the forumula.

For a city Grand Rapids' size though, I'd say it's gotten quite a bit of national attention in the last few years. Yes, I agree.
My post was about 5 ways to improve the vision many wish to portray for the city...basically it is a dynamic decent size urban area which holds its own. The lakeshore and events are also ways to contribute to this marketing. It is all about psychology - just like the economy.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
My post was about 5 ways to improve the vision many wish to portray for the city...basically it is a dynamic decent size urban area which holds its own. The lakeshore and events are also ways to contribute to this marketing. It is all about psychology - just like the economy.
I definitely think the area would benefit from a Division I college. I think in 10 or more years....Grand Valley should go DI. I think a D1 college will manifest before a professional sports franchise. GRR also needs to get more direct flights and more competition. I think an improved skyline would be akin to a man in a "good suit". It sells. Again, however, its the lake shore area that can set GR a cut above the other peer cities of around 1 million. Currently the Lake Shore area is nice.....but vision is needed to make it MORE a destination area for the Midwest region, in terms of water parks, hotels, beeches etc.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:31 PM

211 posts, read 370,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I definitely think the area would benefit from a Division I college. I think in 10 or more years....Grand Valley should go DI. I think a D1 college will manifest before a professional sports franchise. GRR also needs to get more direct flights and more competition. I think an improved skyline would be akin to a man in a "good suit". It sells. Again, however, its the lake shore area that can set GR a cut above the other peer cities of around 1 million. Currently the Lake Shore area is nice.....but vision is needed to make it MORE a destination area for the Midwest region, in terms of water parks, hotels, beeches etc.
Agreed I've said this for years grand valley needs to be D1. It would make for a bigger profile and might give us a chance to host NCAA games I read somewhere years ago grand rapids is the largest city in the nation woitout a D1 program within 30 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area