Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 12:49 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times

Advertisements

In searching on Ziillow I'm seeing some decent looking homes for under 120K. The neighborhoods don't look that bad...yet it seems to be here on this forum most people talk about decent housing being way more expensive than that. What am I missing?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 05:50 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
In searching on Ziillow I'm seeing some decent looking homes for under 120K. The neighborhoods don't look that bad...yet it seems to be here on this forum most people talk about decent housing being way more expensive than that. What am I missing?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/
How can you tell from zillow that the neighborhoods don't look that bad? Have you looked at the crimemapping sites?

Old 04-25-2017, 07:55 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Yeah I think you can find them in decent neighborhoods. I would be careful of a decent chunk of the SE side, and other random parts of the city. Usually the safest neighborhoods with the cheapest housing tend to be in Northern Wyoming. If there are specific houses your looking at you can always DM with questions and I can give you insight. There are only a few areas that I would truly avoid.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times
Thanks mjlo I might take you up on that. I don't think if we move we will be buying anything right away but moving to an area with affordable housing is one of the reasons we are considering Grand Rapids. I did bring up some crime information. It looks like on that list above Wyoming has a fair amount of crime, I would probably steer clear of those. But some in the NW corner of the city look pretty decent, or some ones right above I96 looked OK. Just pondering.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I grew up in the part of GR that's now called 'Westside Connection' (known on the West side as 'Up the Hill' back in the day) and my parents still live there kind of by Blanford Nature Center and I saw one or two listings from that Zillow page in that neighborhood. Used to joke that it was so boring the rest of the city, including the criminals, didn't know it existed because it was statistically one of the safest parts of Kent County for many years. It's still in this odd place where it flies under the radar for most people, but has long had its share of regional movers and shakers. At different time, my parents neighbors have been a Mejier, the athletic director of GVSU, a longtime city commissioner, and the superintendent of GRPS.

Mostly post-war housing with often large lots (other neighbors had backyard ponies) and I think it was one of the last areas annexed into the city before Walker incorporated itself. While there are some interesting mid-century homes there if that's your thing, it probably won't every be really trendy. But easy to get into town via Lake Michigan drive to I-196 on the south or cut up to Walker and take 3 Mile to I-96/US 131 to the north of the neighborhood.

The city of Walker also tends to fly under the radar of most including the criminals, though there are some subdivisions that get larger homes. Would recommend either of those areas if you see homes (likely smaller ones) show up in that price range.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:40 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I grew up in the part of GR that's now called 'Westside Connection' (known on the West side as 'Up the Hill' back in the day) and my parents still live there kind of by Blanford Nature Center and I saw one or two listings from that Zillow page in that neighborhood. Used to joke that it was so boring the rest of the city, including the criminals, didn't know it existed because it was statistically one of the safest parts of Kent County for many years. It's still in this odd place where it flies under the radar for most people, but has long had its share of regional movers and shakers. At different time, my parents neighbors have been a Mejier, the athletic director of GVSU, a longtime city commissioner, and the superintendent of GRPS.

Mostly post-war housing with often large lots (other neighbors had backyard ponies) and I think it was one of the last areas annexed into the city before Walker incorporated itself. While there are some interesting mid-century homes there if that's your thing, it probably won't every be really trendy. But easy to get into town via Lake Michigan drive to I-196 on the south or cut up to Walker and take 3 Mile to I-96/US 131 to the north of the neighborhood.

The city of Walker also tends to fly under the radar of most including the criminals, though there are some subdivisions that get larger homes. Would recommend either of those areas if you see homes (likely smaller ones) show up in that price range.
True, true, the whole West Side has gotten more attention because the East side has gotten so overpriced. Some very nice neighborhoods along Covell, Leonard, the Highlands Golf Course (which is being sold into a land trust and preserved as green space), all the way to Wilson. And many people don't know that city of Walker/Kenowa Hills Schools has an extremely low property tax rate, around 27 mills. The downside is they have a city income tax but it's not that much. The city of GR also has the same income tax rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area