Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:21 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Went numerous times and we are in fact driving out tomorrow to look at open houses for my sister-in-law. We've been all over at all times of the year. We usually hang out in downtown and near the in-laws to the east.

Grand Rapids strikes me as the "Savannah" of Michigan. The historic housing stock is stupendous like in Savannah. Both are home to some very good regional unviersities, but none that define the city like Ann Arbor or Athens, GA. With some luck and proper development, I think it could easily gain the national reputation Savannah has as a beautiful destination city.

Thanks to the Devos family, you get the sense that GR is trying to become a big city destination through some big-time investment in civic buildings. I'm not sold if this is the best thing. Flashy investments into concentrated areas that outsize overall development in the city have a danger of producing white elephants that can push development in the wrong direction. As a crowning feature in a master plan, these investments can be a great thing that seals the deal, but I don't get the sense that these big-time developments are crowning anything but themselves. A perfect example of this is Stanford University's campus. There are buildings EVERYWHERE because every donor wants their name prominently displayed on a public building. This has produced a disjointed and overdeveloped, sprawling campus.

Overall, the future does look bright and here's hoping it continues!
That's obviously an ongoing debate around Grand Rapids about all the "names on buildings". On one hand, it does get to be a little ostentatious to have (what seems to be) everything downtown named after the big donors, especially the big Amway families of Devos and Van Andel. On the other hand, I don't think Grand Rapids would have a first-rate arena, an amazing new art museum, the Midwest's first JW Marriott, and the rapidly expanding Van Andel Institute without having big benefactors in town willing to reinvest their Billions into the city (Richard Devos and Fred Meijer on the Forbes 500 Richest every year most notably). I have a feeling without them giving back and taking the risks, downtown Grand Rapids would look a lot like Flint, Saginaw or Toledo.

The big debate is whether all this reinvestment has spurred other investment from other companies, which I would think should be the goal. Recently there have been scores of small companies moving into downtown office space (mainly the loft conversion spaces). Maybe the tipping point is close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,595 times
After spending a day in GR, I now think the greatest strength is not downtown, but the neighborhoods. That's why I would move there. I suppose it might explain why downtown is so empty, but I forgot how many people walk around the neighborhoods. It's bustling in a good way and people are extremely friendly. Joggers, dog walkers, walkers, baby strollers, etc. You just don't see it too often in our automobile/weekend-flat-screen-tv-warrior culture. The layout has a lot to do with it. There isn't just one huge retail area, but each neighborhoods seems to have a smattering of retail - lots of healthy mixed-use development without large thoroughfares serving as artificial "friction" boundaries. Essentially, people have somewhere to walk and they don't have to fear crossing busy four-lane streets or unpleasant highway overpasses. Outside of downtowns, and even in them, you just do not see that type of foot traffic in most neighborhoods.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
After spending a day in GR, I now think the greatest strength is not downtown, but the neighborhoods. That's why I would move there. I suppose it might explain why downtown is so empty, but I forgot how many people walk around the neighborhoods. It's bustling in a good way and people are extremely friendly. Joggers, dog walkers, walkers, baby strollers, etc. You just don't see it too often in our automobile/weekend-flat-screen-tv-warrior culture. The layout has a lot to do with it. There isn't just one huge retail area, but each neighborhoods seems to have a smattering of retail - lots of healthy mixed-use development without large thoroughfares serving as artificial "friction" boundaries. Essentially, people have somewhere to walk and they don't have to fear crossing busy four-lane streets or unpleasant highway overpasses. Outside of downtowns, and even in them, you just do not see that type of foot traffic in most neighborhoods.
Yeah, downtown is sort of quiet a lot of the time, except around lunchtime during the week (especially in warm weather). Then it's got a pretty good vibe to it. It'd be nice if more retail and residents were downtown, to give it a feel like downtown Ann Arbor.

But you're right about neighborhoods. East Grand Rapids especially is one of my favorites. It's almost too perfect in the Summer, with scores of people out walking, biking, running, stollers, you name it.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:50 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Grand Rapids has great museums and art galleries. The arena brings in a lot of cultural activities to the city as well. Like any large city, though, it has neighborhoods that aren't exactly safe as well as neighborhoods that are just the opposite. I grew up in the area and I'm in Grand Rapids almost every day. I happen to think it's a pretty nice place.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 PM

845 posts, read 3,271,251 times
Quote:
I agree... East Hills, Heritage Hill and especially East Grand Rapids (which isn't a neighborhood...but close enough) are always full of pedestrian traffic. It's refreshing.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,798 times
ok take it from someone who grew up here and is still living here...i want out the crime rates are ****ty and the ppl here are all rude... get used 2 it... not a place 2 live no jobs or anything... night life blows and the collages are taint... if u get into one good luck paying for it or getting any type of assistance... have fun on the 2 year waiting list probibly 5 now lol..they need 2 stop building useless **** that high class ppl have 2 work in... look around noone is high class here... were all pooor

Old 12-16-2008, 04:03 AM

20 posts, read 71,179 times
i lived in grand rapids as a kid from '83 to '89, on fuller ave near martin luther king park. i was too young to really care about or comprehend where i was living but i have good memories of it. i remember my dad took me to some spot near the river downtown and there was a statue of an astronaut that really blew my mind

(on further googling this appears to be outside the gerald ford museum. is it still the same statue from the 80s?)

Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa tweedle View Post
i lived in grand rapids as a kid from '83 to '89, on fuller ave near martin luther king park. i was too young to really care about or comprehend where i was living but i have good memories of it. i remember my dad took me to some spot near the river downtown and there was a statue of an astronaut that really blew my mind

(on further googling this appears to be outside the gerald ford museum. is it still the same statue from the 80s?)
Yes, the same statue is still there.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:44 AM

76 posts, read 242,520 times
After living here for five years I have had the displeasure of observing some of the rudest people I can imagine, and some of the poorest drivers.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:39 AM

5 posts, read 20,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephie_love View Post
ok take it from someone who grew up here and is still living here...i want out the crime rates are ****ty and the ppl here are all rude... get used 2 it... not a place 2 live no jobs or anything... night life blows and the collages are taint... if u get into one good luck paying for it or getting any type of assistance... have fun on the 2 year waiting list probibly 5 now lol..they need 2 stop building useless **** that high class ppl have 2 work in... look around noone is high class here... were all pooor
this post illustrates my main apprehension about living in grand rapids proper- the public school system leaves a bit to be desired
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area