U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 686 times

Advertisements

I recently moved out of a house/trailer that I left with very minimal damage after 2 years, like $150 that I agreed with. Upon walk-thru the manager said "you'll get your whole deposit back." Corporate mailed the letter for damages within the legal time frame, however they mailed it to my rental address forcing USPS to forward it, even though I provided my forwarding address; so I got the notice on the 5th day, Michigan only allows tenant to respond within 7 days. I responded immediately and overnight mailed it to get it there on the 7th day (with proof of delivery.) On the itemization they sent they also did not follow-law regarding the notice to dispute font and size, its there but it's not in the law mandated font and size. They're trying to charge me $800 for painting the whole unit, which Michigan says is wear and tear, as it's not damaged walls, they're just painting just to paint in between tenants, as usual because they use cheap flat paint. They're trying to charge for "cracks in drywall" that comes from the house settling as it was brand new when I moved in, the manager acknowledged on the walk-thru they were there and not my fault. I also got 2 different reasons why they're painting, manager said because of the nail holes (minimal and also wear and tear) and corporate said dirty beyond normal wear and tear, which I have video of to show it's not totally horrendous.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=W9NanBuiq14

Is there any reprocussions for them blatantly breaking law regarding them trying to charge me to paint the whole unit, knowing they can't as well as the other things they know is not damage caused by me but from the house settling. Any reprocussions for the wrong font on the notice they sent? Can I sue for double damages if I don't get court papers from them on the 45th day? If/when I do sue them do I sue for my whole deposit plus the punitive, or just the amount of my deposit I don't agree they can keep?

I received a response from them saying they still aren't giving me back anything on the 43rd day, along with some pictures, that still doesn't show $1200 worth of damage, anyone with eyes could see that! But no court papers. Response came from corporate so I assume local manager can still file within the next 2 days.

My main question is this: Do they lose ALL rights to the damages, even the ones I agreed to if they don't sue me by the 45th day? Sounds like it on MCL 554.613

I thought this place would be somewhat Law-abiding as it's owned by lawyers, clearly they think they can get away with stuff that they didn't expect I would know the laws on. Which I also cited the MCL codes in my response letter.

Forgive the terrible grammar/punctuation I'm typing on my phone.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area