U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 05:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,414 times

Advertisements

We're being transferred near Big Rapids for work and planning to move somewhere along 131 closer to GR. My husband and I have two kids: daughter going in 8th grade, our son --a hockey and tennis player--going into 11th grade. This is going to be a challenge for two teens who are on the shy side. I've read many posts praising Rockford HS, but it's huge (to us) at 1900+ students! I just want a nice place where we can find some caring people and help make this move easier. Thank you so much for any advice you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 06:07 AM

4,213 posts, read 3,933,251 times
I'd look at the Cedar Springs School district first. It's immediately north of Rockford, but not as flashy. Rockford's High School has almost 2k students with just 10, 11, and 12th grades in the building. I believe Cedar Springs is around 1500 students with all 4. Cedar Springs is about 17 miles from downtown GR so it seems a little further out, but it is definitely seeing suburban growth. You are close to Rockford amenities but with a closer knit community feel. To live in this area will be about a 10 minute shorter commute to Big Rapids than Rockford.

If you want to be closer to the city than that I would look at Comstock Park, Northview, or Kenowa Hills. All smaller suburban districts than Rockford.

Comstock Park is the smallest of these school districts, a plus being immediate access to US-131, about 5-10 minute drive to downtown. The Comstock Park area borders Rockford to the SW, the Grand River to the east with Alpine Ave making it's western border. It sits on top of the city of Walker and a small portion of it borders Grand Rapids itself. To live in this area would add another 10 minute commute time from Rockford. The people who live in Comstock Park are surprisingly tight knit. I've had two siblings graduate high school from this district. (I graduated from Rockford)

Kenowa Hills is just west of Comstock Park, a bit larger and more suburban. To live in this area would another 5 minutes of commute time from Comstock Park. Kenowa Hills encompasses the northern parts of the city of Walker as well as parts of Alpine Twp, and eastern Ottawa County.

Northview is on the other side of the river from Comstock park. It mostly encompasses areas of Plainfield Township and GR Township. I believe the high school size is relatively similar to Kenowa. There is no immediate freeway access from the Northview areas so it would add an additional 10-15minutes on to a commute compared to Rockford. Pluses for Northview include immediate access to the nicer emerging commercial corridor on the East Beltline, as well as being near more upscale areas of the metropolitan area.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,414 times
mjlo--you are amazing!!! Thank you so much!! I'll research today.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:30 AM

8,885 posts, read 17,867,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I'd look at the Cedar Springs School district first. It's immediately north of Rockford, but not as flashy. Rockford's High School has almost 2k students with just 10, 11, and 12th grades in the building. I believe Cedar Springs is around 1500 students with all 4. Cedar Springs is about 17 miles from downtown GR so it seems a little further out, but it is definitely seeing suburban growth. You are close to Rockford amenities but with a closer knit community feel. To live in this area will be about a 10 minute shorter commute to Big Rapids than Rockford.

If you want to be closer to the city than that I would look at Comstock Park, Northview, or Kenowa Hills. All smaller suburban districts than Rockford.

Comstock Park is the smallest of these school districts, a plus being immediate access to US-131, about 5-10 minute drive to downtown. The Comstock Park area borders Rockford to the SW, the Grand River to the east with Alpine Ave making it's western border. It sits on top of the city of Walker and a small portion of it borders Grand Rapids itself. To live in this area would add another 10 minute commute time from Rockford. The people who live in Comstock Park are surprisingly tight knit. I've had two siblings graduate high school from this district. (I graduated from Rockford)

Kenowa Hills is just west of Comstock Park, a bit larger and more suburban. To live in this area would another 5 minutes of commute time from Comstock Park. Kenowa Hills encompasses the northern parts of the city of Walker as well as parts of Alpine Twp, and eastern Ottawa County.

Northview is on the other side of the river from Comstock park. It mostly encompasses areas of Plainfield Township and GR Township. I believe the high school size is relatively similar to Kenowa. There is no immediate freeway access from the Northview areas so it would add an additional 10-15minutes on to a commute compared to Rockford. Pluses for Northview include immediate access to the nicer emerging commercial corridor on the East Beltline, as well as being near more upscale areas of the metropolitan area.
I don't even think Cedar Springs High School is that big, I think it's less than 1000 in the high school.

But yes, CS would probably make the most sense.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:12 AM

10 posts, read 14,325 times
I lived in Rockford for many years and it not a great school system. Maybe 25 years ago but now, it has terrible drug problems resulting in deaths and suicides. My daughter had a friend comment suicide in middle school and was bullied so bad she begged to move. The high school cares about one thing, SPORTS.

Mjlo, have you great areas! I would head in that direction for sure!

Old 10-09-2017, 07:38 AM

6 posts, read 3,555 times
Smile Traffic

Another thing to consider, if you will be working in (near) Big Rapids I would stay north of Rockford because of the traffic along 131 from Rockford south. From Cedar Springs to Big Rapids it would be about a 35 minute drive. If you are driving in bad weather that will make the trip longer. I'm just thinking of trying to make it to the kids sporting events/school functions after work. Do you currently live in MI? If so than you know what I mean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area