U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 11:41 AM

41 posts, read 59,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropertyByKatie View Post
Oh my gosh you are going to LOVE Michigan! Yes we get snow but that is part of the magic! You'll do just fine.

We have winter festivals with snow mobile races, ice sculptures and crazy people doing an ice plunge!
There are Tulip and Maple syrup festivals. Balloon and Melon festivals, more craft shows than you can shake a stick at! Of course the nationally acclaimed Art Prize.

Lets not forget the Wine and Beer tours, Lighthouse tours and just about any other tour you can think of!

Have you checked out www.experiencegr.com or SOM - State of Michigan These can be helpful.

Since you want some elbow room you could look almost anywhere in a radius of GR and find anything from a couple of acres to 10+ acres. It gets rural pretty quick once you get outside of GR. I live south of GR on a lake. LOVE IT! It takes me 35 minutes to get to my office in central GR but after work I can sit on my deck enjoying the view or go out fishing!

Jobs in GR? Yep that also. People with skills are always needed. I can get you more information on specifics if you'd like.
Hope this helps!
Yea! I made my first trip to Michigan last weekend and I did love it! Can't wait to move next year after winter is over!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 AM

9,151 posts, read 17,793,231 times
The I-196 corridor can still be a little insular, even though its not as bad as it used to be.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:58 AM

3,396 posts, read 4,425,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspadella11352 View Post
Thank you. What about Zealand, Grand Haven, Hudsonville schools? I don't think we can afford Forest Hills.
Forest Hills is a large district with three High Schools; Central, Northern, and Eastern. The large area means there is great diversity in the socio-economic conditions within the District. You should be able to find an affordable home you love within the Forest Hills district if you were strongly considering Rockford.

My in-laws live in the GR area (some in Rockford schools, some in Forest Hills schools, some in other districts) and the area gets LOTS of snow compared to us in the Detroit area. You should expect weekly snow events of 3 inches or more throughout the winter - although rare winters see very little snow. Grand Rapids falls within the Lake Effect snow area, a weather belt that dissipates 30 miles or so East of Grand Rapids.

Equip your cars with Winter Tires for the winter months and plan for longer, slower commutes.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 11-18-2017 at 07:09 AM..

Old 11-18-2017, 12:13 PM

8,885 posts, read 18,145,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Forest Hills is a large district with three High Schools; Central, Northern, and Eastern. The large area means there is great diversity in the socio-economic conditions within the District. You should be able to find an affordable home you love within the Forest Hills district if you were strongly considering Rockford.

My in-laws live in the GR area (some in Rockford schools, some in Forest Hills schools, some in other districts) and the area gets LOTS of snow compared to us in the Detroit area. You should expect weekly snow events of 3 inches or more throughout the winter - although rare winters see very little snow. Grand Rapids falls within the Lake Effect snow area, a weather belt that dissipates 30 miles or so East of Grand Rapids.

Equip your cars with Winter Tires for the winter months and plan for longer, slower commutes.
I was going to say the same. There are areas of Rockford that are more expensive than Forest Hills. You can even pick up a 1950's era ranch home in parts of Forest Hills for under $200,000.

The snowbelt line isn't exactly like that. I find a huge difference between Allendale (where I work a lot) and Forest Hills (where I live) in the amount and severity of the snow.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I was going to say the same. There are areas of Rockford that are more expensive than Forest Hills. You can even pick up a 1950's era ranch home in parts of Forest Hills for under $200,000.

The snowbelt line isn't exactly like that. I find a huge difference between Allendale (where I work a lot) and Forest Hills (where I live) in the amount and severity of the snow.
A huge difference in snow accumulation between Allendale and Forest Hills? So which area gets less snow then? Thanks

Old 12-04-2017, 08:38 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,162,410 times
Quote:
A huge difference in snow accumulation between Allendale and Forest Hills? So which area gets less snow then? Thanks
Forrest Hills will get less snow. Allendale is about 12 miles from the lakeshore. Something about how lake effect snow functions it is heaviest at roughly 10-20 miles inland. The further away you get from the lakeshore after that the less snow you get. For instance Lansing sits about 90 miles east of the lake and it gets almost HALF the amount of snow Grand Rapids does at 25 miles away. Where Grand Rapids averages around 80 inches of snow a year, places in the snowbelt Allendale falls in can routinely get over 100 during a normal snow season.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:02 PM

8,885 posts, read 18,145,651 times
Quote:
Here's an example of a lake effect snow event I found online:

Here you can see the 2013/2014 season, which was a big year for snow around here. Ottawa County is smack dab in the middle of that red area West of GR.

When really cold air comes in from Canada and goes across the "relatively" warm big lake, it creates bands of snow that drop in a band of area that runs pretty much US-131 and westward. We definitely get more snow here in Forest Hills than a lot of the lower peninsula, but it's noticeably less than Ottawa County.

Last edited by magellan; 12-04-2017 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-04-2017, 03:16 PM

Cool thanks for that! I had no idea, guess I will keep my house hunting on the east side.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:19 PM

181 posts, read 256,652 times
You've probably got enough answers, but I'll add my two cents since I'm both from the West Coast and from the desert, so I know what it it's like to move to Michigan from those backgrounds.

You'll totally be fine, but it's an adjustment to be sure. I moved Michigan from Temecula, California in 2006. I grew up in the Mojave desert in California. I think I was pretty nervous when I first moved here. I had no idea how to deal with snow, or snow removal, or driving in it. That last one scared me the worst. But like others have said, it's not a constant onslaught of feet and feet of snow, unless maybe if you live right by the lake shore during an especially hard winter, but even then, they know how to deal with it and are prepared.

The cold will be a shock, and your first winter will be the hardest to deal with. But you truly do acclimate to it. After you've been here awhile, once you've gone through a few days or maybe even weeks of sub-freezing temps, temps in the forties really do feel "warm". LOL. Just buy heavy coats, good boots, scarfs, hats, etc etc and you'll be fine.

Driving? Generally not as scary as I thought it would be, but it does depend on the vehicle. I currently drive a Ford 500 AWD and that thing is a tank in the snow, but my last car was a Ford Focus wagon and I felt like my life was in jeopardy every time I drove it in snowy or rainy weather, it was awful. Anyway, the rule of thumb for me has been: take it slow. Pay attention. And ice is different than snow...if it's icy out, just try to wait it out if you can!

Something to think about is that you will have way less sunshine here than what you are used to. It's not non-existent, but way less than AZ. But you are also from Oregon so maybe that's not a concern.

Good luck!

Edit: Forgot to say - I love the winter! At least for the first month or so haha. I like the change of seasons. Just when I really start to get sick of winter, it changes to spring. So I've always just embraced winter here, and I find it to be beautiful. Especially around Christmas, like right now! I've always wanted, and never had, a white Christmas until I moved to Michigan!

Old 12-16-2017, 05:31 PM

Thank you! The more and more I hear from people who have moved there from warmer climates the more confident I am in our decision to relocate. I am not a sun lover so the clouds won't bother me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area