Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:51 AM

108 posts, read 81,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspadella11352 View Post
Yes that's what I am doing by asking this question here, because I have no realistic clue what the snow is like having never experienced that. When we got one inch of snow in the Willamette valley of Oregon, schools closed, the city closed, and there were fatal car accidents because it only happens once or twice a winter. That is my only snow experience, so forgive me for being ignorant. I can only assume the worst because I have never been there and judging by the huge amount of Michiganites that winter in the east valley and clog up our roads from October to April, I can only imagine it must be bad for them to want to come to this hell hole. Thanks for the insight, that seems much more doable than I imagined. The summers spring and fall sound like a dream!
I've lived in Oregon and Michigan. It blew my mind how people reacted to snow in Oregon, but they did have SOME merit to their "overreaction". The roads were SUPER slick in Oregon because they didn't have salt trucks, or near enough plows. If you're going to live on acerage I'd invest in a snowblower, but you don't need a pickup with a plow lol. I've always just gotten by with a shovel and a 4wd vehicle. Snow has been SUPER light here the past 2 years. I'd be surprised if schools closed more than 3 days total last year. It's really the cold and the grey skies that get you. West Michigan has more cloudy days than Portland, OR. Basically, Nov-March is just cloudy and cold as hell. We get snow, but it's not as bad as like Buffalo (granted, every couple years or so we get a freak snow storm, so you never know)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 12:08 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
Ooh I had no idea that was even a thing....hiring a snow plowing service. Thanks for the tip!

Oh boy, is it ever a thing. My husband and I keep meaning to line up a service every fall, then we forget, and end up having a mild winter, so we always laugh about the $$ we've saved.

By the way, you are to be congratulated on leaving the ninth circle of hell that is Phoenix, and on your excellent good taste in choosing The Great Lakes State. Here you're allowed to have a yard with grass, and you can water it too, when you want! Our peaches, cherries, and apples are the best anywhere in the USA, and our governors are less....nutty than Arizona's have been, historically.

Welcome!!

Old 09-18-2017, 03:50 PM

108 posts, read 81,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Ooh I had no idea that was even a thing....hiring a snow plowing service. Thanks for the tip!

Oh boy, is it ever a thing. My husband and I keep meaning to line up a service every fall, then we forget, and end up having a mild winter, so we always laugh about the $$ we've saved.

By the way, you are to be congratulated on leaving the ninth circle of hell that is Phoenix, and on your excellent good taste in choosing The Great Lakes State. Here you're allowed to have a yard with grass, and you can water it too, when you want! Our peaches, cherries, and apples are the best anywhere in the USA, and our governors are less....nutty than Arizona's have been, historically.

Welcome!!
When you make it here this might be almost true again!

Old 09-23-2017, 08:58 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,167 times
A lot of companies offer snow removal in the winter and then lawn mowing/leaf removal in the summer/fall. Craigslist is a great place to locate companies to give a quote which will be dependent on the size of your driveway and yard. The pricing is reasonable generally about $35 to $40 each visit for a typical driveway or yard. There are yearly contracts will make the cost lower. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:07 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
A lot of companies offer snow removal in the winter and then lawn mowing/leaf removal in the summer/fall. Craigslist is a great place to locate companies to give a quote which will be dependent on the size of your driveway and yard. The pricing is reasonable generally about $35 to $40 each visit for a typical driveway or yard. There are yearly contracts will make the cost lower. Good luck.
We just signed up again, $200 for the entire winter season. Anything over 3 inches (?) they will plow. Last winter they got off easy and probably only plowed 6 times, but this year I expect to get our money's worth.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:47 AM

10 posts, read 21,970 times
I would stay away from Rockford. It is not a good school district at all. Yes, it outwardly gets awards but it has a lot of drug problems and suicides there are bad. Neither one is talked about, they like to keep it hidden, it is all about public image. We lived there for many years and will never go back. The best school district is going to be Forest Hills.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:56 AM

7 posts, read 6,409 times
Oh my gosh you are going to LOVE Michigan! Yes we get snow but that is part of the magic! You'll do just fine.

We have winter festivals with snow mobile races, ice sculptures and crazy people doing an ice plunge!
There are Tulip and Maple syrup festivals. Balloon and Melon festivals, more craft shows than you can shake a stick at! Of course the nationally acclaimed Art Prize.

Lets not forget the Wine and Beer tours, Lighthouse tours and just about any other tour you can think of!

Have you checked out www.experiencegr.com or SOM - State of Michigan These can be helpful.

Since you want some elbow room you could look almost anywhere in a radius of GR and find anything from a couple of acres to 10+ acres. It gets rural pretty quick once you get outside of GR. I live south of GR on a lake. LOVE IT! It takes me 35 minutes to get to my office in central GR but after work I can sit on my deck enjoying the view or go out fishing!

Jobs in GR? Yep that also. People with skills are always needed. I can get you more information on specifics if you'd like.
Hope this helps!

Old 10-09-2017, 10:19 PM

27 posts, read 33,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halll5150 View Post
I would stay away from Rockford. It is not a good school district at all. Yes, it outwardly gets awards but it has a lot of drug problems and suicides there are bad. Neither one is talked about, they like to keep it hidden, it is all about public image. We lived there for many years and will never go back. The best school district is going to be Forest Hills.
Nowadays you get that in any school district.
Its not a location thing, it's bad parenting.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:21 AM

63 posts, read 78,570 times
I think the best thing about the Rockford area is the amount of outdoor activities the general area promotes. It is a great area for Fishing for trout, Kayaking or Canoeing the Rogue River through many DNR access sites and publicly held land. Additionally Luton park and Merrill trails are awesome for trail running, walking and Mountain biking. Many of the public boat launches in the Greater Grand Rapids area are located in or around the Rockford School district also. The downtown area is special also. Neat shops and restaurants to visit along with the 93 mile long White Pine trail.

Map - Friends of the White Pine Trail

Old 11-16-2017, 10:38 AM

41 posts, read 77,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halll5150 View Post
Thank you. What about Zealand, Grand Haven, Hudsonville schools? I don't think we can afford Forest Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area