Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 04:10 PM

49 posts, read 67,621 times

Advertisements

I'd move to GR in a flash if I could afford it. Housing may seem "bargain" to those coming from larger cities, but coming from northern Michigan it's rather pricey.

How far away from GR do you have to live in order to find decent housing in the the $60-$75K range? I realize there are homes in this range for sale in GR but I doubt they're in safe neighborhoods. If I'm wrong about that, I'd enjoy hearing about such neighborhoods.

Otherwise, what are some outlying towns that might offer homes in my price range? Lowell is less expensive that GR but still up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 07:08 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeEffect2 View Post
I'd move to GR in a flash if I could afford it. Housing may seem "bargain" to those coming from larger cities, but coming from northern Michigan it's rather pricey.

How far away from GR do you have to live in order to find decent housing in the the $60-$75K range? I realize there are homes in this range for sale in GR but I doubt they're in safe neighborhoods. If I'm wrong about that, I'd enjoy hearing about such neighborhoods.

Otherwise, what are some outlying towns that might offer homes in my price range? Lowell is less expensive that GR but still up there.
Honestly I'm not sure you could find a house in this range in the metro area unless you settled for one of the neighborhoods in the city that haven't had a lot of resurgence. Maybe parts of northern Wyoming. It tends to be more working class, but pretty safe. Other than you'd have to start in the rural parts of the satellite counties like Ionia, Montcalm, or Newaygo.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:53 AM

Thanks for your response, mj. I'll check out northern Wyoming. Otherwise it doesn't look too promising. IF I settle as far out as Newago or Ionia, I doubt that I'd partake in the social/cultural aspects of GR that draw me to the area.

Last edited by LakeEffect2; 03-09-2017 at 05:01 AM..

Old 03-09-2017, 07:35 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
Quote:

I would say that a house at that price range in a rural area may also not be a safe area.

Muskegon and surrounding area you may have more luck.

Go here, type in your price range, and see what comes up. The Grand Rapids MLS/real estate board covers a pretty large area:

http://www.grar.com/residential/

Old 03-09-2017, 02:09 PM

Magellan,
Thanks for your comments and the link to GRAR. Very useful.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
If you could somehow bump up your price from 60-75k to about 110k you could find something in Grand Rapids.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,376 times
If you can find something just inside Ionia county (past the eastern boundary of Kent County) and near I-96, you will have lower real estate prices and lower taxes. But you can still get to 28th street in 20 minutes and to downtown GR in 30 minutes. If you get too far from I-96 out there then GR becomes much less convenient. The school districts aren't as desirable but it's still a safe area. Most of the growth from GR stops at the Kent County line as you head east and the prices reflect that. You also get what you pay for to an extent, because Ionia county has poor roads, less conveniences, and is just less attractive in general than Kent County.

If you do a GRAR search and search the Saranac or Lakewood school districts, or the Saranac or Clarksville zip codes, you will find houses in the area I'm talking about.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:16 PM

Default Wyoming???

A person here in northern Michigan who once lived in the Grand Rapids suburb of Wyoming says that is a decent and safe place to live with affordable housing.

Any comments? One website, niche.com, gives it mixed reviews with a "C" rating on safety. What's going on there? Is it safe to walk streets at night? Any gang problems?

Thanks.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:22 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
Quote:
A person here in northern Michigan who once lived in the Grand Rapids suburb of Wyoming says that is a decent and safe place to live with affordable housing.

Any comments? One website, niche.com, gives it mixed reviews with a "C" rating on safety. What's going on there? Is it safe to walk streets at night? Any gang problems?

Thanks.
Wyoming is a pretty large suburban community. It has older parts that are basically inner city, and brand new neighborhoods that border Byron Center and Grandville. You have to see it to understand.

But yes Wyoming has traditionally been a place where you could find a nice small ranch in a nice neighborhood but that's changing as the market continues to be hot.

Last edited by magellan; 07-02-2017 at 07:31 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 04:37 PM

Thank you, Magellan. I'll check out web real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area