Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 11:08 AM

67 posts, read 76,872 times

Advertisements

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences, particularly with differences in pay, benefits, housing, and dealing with winter. Thanks! (Feel free to note where you are in your career: entry-level, mid-career, senior)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 08:02 AM

Wow. No one on this board has moved from the pricier suburbs of Detroit to the Grand Rapids area and is willing to talk?

Old 07-26-2017, 09:00 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,068,190 times
Perhaps if you lay this out with the questions you have we may be able to provide insight

Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
My son did for school. But as a student, he does not have much experience with the things you are looking for. Winters are snowier - for him that translates into decent paying jobs from time to time. He has no problem driving in it. It is the same thing just more. Affordable apartments are readily available in both Allendale and in GR. Lots of cool places to visit like Southhaven (they have a great dog beach nearby). I think he might not mind staying in the area, but he is not particularly keen on staying. he will go wherever a job takes him as long as there is water to row on.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:36 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueA2 View Post
Wow. No one on this board has moved from the pricier suburbs of Detroit to the Grand Rapids area and is willing to talk?
This forum section has fallen off the radar for a lot of transplants. Probably a lot of discussion boards are suffering from competition from Facebook and other social media. Or people find this forum in a search and find the answers they were looking for in one of the hundreds of previous threads?

Either way, I know a ton of people here who moved from the suburban Detroit area.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My son did for school. But as a student, he does not have much experience with the things you are looking for. Winters are snowier - for him that translates into decent paying jobs from time to time. He has no problem driving in it. It is the same thing just more. Affordable apartments are readily available in both Allendale and in GR. Lots of cool places to visit like Southhaven (they have a great dog beach nearby). I think he might not mind staying in the area, but he is not particularly keen on staying. he will go wherever a job takes him as long as there is water to row on.
Thanks for your input.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:36 PM

181 posts, read 298,244 times
Well it's been awhile but I moved to the GR area from Oakland County in 2010. I think the general answer is you'll find the pay and housing costs to be roughly the same, depending on where you end up living. The biggest difference to me is the overall vibe of West Michigan vs. Metro Detroit. Detroit has a much more urban, harder, kind of east coast-ish feel to it, whereas West Michigan feels very mid-western. It's a much smaller feel here. GR is a decent size, and there are smaller mid sized cities scattered about, but generally it's more country feeling over here than SE Michigan. As far as winter goes, you'll find there to be more snow over here, from either a bit to a lot, depending on where you live. Generally more snow the closer to the lake you go, and the farther north you go. Roads are horrible here but actually better than the roads near Detroit. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
View detailed profiles of: