U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2017, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,885 posts, read 17,872,244 times
Reputation: 3875

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I don't see how by sheer size of the city alone their wouldn't be more in terms of actual numbers. I don't think that was being disputed. I the point trying to be made is that Grand Rapids is further along in it's gentrification than the aforementioned cities, and the "hipster" presence tends to be more widespread through many different neighborhoods comparatively.
My big problem with this whole thing is that the original study done by realtor.com used 49506 as the zip code, which has a median home price of $387,000. That's not anywhere close to reality, as 49506 incorporates some of the nicest neighborhoods in Grand Rapids and East Grand Rapids.

"Study" might be an exaggeration.

https://research.realtor.com/hottest...rkets-america/

Median home prices for Grand Rapids zip codes 49503, 49504 and 49505, which incorporates most of the city, is (according to zillow) about $137,400.

The metro area median home value is probably getting close to $180,000 - $190,000. Average SALE PRICE for homes sold in the last month, last time I checked, was about $202,000, for the ENTIRE METRO AREA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2017, 09:21 AM
 
4,213 posts, read 3,936,228 times
Reputation: 7068
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
My big problem with this whole thing is that the original study done by realtor.com used 49506 as the zip code, which has a median home price of $387,000. That's not anywhere close to reality, as 49506 incorporates some of the nicest neighborhoods in Grand Rapids and East Grand Rapids.

"Study" might be an exaggeration.

https://research.realtor.com/hottest...rkets-america/

Median home prices for Grand Rapids zip codes 49503, 49504 and 49505, which incorporates most of the city, is (according to zillow) about $137,400.

The metro area median home value is probably getting close to $180,000 - $190,000. Average SALE PRICE for homes sold in the last month, last time I checked, was about $202,000, for the ENTIRE METRO AREA.
Agreed - These lists are starting to get annoying. Although i'm sure the people compiling these lists in their bubble somewhere in New York are not going to get any deeper than looking at the zip code demographics. They would have no way of knowing they are combining some of the poorest neighborhoods in Grand Rapids, next to the fastest Gentrifying neighborhoods in Grand Rapids, and including the wealthiest city in Kent County. It's definitely an inaccurate representation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Windsor Ontario/Colchester Ontario
1,539 posts, read 1,497,037 times
Reputation: 1799
[quote=magellan;49841766]Sure in a 4 square mile area. The other 138.2 square miles of neighborhoods filled with mostly African American non-hipsters continue to empty out (and who can blame em).

I love Detroit but you can't really say hipsters are either ruining or destroying Detroit. Wayyyyyy to early to say. 30-40 years maybe.[/QUOT
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,885 posts, read 17,872,244 times
Reputation: 3875
[quote=North 42;49847653]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Sure in a 4 square mile area. The other 138.2 square miles of neighborhoods filled with mostly African American non-hipsters continue to empty out (and who can blame em).

I love Detroit but you can't really say hipsters are either ruining or destroying Detroit. Wayyyyyy to early to say. 30-40 years maybe.[/QUOT
.
You quoted me but didn't comment North 42.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Windsor Ontario/Colchester Ontario
1,539 posts, read 1,497,037 times
Reputation: 1799
[quote=magellan;49865923]
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post

You quoted me but didn't comment North 42.
Yes, sorry, I was interrupted when I was beginning to post, but now I can't quite remember what I was gonna say, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,885 posts, read 17,872,244 times
Reputation: 3875
[quote=North 42;49866026]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post

Yes, sorry, I was interrupted when I was beginning to post, but now I can't quite remember what I was gonna say, lol.
Haha, no worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Suburbs of Grand Rapids
76 posts, read 124,344 times
Reputation: 30
Problem with GR is it is landlocked, and they are trying to put too much downtown. Making it look like a mini Detroit, the way Detroit looked before it suffered the economic crash. Housing costs going thru the roof, and getting harder to find low income housing for disabled people and folks on fixed incomes. Many are moving out of town, to areas out side of the metro area. Still GR has a lot to offer though. Major construction on I-196 thru center of town on the east/west line, will cause some problems next spring/summer, but people will work thru that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2017, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
8,530 posts, read 17,081,922 times
Reputation: 9496
Fashionistas are inbound next?

https://www.vogue.com/article/best-c...y-home-america
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2018, 07:02 PM
 
4,213 posts, read 3,936,228 times
Reputation: 7068
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
That's fairly good company for the city to be lumped in with. I think both Nashville and Raleigh are and echelon above GR when it comes to pretty much everything, but I think that list is another good showcase of how the cities real estate market and economy are keeping it much more competitive than cities it would otherwise be lumped in with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2018, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,885 posts, read 17,872,244 times
Reputation: 3875
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
That's fairly good company for the city to be lumped in with. I think both Nashville and Raleigh are and echelon above GR when it comes to pretty much everything, but I think that list is another good showcase of how the cities real estate market and economy are keeping it much more competitive than cities it would otherwise be lumped in with.
I agree, I think that Nashville and Raleigh ARE a cut above Grand Rapids in many ways. But good company for sure and there are a lot of dramatic changes coming to GR in the next 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top