U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-03-2017, 02:22 AM
 
12 posts, read 10,178 times
Reputation: 32

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking to possibly relocate to Grand Rapids also from Phoenix like another poster. I am originally from South Jersey and I have been in Phoenix for a year and the lack of seasons and diversity is already getting on my nerves. I've been doing my research and have landed on Michigan. I am 30 and I have 2 dogs. Is Grand Rapids a good place for a younger single person? I like a balance of outdoor activities and dining and cultural activities. Thanks for any info!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2017, 12:33 PM
 
Location: between three Great Lakes.
2,153 posts, read 2,333,767 times
Reputation: 7533
Grand Rapids is right up your alley! Dog lovers abound here, as does everything else on your wish list. And, unlike Phoenix, you are allowed to have a yard! With grass!
Look here for descriptions of various G.R. neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2017, 05:08 PM
 
1,137 posts, read 663,843 times
Reputation: 4413
I hope this is still active...


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-EhLdZ8PcQ

Been to Phoenix. Live near Grand Rapids.

I'll never go back to Phoenix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2017, 05:14 PM
 
12 posts, read 10,178 times
Reputation: 32
Phoenix is nice to visit but I don't love living here. I work for the government so as long as I can get a transfer my salary will only go down 3% for an a somewhat lower cost of living. I want to buy a house with a big yard for the pups the yards here are micro sized.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2017, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,885 posts, read 18,156,429 times
Reputation: 3893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydoglady7 View Post
Hi all,

I am looking to possibly relocate to Grand Rapids also from Phoenix like another poster. I am originally from South Jersey and I have been in Phoenix for a year and the lack of seasons and diversity is already getting on my nerves. I've been doing my research and have landed on Michigan. I am 30 and I have 2 dogs. Is Grand Rapids a good place for a younger single person? I like a balance of outdoor activities and dining and cultural activities. Thanks for any info!
I would say the answer to your question is "yes." An abundance of outdoor activities, a lot of 30 something singles (a lot more than 10 years ago for sure), a plethora of foodie destinations, and cultural activities.

To be upfront though, winters are snowier than Jersey.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2017, 01:17 AM
 
12 posts, read 10,178 times
Reputation: 32
I seem to now want to live in only cold areas. I know Michigan gets a lot more snow but I'm okay with that. All the other places I've looked into are a lot more expensive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2017, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,885 posts, read 18,156,429 times
Reputation: 3893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydoglady7 View Post
I seem to now want to live in only cold areas. I know Michigan gets a lot more snow but I'm okay with that. All the other places I've looked into are a lot more expensive.
I do quite a bit of outdoor sports (biking, hiking, xc skiing) and I think the best temperatures are between 58 - 72 degrees. We have a LOT of days in that range. I couldn't live somewhere where it's over 80 degrees for 6 months out of the year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2017, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
9,198 posts, read 17,828,039 times
Reputation: 10786
Do rent the first year here if you make the move. A lot of the under-30s live and play in the higher density urban core and it give you time to drill down and find a place with a big back yard that's reasonably priced by national standards and not far from both open space and places you want to socialize. There are a good number of those kind of home options around here (some of the fringes of the city proper only got annexed in the late 60s and were at times developed with very large yards), but you do have to do some more detailed looking and waiting for those kinds of homes to come on the market.

My parents live close to the Grand Rapids-Walker border where acre lots are not uncommon and the biggest problem they have is that the city of GR will not do anything about the deer herds taking out neighborhood landscapes and they're about 15-20 minutes to downtown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2017, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,885 posts, read 18,156,429 times
Reputation: 3893
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Do rent the first year here if you make the move. A lot of the under-30s live and play in the higher density urban core and it give you time to drill down and find a place with a big back yard that's reasonably priced by national standards and not far from both open space and places you want to socialize. There are a good number of those kind of home options around here (some of the fringes of the city proper only got annexed in the late 60s and were at times developed with very large yards), but you do have to do some more detailed looking and waiting for those kinds of homes to come on the market.

My parents live close to the Grand Rapids-Walker border where acre lots are not uncommon and the biggest problem they have is that the city of GR will not do anything about the deer herds taking out neighborhood landscapes and they're about 15-20 minutes to downtown.
We have that problem and we're just a 1/2 mile from the GR city limit. I just spray all the landscaping with deer repellent, that smells like wolf ****. And the coyotes!! I hear coyotes only about 500 yards from our house in the summer at times.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top