Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 08:40 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,175,095 times

Advertisements

I'm curious how GR rates on speciality health care.
Cancer, immunosuppressed diseases, neurosurgeons etc.

I currently live in another state, smaller city but it has 2 new hospitals, several older ones, 2 networks, decent Dr's and a wide variety of specialities and treatments that are pretty easy to get into without long waits.

Thinking of retiring in northern michigan but health care there is minimal. If push came to shove I'm wondering if traveling to GR would be an option, quality of care wise.

(Yes I know logistics can be problematic but that's not what I want to discuss in this thread).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 05:02 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,795,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm curious how GR rates on speciality health care.
Cancer, immunosuppressed diseases, neurosurgeons etc.

I currently live in another state, smaller city but it has 2 new hospitals, several older ones, 2 networks, decent Dr's and a wide variety of specialities and treatments that are pretty easy to get into without long waits.

Thinking of retiring in northern michigan but health care there is minimal. If push came to shove I'm wondering if traveling to GR would be an option, quality of care wise.

(Yes I know logistics can be problematic but that's not what I want to discuss in this thread).
My oldest daughter goes to an Endicrinologist at Spectrum Health downtown and I've heard people checking in at the desk from all over Northern Michigan, as far away as Mackinaw City.

Other than that I don't know how the area compares to where you're coming from overall.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:23 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,175,095 times
Thank you.

how about hospitals? New ones? Good ones?

Old 03-12-2018, 09:06 AM

5,260 posts, read 5,991,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Thank you.

how about hospitals? New ones? Good ones?
Big ones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Rapids_Medical_Mile

This link might give you some insight into health care in Grand Rapids. It talks about the Medical mile and the several hospitals and specialty centers on Michigan St in Downtown Grand Rapids. It's a sprawling campus that has several specialty programs including a huge cancer center, and a separate huge heart center. This does not include the sprawling campus of St. Mary's and Mercy Health's focus, which includes the new huge Mary Free Bed Rehab hospital a couple blocks away. Nor does that account for the research and medical trials coming out of the Van Andel institute, and the MSU school for human medicine with it's brand new research facility.

Over the last couple of decades the research cluster surrounding the Grand Rapids hospitals has had investments in the several billion dollar range. While it is not the Cleveland, or Mayo Clinic, there are still people coming to GR from all over to get specialized treatments. I do not know the exact data but the surge in medical specialties, and the talent it has attracted places Grand Rapids in a unique spot compared to it's peers. I have a hard time believing you wouldn't be able to find anything you would need here. The activity going on here was enough to make U of M Health finally realize there is a western side of Michigan so they bought Metro Health which is anchored on the south side of the metro. They were starting to lose patients who no longer needed to travel to Ann Arbor because of the programs in Grand Rapids.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:53 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,795,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Big ones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Rapids_Medical_Mile

This link might give you some insight into health care in Grand Rapids. It talks about the Medical mile and the several hospitals and specialty centers on Michigan St in Downtown Grand Rapids. It's a sprawling campus that has several specialty programs including a huge cancer center, and a separate huge heart center. This does not include the sprawling campus of St. Mary's and Mercy Health's focus, which includes the new huge Mary Free Bed Rehab hospital a couple blocks away. Nor does that account for the research and medical trials coming out of the Van Andel institute, and the MSU school for human medicine with it's brand new research facility.

Over the last couple of decades the research cluster surrounding the Grand Rapids hospitals has had investments in the several billion dollar range. While it is not the Cleveland, or Mayo Clinic, there are still people coming to GR from all over to get specialized treatments. I do not know the exact data but the surge in medical specialties, and the talent it has attracted places Grand Rapids in a unique spot compared to it's peers. I have a hard time believing you wouldn't be able to find anything you would need here. The activity going on here was enough to make U of M Health finally realize there is a western side of Michigan so they bought Metro Health which is anchored on the south side of the metro. They were starting to lose patients who no longer needed to travel to Ann Arbor because of the programs in Grand Rapids.

Hope this helps.
Yes, Spectrum Health is massive now and one of the largest employers in West Michigan. The hospital campus downtown is huge, and they have hospitals all over West Michigan.

Mercy Health/St Mary's just expanded quite a bit over the last 5 or 10 years. Metro Health is now owned by University of Michigan and has a brand new hospital in Wyoming/Byron Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area