Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 09:42 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times

Advertisements

Pizza-shaped tower proposed downtown would be tallest Grand Rapids building | MLive.com

I think the Mlive article has some details mixed up. From what i understand this building would cantilever over Louis Avenue and also take up space where the current parking garage is from the former Michigan Nat'l bank site. Not just the "pizza" shaped lot on Fulton.

This is proposed by Hinman Development out of Portage which has decent sized portfolio of holdings. This would certainly be the most ambitious project from them. Biggest hurdle right now is getting it past the HPC since it sits in a historic neighborhood. It would be Grand Rapids new tallest building. However these big projects usually start off big and shrink a bit by the time ground breaks.(There are some rare cases of them getting bigger.)

I do think we will start to see a scale back of some of these more ambitious projects downtown. Inventory is catching up to demand pretty quick and it seems like everyone is trying to get in on this action. Downtown would need a shot in the arm via a corporate relocation or something else to keep the momentum going. The traditional organic growth in downtown GR is now being outpaced by the ambitious developers. There will likely be a correction at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 05:43 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Pizza-shaped tower proposed downtown would be tallest Grand Rapids building | MLive.com

I think the Mlive article has some details mixed up. From what i understand this building would cantilever over Louis Avenue and also take up space where the current parking garage is from the former Michigan Nat'l bank site. Not just the "pizza" shaped lot on Fulton.

This is proposed by Hinman Development out of Portage which has decent sized portfolio of holdings. This would certainly be the most ambitious project from them. Biggest hurdle right now is getting it past the HPC since it sits in a historic neighborhood. It would be Grand Rapids new tallest building. However these big projects usually start off big and shrink a bit by the time ground breaks.(There are some rare cases of them getting bigger.)

I do think we will start to see a scale back of some of these more ambitious projects downtown. Inventory is catching up to demand pretty quick and it seems like everyone is trying to get in on this action. Downtown would need a shot in the arm via a corporate relocation or something else to keep the momentum going. The traditional organic growth in downtown GR is now being outpaced by the ambitious developers. There will likely be a correction at some point.
My wife's family is always late for everything. Consequently, when planning events with them, such as parties, if we want them to get there at 5 we will say it begins at 3. It seems as of late....if you want to put up a 25 story building in Grand Rapids.....you have to propose it as a 40 story building.

Grand Rapids developers seem like rookies compared to other cities.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:37 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
My wife's family is always late for everything. Consequently, when planning events with them, such as parties, if we want them to get there at 5 we will say it begins at 3. It seems as of late....if you want to put up a 25 story building in Grand Rapids.....you have to propose it as a 40 story building.

Grand Rapids developers seem like rookies compared to other cities.
Technically they are rookies. For most of these developers, this is their first crack at a high rise.

Grooters has said he'll never do another one after River House was such a debacle to get built.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:41 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
This kind of irked me, but when it said 'pizza shape', it made me think the tower was pointed as it rose. I think a more appropriate term is a flatiron building to describe the building's footprint and likely triangular shape.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
This kind of irked me, but when it said 'pizza shape', it made me think the tower was pointed as it rose. I think a more appropriate term is a flatiron building to describe the building's footprint and likely triangular shape.
Someone did a sketchup over here.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:15 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Someone did a sketchup over here.
Don't do that! That looks so good on the skyline that I am going to be really disappointed if this does not happen. It's best not to build expectations....and salivation with stetchups like that.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:13 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,483 times
Quote:
Don't do that! That looks so good on the skyline that I am going to be really disappointed if this does not happen. It's best not to build expectations....and salivation with stetchups like that.
Lol. I wish we could see a sketch of 6 more buildings in the skyline.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Lol. I wish we could see a sketch of 6 more buildings in the skyline. BTW what is going on with the development plan for 2 towers on Lyon and Ottawa?

Partners plan two towers on prime downtown lot | Orion Construction

The original building that was supposed to be built back in the 30s (I think) was really nice.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Lol. I wish we could see a sketch of 6 more buildings in the skyline. BTW what is going on with the development plan for 2 towers on Lyon and Ottawa?

Partners plan two towers on prime downtown lot | Orion Construction

The original building that was supposed to be built back in the 30s (I think) was really nice.
It's still chugging along. Apparently there's a rendering out there somewhere that supposedly looks pretty cool. I have not seen it yet though.

The Lyon and Ottawa tower that was proposed there back in the late 90's or early aughts was pretty cool.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:28 PM

40 stories of 'awesome' OK'd by preservation board | MLive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area