Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 05:32 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times

Advertisements

Considering a move in the future and since we love the Midwest, the lake/beach and lots of snow, GR seems like it may be a good fit. What areas would you suggest that offer minimum 1-acre lots, top-rated schools and home prices between $400K and $700K?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 01:13 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Rockford area (multiple suburban or more rural townships, Ada Township, Cascade Township, Grand Rapids Township, Caledonia.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:10 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Considering a move in the future and since we love the Midwest, the lake/beach and lots of snow, GR seems like it may be a good fit. What areas would you suggest that offer minimum 1-acre lots, top-rated schools and home prices between $400K and $700K?

Thanks!
You can find one acre lots in any of the surrounding suburbs around the Grand Rapids area, with homes in that price range. As mjlo mentioned, any of the townships that make up the Forest Hills Schools area, Rockford Schools area, Caledonia, and I'd even add Byron Center, Allendale and Hudsonville for good schools.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
If you're looking at a property in the Rockford area that's on well water, do be aware of the ongoing water quality concerns up there due to dumped industrial chemicals getting into the water table.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you're looking at a property in the Rockford area that's on well water, do be aware of the ongoing water quality concerns up there due to dumped industrial chemicals getting into the water table.
Apparently i've repped you too many times recently. That's a good call, I hadn't thought about that.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:37 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Apparently i've repped you too many times recently. That's a good call, I hadn't thought about that.
I was watching the debate between John James and Stabenow last night and they touched on water issues. Is it only a concern around Rockford due to Wolverine company dumping or are there other areas in the Grand Rapids metro with water quality issues? Also, call me nuts, but I like being close to a Costco and I also want to be relatively close to Lake Michigan so looks like somewhere around Wyoming would fit the bill?

Old 10-15-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I was watching the debate between John James and Stabenow last night and they touched on water issues. Is it only a concern around Rockford due to Wolverine company dumping or are there other areas in the Grand Rapids metro with water quality issues? Also, call me nuts, but I like being close to a Costco and I also want to be relatively close to Lake Michigan so looks like somewhere around Wyoming would fit the bill?
I'm not sure they fully understand the impact of the PFAS concerns, or what if any impact PFAS actually has. It's hard to be certain with the ratings and clicks local media is getting from their sensationalized reporting on the issue. Rockford is still a growing community and I haven't heard any reports en masse about people not drinking the water. I think the issue was largely isolated to rural areas with wells.

In terms of a happy medium to the lake and costco, sounds like your best bet would be the following:

Hudsonville
Jenison
Jamestown Township.
Grandville
Wyoming (south of 44th st)
Byron Township.

Maybe Zeeland/Zeeland Twp. That's more Holland area, but still only about 15-20 minute drive to Costco if the freeway is slow.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:40 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Yes, it is primarily well water in the Rockford and even Cedar Springs area. All of the places where Wolverine used to have manufacturing facilities and dumped their chemicals in makeshift landfills around the area (this was back in the 60's and 70's when very few people cared about the environment).

In the city of Grand Rapids you'll still find some areas with lead pipes, just like many urban cities around the country, which can be tested and the pipes replaced. The city is starting to do that with much of its outdated areas.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap...g_to_repl.html

In your price range, you might be one of the most expensive homes in Wyoming. You might try further South into Byron Center, or West into Hudsonville area. You'll find neighborhooods with $500K+ homes in them on pretty big lots.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:42 AM

63 posts, read 78,604 times
Magellan is spot on with his assessment of property values in Wyoming. According to the local MLS (Multiple Listing Service ) www.GRAR.com, there has only been 3 properties sold in the past year over the $400k mark in the city of Wyoming. All three were in Grandville schools also. However, the water supply from the City of Wyoming recently announced non detect levels of PFAS through the Michigan Department of environment Quality (MDEQ).

http://https://www.wyomingmi.gov/Abo...Drinking-Water

This is great news for Wyoming water customers and since I am one, I was waiting for the results for weeks. My thought would be to locate the properties that are in other cities due to the lack of a higher price point in Wyoming that are close to a Costco that are served by City of Wyoming Municipal water supply if you want to live on the South and West side of Grand Rapids, MI. This would not be very hard to achieve since Wyoming does serve many communities on the South and West side of Grand Rapids.

Sadly, The PFOS/PFOA problem will not be going away anytime soon. It also is not just local to Rockford. Rockford has raised our awareness on this chemical and has alerted us to other potential areas as well. I attended a local continuing education program hosted by some attorneys who are involved in this current litigation with Wolverine World Wide. It is true that the awareness came from Wolverine World Wide but now we have discovered that many air force bases including one in New Mexico who reported high PFAS levels in their drinking water as well. I heard this on the news this morning. Turns out that man made chemical compound just does not break down very easily naturally and is still being used in many products today including waterproofing materials like Goretex, stain proofing material like stainmaster carpet and even wax paper we wrap food in.

The good news is that we do have water filtration systems that are working to remove this pesky chemical. So that is good!

Last edited by GrandRapidsNative; 10-17-2018 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: spelling and added a couple sentences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area