Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 01:14 PM

10 posts, read 15,653 times

Advertisements

Possibly relocating to Grandville, Mi from our current research it looks similar to where we currently live. We enjoy where we currently live, so hoping to find something similar near Grand Rapids. We at first wanted more acreage, but realize lots Appears to be .25 which is similar to our current home. So acceptable.

Appears ratings for schools are good. Is there currently overcrowding issues at middle school and high school level? In general are current Real estate listings accurate as to schools assigned? I do know to check with district before putting in offer on home.Looking at area appears to have mall and town has events and festivals also mirrors our current village which we enjoy.

Are you happy with services public works, water, sewage etc.? Snow removal good/reliable to get to I-96 for commute? Water public water , no well correct? Are sewers capable of holding storm water or do you get backups? Are there certain neighborhoods (names) with sidewalks walkable to town hall and library? Lastly in general any flooding or radon issues in Grandville? Just asking from life lessons taught so far in home ownership and wondering any issues we should know going in to take into account.

Would you buy in Grandville again if so why or why not?

If you couldn't live in Grandville which Grand Rapids suburb would you live in?

thank you

We appreciate your experience/opinion and hope to visit soon to confirm if it's a fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 08:03 PM

63 posts, read 78,547 times
Grandville is nice and a large portion (if not all) of their water is supplied through the City of Wyoming which is pretty highly rated. If you are using the real estate site GRAR.com, it is as good and as accurate as it can get. However the information is typically entered by real estate agents and sometimes human error can be a factor (although not likely) Services are very high in the city of Wyoming. The water and sewer is highly rated and the snow removal might be the best in West Michigan. It is possible to live in Wyoming and go to Grandville Schools too. There are around 6-7 school districts in the City of Wyoming which is pretty interesting.
Grandville has many old gravel pits in the area and I have seen a few settling issues and random high radon numbers also. I would not consider both issues to be drastically higher than many other communities in the area but in my 15 years in my industry I have seen both issues come up.
There are many awesome communities in the Greater Grand Rapids area and personally there are not too many that I would not live in or not feel safe in. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

Last edited by GrandRapidsNative; 09-23-2018 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 09-25-2018, 09:22 AM

10 posts, read 15,653 times
Default Thanks Grand Rapids Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandRapidsNative View Post
Grandville is nice and a large portion (if not all) of their water is supplied through the City of Wyoming which is pretty highly rated. If you are using the real estate site GRAR.com, it is as good and as accurate as it can get. However the information is typically entered by real estate agents and sometimes human error can be a factor (although not likely) Services are very high in the city of Wyoming. The water and sewer is highly rated and the snow removal might be the best in West Michigan. It is possible to live in Wyoming and go to Grandville Schools too. There are around 6-7 school districts in the City of Wyoming which is pretty interesting.
Grandville has many old gravel pits in the area and I have seen a few settling issues and random high radon numbers also. I would not consider both issues to be drastically higher than many other communities in the area but in my 15 years in my industry I have seen both issues come up.
There are many awesome communities in the Greater Grand Rapids area and personally there are not too many that I would not live in or not feel safe in. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

Glad to hear your positive points on the area. So what towns/ areas that city of Wyoming services should be my next area of research to get the established reliable infrastructure and services I seek? The schools are still an area I need to consider as we have school aged kids for years to come. So the Wyoming schools and Grandville schools is establsihed boundary district lines?

Are the old gravel pits waste water pits for graywater? Is it typical? Are not most Grandville homes tied directly to city sewer ?

The radon issue was something in our former home that no one disclosed nor did any agent or attorney notify us of prior to purchase so just covering the items that caused extra expense after purchase and at resale are on my mind this next time around.

AT this point I'm leaning toward established neighborhood, established infrastructure, and schools with graduation rate in upper 90's and above state average proficiency s.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:24 AM

63 posts, read 78,547 times
Maybe I was unclear. The services in Grandville and wyoming are both great. wyoming handles the sewer and water for much of Grandville. Snow removal is pretty darn good throughout the whole Metro Grand Rapids also. I just think Wyoming is the best for snow removal. Grandville and Wyoming has established boundry lines but Grandville Schools overlap into parts of Wyoming. So you can live in Wyoming but go to Grandvile schools in a small amount of wyoming neighborhoods.

Our gravel pits in this area are NOT wastewater pits for grey water. We do not do that here. (That I know of) It has been told to me from a few people that some settling issues have come from mining from hundreds of years ago. It is not common to have settling issues here.

Radon is something you can test for during your purchase. There are mitigation systems available that can be installed in most cases for less than $1000. Typically this expense is negotiated at the time of the sale and I have a large percentage of my radon systems being paid for by the seller before or during the closing process. It would not be something that an attorney would know much about since they typically do not live in the home. Most of the time the sellers of the home do not know about it either so they can only disclose what they do know. Get inspections before you buy. PM me if you need help on this.

Last edited by GrandRapidsNative; 09-26-2018 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 11-05-2018, 09:39 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator gal View Post
.....Are you happy with services public works, water, sewage etc.? Snow removal good/reliable to get to I-96 for commute? Water public water , no well correct? Are sewers capable of holding storm water or do you get backups? Are there certain neighborhoods (names) with sidewalks walkable to town hall and library? Lastly in general any flooding or radon issues in Grandville? Just asking from life lessons taught so far in home ownership and wondering any issues we should know going in to take into account.

Would you buy in Grandville again if so why or why not?

If you couldn't live in Grandville which Grand Rapids suburb would you live in?

thank you

We appreciate your experience/opinion and hope to visit soon to confirm if it's a fit.
-The wife and I were living in Alger Heights a couple of years ago and we were paying around $90 for water and sewage since we've moved to Grandville it's about a $60 water bill.
-Storm drains seem to do a pretty good job unless you're in the Buck Creek/Grand River area.
-The city, I think, has been keeping the sidewalks pretty clear in the 36th and Canal area.
-The highway is just a hop skip and a jump away, but I think Chicago drive is a lot quicker drive to downtown GR
Downtown/city hall/ library are all pretty much in one spot off of Chicago drive, and from what i can tell walkable.
-If I had the opportunity to buy another house it might be in or near Grandville, but that's only because I would want a couple of acres and no neigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
View detailed profiles of: