U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 01:56 PM

8,885 posts, read 17,870,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
If you want to go the dog beach in Muskegon, go to Kruse Park, not Pere Marquette.
You're right it is Kruse Park. It's been a long time I knew it was in the Pere Marquette Beach area.

https://goo.gl/maps/xwfxXjcbvzA2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 04:43 PM

136 posts, read 53,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
You're right it is Kruse Park. It's been a long time I knew it was in the Pere Marquette Beach area.

https://goo.gl/maps/xwfxXjcbvzA2
I live in the Muskegon area. It's perfectly fine to say it's Pere Marquette, as long as you keep your dog(s) between Kruse and the area near the bend south of the water filtration plant (and please, clean up the poop!). You can park at Kruse, or Beachwood park, or along the lake at the afore-mentioned south area if you can find a spot. The beach at Kruse is currently very small with the high water levels. But really, if you prefer going to Ottawa county, I'm am supportive of that! I avoid Savidge and Beacon like the plague in the summer. You can have it.

Last edited by mjlo; 01-06-2019 at 10:25 PM..

Old 02-22-2019, 12:49 PM

10,686 posts, read 11,872,795 times
When we lived in Grand Rapids we used to go to P.J. Hoffmaster or Holland State Park. They were a little bit of a drive, but worth it. I remember one time my wife and I were working our asses off on a friend's political campaign but we just had to make the 45 minute drive to the beach one evening to get that beach time relaxation. It was worth every minute.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:02 AM

52 posts, read 32,675 times
I have never been to Indiana Dunes for comparison to our local beaches. Now that it is reclassified as a National Park I will go so I can get another addition to my collection of National Parks that I have been to!

The only addition I can add to this list is Saugatuck Dunes State Park. It has two hiking loops. I believe one is two miles in length and the other is 6-8 miles in length. It is a conpletely different experience than many of the above named parks. Not used very frequently either. Probably because there are pit toilets and a long 20-30 minute walk to the beach on a dirt path with some elevation involved. Most people would want to limit their stuff that they are bringing because of that walk.

The walk is a great one IMO and the amount of people that are at the beach is completely different that what you would find at Grand Haven or Holland State Park. No immediate services in the area either like resturants or convenience stores. Those are a few miles away. So plan accordingly.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:11 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,023,753 times
Hi folks,

My wife and I will be driving up from Louisville headed to Grand Rapids in a few weeks and wanted to get a good idea of beach towns worth stopping at on the way up. I think we're planning a stop in South Bend to catch a South Bend Cubs game, and then start heading up the Lake coast. We haven't set a date yet, but sometime before Labor Day.

My wife's late father was adopted in GR and using ancestry.com she found a sister of his (an aunt to my wife) who is excited to meet her and so we're trying to find a good time to go up and meet her but also want to explore things on the route that are interesting as well.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:13 AM

8,885 posts, read 17,870,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Hi folks,

My wife and I will be driving up from Louisville headed to Grand Rapids in a few weeks and wanted to get a good idea of beach towns worth stopping at on the way up. I think we're planning a stop in South Bend to catch a South Bend Cubs game, and then start heading up the Lake coast. We haven't set a date yet, but sometime before Labor Day.

My wife's late father was adopted in GR and using ancestry.com she found a sister of his (an aunt to my wife) who is excited to meet her and so we're trying to find a good time to go up and meet her but also want to explore things on the route that are interesting as well.
South Haven, Saugatuck, and Holland are on the way up. All have nice beaches, Saugatuck probably having the most picturesque beaches and dunes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area