U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2019, 09:03 PM

9 posts, read 9,981 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in Missouri. She is in the process of completing her Masters in chemistry and interviewing for a position in Allegan.

What is Allegan like? I know it's a small community and described as quaint by some. What are the best places to live if someone works in Allegan? What are the corresponding commutes like?

Appreciate any replies from those familiar with the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 08:20 AM

57 posts, read 40,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt82marino View Post
My wife and I live in Missouri. She is in the process of completing her Masters in chemistry and interviewing for a position in Allegan.

What is Allegan like? I know it's a small community and described as quaint by some. What are the best places to live if someone works in Allegan? What are the corresponding commutes like?

Allegan is a growing West Michigan town. The downtown area is pretty neat with its brick buildings and sidewalks. Not a ton of national stores or any big box stores so for those you would need to go to larger towns like Plainwell, Kalamazoo or even Grand Rapids.

The downtown area is comprised of many beautiful and older built historical homes built in the late 1800's and early 1900's

Many of us in Grand Rapids Michigan, Allegan refers to an area that surrounds the actual town of Allegan by a radius of 5-10 miles. In that area there are several lakes to live on, Many of which are designated as all sports lake where visitors can use Jet Skis or other speed boats. There are many homes with larger pieces of land also so keep that as an option.

A commute to Allegan could be a 30-40 minute drive from the Southern parts of Grand Rapids, Holland and Kalamazoo. Plainwell would be a bit less than that.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:53 AM

2,138 posts, read 2,322,577 times
Allegan has a kick-ass flea market and antiques fair once a month is the summer/early fall months.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:53 PM

9 posts, read 9,981 times
Thank you!

Old 01-22-2019, 12:21 PM

111 posts, read 39,400 times
I work in Allegan but commute from Wyoming. Allegan is a sleepy river town. Very pretty and within commuting distance of Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. Allegan is small but has a cute downtown. The town is dominated by Perrigo, which has a good reputation among the residents here. For me personally, the drive from the southern suburbs of Grand Rapids is about 30 minutes should you choose to live somewhere more urban/suburban.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:38 PM

219 posts, read 464,030 times
Allegan has a very popular county fair that attracts some good music acts. I wouldn’t say Allegan is a cool, vibrant town. It’s pretty blue collar and basic. Kind of a hunter and fisherman vibe. Snowmobiling is big in that area. Most of your major shopping will be done in Grand Rapids,Kalamazoo or Plainwell at US131. The high school doesn’t seem to have good athletics except for wrestling and girls tennis.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:23 PM

357 posts, read 956,439 times
Allegan is a small town with some amenities, and like many Michigan cities, Allegan has improved quite a bit and it continues to improve as a city. It is located between a large state forest (actually a game area) and large areas of agricultural land. There is no interstate connection in Allegan. Because of this it is somewhat remote and from a commuting perspective, I would recommend living in Allegan if you work there. Of course it depends on your preferences, but I would first look in or around Allegan, because commuting on the state highways is not as easy as on the Interstate. There is some local shopping but the nearest larger shopping area is in Otsego near US 131.

There are a number of rural areas around Allegan which may be attractive to you. Otsego and Plainwell are the nearest cities, and are similar in character to Allegan. Once on US 131, the Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo areas are within range, both have very good options for neighborhoods. Some rural areas such as northwest of Kalamazoo are very beautiful, rolling hills with woods and farmland. You can also go west on 118th St or 109th St to Lake Michigan, South Haven, Saugatuck are not that far away. North on M-40 is Holland which is another larger area of cities with many high quality neighborhood choices.

Personally, I would not recommend commuting on M-40 to Holland, it has a reputation of being a dangerous route. However you should look at it yourself and make your own judgment. Also, think about your commute during winter. The lake effect snow here can be dangerous to drive in. If it were me, I would find a house in Allegan and use my time off to explore the region.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:04 PM

3,120 posts, read 5,807,844 times
Allegan is located in one of the more scenic areas in southern Michigan (excluding the lakeshore). Lots of rolling hills, the river valley, forest, and farmland surround the town. There is even a ski hill just outside of town and it’s probably the best place to ski in southern Michigan. It has a quaint downtown and a nice riverwalk. It is located in a major lake effect “snow belt”, so expect many days of clouds and snowfall during the winter.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:08 PM

54 posts, read 31,905 times
Allegan is a quiet little place. Personally I thought it too quiet. The Allegan State Forest is nearby as is Lake Michigan, a wonder all its' own as fresh water lakes go.
As one poster said no big box or national chain stores. I think there is a McDonalds, I am not sure.
Just west in the Otsego-Plainwell area ( 25 miles or so) is a Walmart and Home Depot and Meijers which shares a a lot in common with the Wal-Mart type dept. store.
Quite a few wineries across the area to visit with tasting rooms, which are very good.
Lots and lots of orchards of all types and berry farms, blueberry, strawberry etc. A huge abundance in vegetables in the fall. Chicken farms where fresh eggs can be purchased.
Rural and pastoral setting, midwestern farmhouses and the Allegan dam. A one hundred year old bridge downtown over the Kalamazoo River is the biggest attraction and the accompanying Bridge Fest. Tiny downtown.
Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids are thirty or so miles away.
Serene is how I would describe it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt82marino View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area